SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Quo Vadis Aida on Hulu
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quo Vadis Aida on Hulu Login/Join 
Picture of pulicords
posted
Someone I know that served a peacekeeping mission in the former Yugoslavia recommended this movie (drama) about the 1995 genocide ("ethnic cleansing") by Serbs as being a very well reality based drama. Very well done look at a terrible situation that illustrates how little (nothing really) has changed since the horrors inflicted by the Nazis under Hitler, the USSR under Stalin, China under Mao and to the present day, ad nauseum...

Dutch soldiers were sent on a peacekeeping mission under the auspices of the United Nations, in a miserably ineffective attempt at preventing mass murder, with nearly 10,000 civilians being systematically massacred in just one small town, right under their noses. It's a terrible story, but provides a good understanding as to what occurs during a civil war (very uncivil), and why our constitutionally recognized RIGHT to bear arms is as relevant now as it was when we took on King George. Counting on mercy from a tyrannical government is as naive as relying upon other nations (through the UN or otherwise) to do the right thing, for the right reasons, at the right time. It's a tough watch, but very well written, acted, directed, etc..., and for this reason I'd expect that although it's been nominated for an academy award, there's little chance it will win one. I'm not sure where else it's available, but you can catch it for free if you're a Hulu subscriber.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Just finished it. Seems so wrong to call it a "great movie". Perhaps "very well done" is a better way to describe it. Absolutely saddening and sickening to watch.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Thank you will watch this. We had family and friends serve there, and seems the world dropped the ball or worse turned a blind eye to this. The stories of what was done were awful...and the scale was huge. For example, mass graves found using infrared due to heat of decomp. What was done was like Germany in WW2, Russia, Armenia, etc.

I am not a believer in US being world police, but for genocide we need to stand up with the world and stop. How many know of what happened in Rwanda? True evil walks this world still.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post