SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    A Timeless Favorite Song
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Timeless Favorite Song Login/Join 
Picture of just1tym
posted
I've always loved music and guitars, always will. I played for enjoyment, jamming with others and just my appreciation for the instrument and blessed to play as many years as I did. I heard an oldie today and it's just one of those great songs that you'll never forget, and one that I played that will never be forgotten...Do you have one that is timeless?

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[FLASH_VIDEO]

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/ETkzK9pXMio [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Gordon Lightfoot, I just watched an Amazon Prime show featuring Gordon Lightfoot and many Canadian musicians. I didn't want to post in the other topic of a favorite female singer but heard a beautiful voice from one of Gordons Canadians popular singer and fan Sarah and politics aside, wanted to post her voice here..

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
In high school I was stage manager for three years. In the time the Stage Band was the closest thing we had to rock stars. About 15 of the best musicians playing simplified jazz favorites. One member introduced me to Maynard Ferguson. A few years later after consuming everything he had to offer I drifted away into Rush, Queen and the like. Sometimes in a quiet moment one Maynard song drifted through my head and I could almost reproduce this song measure for measure inside my head, but I couldn't remember the name of the song. This song was really in my head a couple of years ago, and I decided I have to find out the name of this song. Went to the internet and not knowing the name of the song or which album it was released on I struck out. Pulled out all my old vinyl and found it. I suspected it was on one of three albums. The Love Theme from the Valachi Papers. MF Horn 3. I just love the arrangement of this song. Considering this was in my head from time to time for decades I guess that makes it my favorite song.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
There are many, but Stairway To Heaven is probably the one for me. Or perhaps American Pie.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Recoatlift, Glenn and John Denver will always be held in esteem for their talent and song writing skills. They're synonymous imo in that arena, and on top of many lists to include my own.

Ensigmatic, I know growing up my neighbors were tired of hearing how many repetitions of that song I played almost daily. It was daily music nourishment, one I'll never forget, thank you for the reminder.

Regards, Will G.

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
“Cool Change” by Little River Band. Never fails to bring me back to a better place in time.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
I've always loved music and guitars, always will. I played for enjoyment, jamming with others and just my appreciation for the instrument and blessed to play as many years as I did. I heard an oldie today and it's just one of those great songs that you'll never forget, and one that I played that will never be forgotten...Do you have one that is timeless?
^ Great choice. If you have Amazon Prime, be sure to watch this: Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^
f2, thanks for the tip. Per above my 3rd post I had mentioned just recently running across it on Amazon Prime, I watched it. That prompted me to post Sarah's song as she was in the film and mentioned her connection to her relationship with Gordon. I enjoyed the movie a lot.

Additionally this oldie came to mind last night also. Harry Chapin and Taxi. I know many favor "The Cats in the Cradle" more. It was a toss up so I chose Taxi of the lesser in popularity imo. I could never get a proper handle on holding an Ovation in my lap either Smile I was surprised too that the falsetto was sung by a dude!

Regards, Will G.

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I play both If you could read my mind and Gentle on my mind. I started to learn Taxi, but never pursued it.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38600 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
A little different than the folk/soft rock genres that seems to be predominant, but this is certainly timeless to me. Besides, how often do you get to hear a glockenspiel?

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
I play both If you could read my mind and Gentle on my mind. I started to learn Taxi, but never pursued it.

6guns, boy I love his picking style on Gentle on my Mind, kind of Merle Travis plucking. I also miss hearing Wichita Lineman now that Glen comes to mind.

Regards, Will G.

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
TMats, bring up classic Hendrix was one of my all time favorites "All Along the Watchtower" on Electric Ladyland. All these throwbacks to those days are making my head swim, tons of good stuff that I've not heard or thought of in decades.

Regards, Will G.

posted Hide Post
Such peaceful music...NOT

I'm just amazed that I didn't more speeding tickets cruising to Priest. Or kill myself.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
When I saw the title of your post, I immediately though of Gordon Lightfoot's "If You Could Read My Mind"! Seriously beautiful and timeless ballad.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
I The Love Theme from the Valachi Papers. MF Horn 3. I just love the arrangement of this song. Considering this was in my head from time to time for decades I guess that makes it my favorite song.

Here ya go. Big Grin

For me I think it's this one:

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A timeless song for me is Theme from a summer place. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt7SPm7N6D8

Posts: 1190 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
A lot of good variety here. Gave me a chance to listen to some new music. I've always been all over the place music-wise over the years and found that I had a way more wider range of tastes than imagined. That is coming out of my roots of the 60's and 70's and on.

Just listening to the Maynard Ferguson M.F. Horn 3 prior to the horn coming on around the 2min mark, I heard a familiar tune from the past where my music tastes were undergoing a morph from a tad of jazz to a more classical shift. That is where I found music from the Windham Hill collections. Before starting into acoustic guitar collections from William Ackerman and Hedges, I came across a very soothing/haunting piano sound by an artist called George Winston, and his amazing playing, like one of my favorites from the "December" collection titled "Thanksgiving" what a beautiful piano instrumental, imo FWIW.

Regards, Will G.

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
When I saw the title of your post, I immediately though of Gordon Lightfoot's "If You Could Read My Mind"! Seriously beautiful and timeless ballad.

pulicords, with all the great music out there I thought I'd be alone in my choice, good choice. It was a great time in life..

Regards, Will G.

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Alright, this is my favorite song of all. Choose a version you like, I’m partial to Clapton’s, but it’s really about the song, and the way it makes me feel.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post