SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    ‘They Shall Not Grow Old’ First Trailer: Peter Jackson Breathes New Life Into Century-Old WWI Footage
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

‘They Shall Not Grow Old’ First Trailer: Peter Jackson Breathes New Life Into Century-Old WWI Footage Login/Join 
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know French and can translate this version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gr5xaKNQk8

Posts: 11158 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All the time
Picture of Gear.Up
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Did you order it off of Amazon UK? If so, are you also able to stream the movie via Amazon Prime with your order of the blu-ray disc?

I did.

No, I can't. It looks like you'd have to buy on Prime as well.

Posts: 2320 | Location: East TN | Registered: July 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Gear.Up:
I received my blu-ray copy two days ago and have watched twice so far.

Two thumbs up!

Did you order it off of Amazon UK? If so, are you also able to stream the movie via Amazon Prime with your order of the blu-ray disc?

If I order THIS from the UK it states it has a region code, will I be able to watch it in the states?

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Warner May be releasing it again in January and February. I really want to see the 3D version.

"Cinema audiences can anticipate further showings on January 11, 2019 and February 1, 2019. More details to be released by Warner Bros."

Link

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:

I'll run it by my wife. Won't be until at least tomorrow though.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw it on the 27th and I will echo all of the comments so far. It is a must see and the 3D is absolutely realistic. There are scenes that the 3D makes look amazing especially with the added sound for realism. This movie is an absolute must see if you have the opportunity.

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
I received my blu-ray copy two days ago and have watched twice so far.

Two thumbs up!

Can you post a link to the Blu-Ray? When I looked on Amazon, it stated it was a 'region 2' that would only work on European blu ray players. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All the time
Picture of Gear.Up
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:

If I order THIS from the UK it states it has a region code, will I be able to watch it in the states?

quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:

Can you post a link to the Blu-Ray? When I looked on Amazon, it stated it was a 'region 2' that would only work on European blu ray players. . .

Redstone and Hound Dog:

The link that Redstone posted is the item I bought.

It does not appear that the blu-ray is actually region coded. It plays fine on both my computer and my regular Samsung blu-ray unit.

Posts: 2320 | Location: East TN | Registered: July 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All the time
Picture of Gear.Up
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to add this to the thread.

Oxford Union recently held a debate about whether or not we appropriately "remember" the soldiers of WW I. It's tied into the release of "They Shall Not Grow Old." Here's a video of one of the speakers and this was my favorite.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0zFTiMqbjY

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:

I'll run it by my wife. Won't be until at least tomorrow though.

Here ya' go:

-A pretty smile from France
-With dimples on her cheeks
-Messy hair
-Soft blue eyes
-From birth in her cradle
-A Fairy
-With a magic wand
-Changed her destiny

(Refrain)
-Mademoiselle from Armentieres
-Do you talk?
-Do you talk?
-She hadn't spoken yet
-She already knew how to sing

-Came the age to go to school
-Learn to count
-Learn to speak
-But she was bored
-Skipping school
-Amused her
-Always happy as a lark
-She was singing her song

(Refrain)

-But a morning war started
-All the soldiers
-Who were going through
-Whispered
-Seeing her beautiful and proud
-Oh! How nice it would be
-To snuggle with her
-Sweetly until the morning

(Refrain)

-When the story is told
-Over the countries
-We also add
-She got married
-Some people with good memories
-Will tell you
-She got married
-To an English Colonel

-Do you talk?
-Do you talk?
-As she answered "Yes"
-She had a very nice husband

-Never been kissed for twenty years (in English)
-

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BrianC
posted Hide Post
I saw it Thursday in Boston. I don't know why it's in such limited release, they sold out four screens at the theatre. I found the 3D a bit distracting, but the film was fantastic! And the "making of" feature they showed afterwards was just as good. See this on a big screen if you can!

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Balze! I was just curious how the lyrics in the French version portrayed the Mademoiselle compared to the English version.

Posts: 11158 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:

Redstone and Hound Dog:

The link that Redstone posted is the item I bought.

It does not appear that the blu-ray is actually region coded. It plays fine on both my computer and my regular Samsung blu-ray unit.

thanks I really appreciate it. Looks like it is available on the US server now but it has a cautionary statement that it will not work on standard players. but I will give it a go and see how it works out.

california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Additional Jan 21 2019 showing coming up:

They Shall Not Grow Old

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Finally saw this a few weeks ago and it was fantastic, and moving.

I hope it returns to the big screen for more dates, I encouraged several people to see it but hardly any of them have had a chance given how limited the options are so far.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I have tickets for the 21 January showing. I'm finishing up a Masters degree course in "The Great War," so the timing is excellent.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Peter Jackson’s They Shall Not Grow Old Expanding to 500 Theaters

Link

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Peter Jackson’s They Shall Not Grow Old Expanding to 500 Theaters

Link

Yep, it's back, starting today in some theaters and general release tomorrow! Smile

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I think my dad and I are going to go see it again. He couldnt make it the first go round.

posted Hide Post
Wife and will see it tomorrow, finally! The other dates didn’t work for us or were sold out.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post