SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    ‘They Shall Not Grow Old’ First Trailer: Peter Jackson Breathes New Life Into Century-Old WWI Footage
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

‘They Shall Not Grow Old’ First Trailer: Peter Jackson Breathes New Life Into Century-Old WWI Footage Login/Join 
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted
It's amazing what they can do with such old footage...

‘They Shall Not Grow Old’ First Trailer: Peter Jackson Breathes New Life Into Century-Old WWI Footage

The first trailer has been released for Peter Jackson’s “They Shall Not Grow Old,” which brings breathtaking detail to century-old archival footage, presenting WWI like it’s never been seen before. Not one to shy away from a challenge, the Kiwi director, best known for “The Lord of the Rings” and “The Hobbit” trilogies, has turned out an ambitious documentary of epic proportions. His first movie in four years, since the final installment of “The Hobbit,” Jackson and his team have colorized and restored hours of WWI footage, having gained exclusive access to Imperial War Museums’ film archive and audio from BBC archives.

Created to honor the centenary of the First World War armistice, on November 11, 1918, “They Shall Not Grow Old” brings to life the reality of war on the front line for a whole new generation. The footage has been colorized, converted to 3D and transformed with modern production techniques, making the hundred-year-old footage feel like it was shot today.

“They Shall Not Grow Old” was co-commissioned by 14-18 NOW and Imperial War Museums in association with the BBC, and produced by WingNut Films and executive produced by House Productions. The film will make its world premiere at the BFI London Film Festival on October 16. A live Q&A with Jackson will be hosted by journalist Mark Kermode.

Link - They Shall Not Grow Old

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3909 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
That looks very interesting. have to check this one out for sure

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
That is simply amazing to watch video that shows the world of 100 years ago in that kind of detail.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Wow it looks good. It's definitely cool that they can do that with old footage.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Have been looking forward to this since it was announced. My grandfather fought in the Argonne. I also spent some time exploring around Verdun and Metz in late ‘90s. Even 80 years after the fighting stopped, you could still see the landscape covered by craters.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This looks amazing!

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anybody know if there's commercial software to do this?

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I must see this!!

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Tht looks amazing. I never cared for the Ted Turner treatment but this looks spectacular.

Those tanks...

I wonder how they are doing the sound?

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matai:
Does anybody know if there's commercial software to do this?

Sure, several.

But they won't be this good, and Jackson's production company, Weta Workshop, is surely using something custom or they're hand correcting the result of automated conversion.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
It appears that this is just a UK release for now...? I hope we get a chance to see it here in the States.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WW1 - probably more than any other war - just makes me ask 'Why?'

it seems so ridiculous and wasteful -- just a senseless meatgrinder -- no redeeming tactics or maneuver

Ok boys - over the top - right straight into overlapping high volume machine gun fire ... again and again

that plus the seemingly unending artillery barrages that pounded static lines mercilessly

hell on earth

--------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I'd watch that in a theater, in a heartbeat. Hope it crosses the pond.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
I wonder how they are doing the sound?

Jackson hired lip readers and actor's to provide the sound -

"Forensic lip readers, who usually work with the police determining what people say on silent security camera footage, were able to decipher the words spoken long ago on film. Actors were hired to give the soldiers on screen a voice for the 90-minute film."

link

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3909 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted October 10, 2018 02:04 PM Hide Post

it seems so ridiculous and wasteful -- just a senseless meatgrinder -- no redeeming tactics or maneuver

Ok boys - over the top - right straight into overlapping high volume machine gun fire ... again and again

that plus the seemingly unending artillery barrages that pounded static lines mercilessly

hell on earth

You left out one important detail. The use of gas. When I was a kid I worked with a WWI Vet whose lungs were severely damaged by chlorine gas. He had some tales to tell when he was able to breathe.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

hell on earth

--------------------------------------------------

It wasn’t expected to be that way. The new technology of the machine gun made protection techniques critical. The trenches only made it a stale-mate. New forms of maneuver (namely combined arms warfare), isn’t going to be invented until a couple decades later.

We all focus on new technology, but who gets new tech first almost never matters. It’s the revolution in the use that matters. The Germans and Japan didn’t invent the tank, submarine or aircraft carrier. Germans developed how to use the tank as well as combined arms warfare and effective submarine warfare. Japan used the aircraft carrier in a way no other country had ever imagined delivering a decisive blow in a way nobody thought possible at the time. So simple as well, just mass the carriers in a group and launch waves of aircraft!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
For those who expressed an interest in seeing this, it will show for two nights here in the US on December 17 and December 27.

Check here on the Fathom Events website to see if it will be in a theater near you.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheesegrits:
For those who expressed an interest in seeing this, it will show for two nights here in the US on December 17 and December 27.

Check here on the Fathom Events website to see if it will be in a theater near you.

I don't catch many movies in the theater anymore but I was hoping to see this movie and, according to the link, it will make an appearance near me, and so I think I'd like to see this one on the big screen.

Cheesegrits thanks for posting!

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
if you miss it, check justwatch to see when / where it's streaming.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post