SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    ‘They Shall Not Grow Old’ First Trailer: Peter Jackson Breathes New Life Into Century-Old WWI Footage
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

‘They Shall Not Grow Old’ First Trailer: Peter Jackson Breathes New Life Into Century-Old WWI Footage Login/Join 
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:

December 19, 12:19 p.m. EST: Warner Bros. announced an expanded theatrical run for They Shall Not Grow Old, beginning in New York, Los Angeles and Washington D.C. on January 11, with an even wider release to follow.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
WW1 - probably more than any other war - just makes me ask 'Why?'

hell on earth

War throughout the history of mankind has always been brutal.
WW1 was no exception.
Today War is fought much differently.
Some will always ask why?

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them."

Today, the Wief and I attend the latest offering from Peter Jackson and his “Wingnut Production” There weren’t any Orcs, Elves, Goblins, nor Dwarves, but there were the “poilu“ (”hairy ones”) folks who lived in holes in the ground hiding from the 1914-1918 Monster.

This film is not an historiography of the Great War with timelines and battles, but is a retrospection of what it was like for the ordinary British “Tommy” on the Western Front, but it could just as easily covered the French, German, Italian, Austro-Hungarian, or Russian soldier as their experiences would have been nearly identical.

When we arrived at the theater, I remarked to the Wife that I didn’t expect it to be very crowded, as the subject matter would be more to the interests of Historians and History majors, not the General Public, since History is a boring and dying subject in schools. I couldn’t have been more wrong! The theater seats close to 400, and it was over 90+% filled (way better than that turkey of a movie from Will Farrell). Granted, most of the patrons were of the “old fart” Boomer generation, but there were Millennials and teens, and those in between.

Once the film began, the audience was very attentive and quite throughout the showing. The subject matter and the scenes were very sobering. One of the scenes was of a British infantry company awaiting orders to advance from a sunken road position during the Battle of the Somme. As Jackson later states in the “making of” portion after the film, you were watching the last 30 minutes in the lives of those soldiers as that unit was wiped out in the advance.

Previously, Great War film footage has always been grainy, scratchy, jerky, black-n-white, but this film looks like it was just photographed yesterday. Jackson used over 100 hours of film footage from the British Imperial War Museum, and 600 hours of audio-History recordings, to make this 1&1/2-hour film. He used the latest of technology and worked his magic to make an extraordinary piece that deserves an Oscar for the documentary category.

Jackson dedicated this film to his Grandfather who was wounded on the first day of the Battle of the Somme (July 1, 1916) and whose wounds would eventually claim him some 40 years later, and to his Great Uncle who died on the Western Front in May 1915.

I understand that Warner Bros. will have an extended version release into wider viewing later in the New Year. I highly recommend that given the opportunity you should go and see it. A good companion movie to be seen with this would be the 1930 b&w movie “All Quiet on the Western Front”, as it too shows “daily life” for the common soldier, albeit German.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Just got back and I was blown away. I’m no film critic so I’m not going to spend any time trying to review it, but as a history buff, and a WWI fan in particular, I really enjoyed the movie.

Definitely stay for the half hour video after the credits to learn more about the what’s, why’s, and how’s. Some interesting stuff there.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Got an email today that starting 1/10/19 this will be playing at the theater in the American History museum

Very happy about this as I was unable to see it today (only showtimes were at 1 and 4, what the hell is up with that?!?!)

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Yeah same here, no theater within 200 miles had a 7 pm showing today. Frown

Will see it later, keep looking for showings.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Amazon USA is offering the DVD on January 3.
Amazon.co.uk has the Blu-Ray, will take longer to get it, but not bad even with shipping about $22 US, to be delivered between 1/10 and 1/14.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Saw it today and it's a powerful film. Intro by Peter Jackson made it seem that the documentary of making a documentary that appears after the credits would only be shown in the theater. In his words, it's a historical film made by a non-historian for non-historians. It doesn't go into the technicalities, the campaigns, strategies or anything else. It simply tries to show what the experience was from the soldier's point of view and it does it does it very well.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Just got back from watching it with my son. Theater was packed. It was well worth the cost of admission, and the "making of" feature after the credits was worth watching too. What they did with the over/underexposed footage was amazing.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Wife and I drove a little over an hour to go see it this evening. It was fantastic. We watched the 3D version - definitely stay for the 30 minutes after the credits as Peter Jackson explains some of the behind the scenes making of the film. Awesome work, I wish he would be given all old film to restore like that - it's amazing what he's been able to do.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Saw it tonight as well. The part that got me the most was the voice of the man telling of having to put a fellow soldier out of their misery. That was the only voice that broke during the entirety of the film, IIRC.

Posts: 11157 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
The theater closest to me that was showing it sold out online. I bought tickets online to the 4pm showing at a theater around 40 minutes away. When we got there it showed that the 4pm was sold out and they had a 4:30 showing listed on the board. I’m not sure if that was planned or just a result of the popularity.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My reading on WW1 revealed that the first several weeks of the war in Europe was a war of grand armies maneuvering with cavalry charges etc, Toward the end of 1914 the static trench warfare and senseless meat grinder began that would last until November of 1918. The world changed forever and some of the changes led to WW2 and events in the Middle East that we are still dealing with today. The shot fired by a Serbian nationalist at an Austrian Arch Duke set off a waiting powder keg of a Europe ruled by assorted royals etc. who could not wait for an excuse to go to war. I am so looking forward to this film of ordinary people who had to deal and cope with the madness they did not create.

Posts: 165 | Registered: December 23, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
i don't think this comes in a non-3d theater showing. too bad - i wanted to watch this.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MoreCowbell
posted Hide Post
Me and my girlfriend saw it yesterday afternoon we both liked it and the part explaining how everything was done was very interesting.

Posts: 117 | Registered: January 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.powerlineblog.com/...-not-grow-old-3d.php

Warners will open They Shall Not Grow Old in New York, Los Angeles and Washington, DC, on Jan. 11, with expansions to the top 25 markets on Feb. 1, Super Bowl weekend.

Posts: 19559 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
i don't think this comes in a non-3d theater showing. too bad - i wanted to watch this.

It does - we saw it yesterday in standard format.

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3921 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All the time
Picture of Gear.Up
posted Hide Post
I received my blu-ray copy two days ago and have watched twice so far.

Two thumbs up!

Posts: 2320 | Location: East TN | Registered: July 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Mademoiselle from Armentieres

Three German Officers crossed the Rhine

|: Mademoiselle from Armentieres,
Parlez-vous, :|
Mademoiselle from Armentieres,
She hasn't been kissed for forty years,
Chorus:
Hinky-dinky parlez-vous.
2. |: Oh, Mademoiselle from Armentieres,
Parlez-vous :|
She got the palm and the croix de guerre,
For washin' soldiers' underwear,
Chorus:

3. |: The Colonel got the Croix de Guerre,
The Colonel got the Croix de Guerre,
The son-of-a-gun was never there!
Chorus:

4. |: Oh, Mademoiselle from Armentieres,
You didn't have to know her long,
To know the reason men go wrong!
Chorus:

5. |: Oh, Mademoiselle from Armentieres,
She's the hardest working girl in town,
But she makes her living upside down!
Chorus:

6. |: Oh, Mademoiselle from Armentieres,
The cooties rambled through her hair;
She whispered sweetly "C'est la guerre."
Chorus:

7. |: Oh, Mademoiselle from Armentieres,
She'll do it for wine, she'll do it for rum,
And sometimes for chocolate or chewing gum!
Chorus:

8. |: Oh, Mademoiselle from Armentieres,
You might forget the gas and shell
But you'll nev'r forget the Mademoiselle!
Chorus:

9. |: Oh, Mademoiselle from Armentieres,
Where are the girls who used to swarm
About me in my uniform?
Chorus:

10. |: Oh, Mademoiselle from St. Nazaire,
The Mademoiselle from St. Nazaire,
She never washed her underwear.
Chorus:

11 |: Oh, Mademoiselle from Aix-Les-Bains,
Mademoiselle from Aix-Les-Bains,
She gave the Yankees shooting pains!
Chorus:

12. |: Oh, Mademoiselle from Montparnasse,
As soon as she'd spy a Colonel's brass,
She'd take off her skirt and roll in the grass!
Chorus:

|: Three German Officers crossed the Rhine,
Three German Officers crossed the Rhine
To fuck the women and drink the wine,
Chorus:
Hinky-dinky parlez-vous.

2. |: They came to the door of a wayside Inn,
They came to the door of a wayside Inn,
Pissed on the mat and walked right in,
Chorus:

3. |: Oh landlord have you a daughter fair?,
Oh landlord have you a daughter fair?
With lily-white tits and golden hair?,
Chorus:

4. |: My only daughter's far too young,
My only daughter's far too young,
To be fucked by you, you bastard Hun,
Chorus:

5. |: Oh father dear I'm not too young
Oh father dear I'm not too young
I've just been fucked by the blacksmith's son,
Chorus:

6. |: At last they got her on the bed,
At last they got her on the bed,
And shagged her 'til her cheeks were red,
Chorus:

7. |: They took her down a shady lane,
They took her down a shady lane,
And shagged her back to life again,
Chorus:

8. |: And then they took her to a bed,
And then they took her to a bed,
And shagged her til she was nearly dead,
Chorus:
9. |: They shagged her up they shagged her down,
They shagged her up they shagged her down,
They shagged her all around the town,
Chorus:

10. |: They shagged her in they shagged her out,
They shagged her in they shagged her out,
They shagged her up her water-spout,
Chorus:

11. |: Now seven months later all was well,
Now seven months later all was well,
Eight months later she began to swell,
Chorus:

12. |: Nine months later she gave a grunt,
Nine months later she gave a grunt,
And a little fat Prussian popped out her cunt,
Chorus:

13. |: The fat little Prussian he grew and grew,
The fat little Prussian he grew and grew,
He fucked the cat and the donkey too,
Chorus:

14. |: The fat little Prussian he went to hell,
The fat little Prussian he went to hell,
He fucked the devil and his wife as well,
Chorus:

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gear.Up:
I received my blu-ray copy two days ago and have watched twice so far.

Two thumbs up!

Did you order it off of Amazon UK? If so, are you also able to stream the movie via Amazon Prime with your order of the blu-ray disc?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post