SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Good WWII books heavily focused on actual soldier experiences?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good WWII books heavily focused on actual soldier experiences? Login/Join 
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobandmikako:
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
With the Old Breed, by Eugene Sledge.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000...encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

I'll second the recommendation for Eugene Sledge's With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa and also add Robert Leckie's Helmet for My Pillow.

A 2nd & a 3rd on these options. These are great books.

The Forgotten Highlander as well. Forgotten Highlander

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8851 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid I read "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo" several times.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's been awhile since I've read it, but The Good War by Studs Terkel was...amazing.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8766 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
It's been awhile since I've read it, but The Good War by Studs Terkel was...amazing.

I was wondering about that one.

I already bought With the Old Breed and Helmet for my Pillow on the Kindle app.

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
D Day thorough German Eyes.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I graduated boot camp for the second time, I was given these books as a gift:

American Guerrilla: The Forgotten Heroics of Russell W. Volckmann—the Man Who Escaped from Bataan, Raised a Filipino Army against the Japanese, and Became the True “Father” of Army Special Forces Mike guardia

Lieutenant Ramsey's War: From Horse Soldier to Guerrilla Commander (Memories of War) by Edwin Price Ramsey and Stephen J. Rivele

This book always has a place on my bookshelf and has moved with me at least 12 times.

Mustang: A Combat Marine Hardcover – January 1, 1987
by Gerald P. Averill (Author)

Patton's Last Gamble: The Disastrous Raid on POW Camp Hammelburg in World War II Kindle Edition
by Duane Schultz

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
With the Old Breed, by Eugene Sledge.

This is one of the most powerful books I've ever read.

Lots of other good suggestions. I didn't see it mentioned, so I would add: D-Day Through German Eyes by Holger Eckhertz.

Edit: Sorry, I missed that ZSMICHAEL mentioned it just before me.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I just finished “Race of Aces“ by Bruning. It is about the pilots in the Pacific vying to be the leading American ace. It had a lot about the pilots, and bigger picture stuff.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tartan427
posted Hide Post
Spearhead by Adam Makos is pretty good. It involves tank warfare at the end of WW2.

Posts: 655 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pa | Registered: January 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Look into the books and collection of columns written by Ernie Pyle. He was writer before the war who became a columnist for Stars and Stripes. He didn't survive the war, being killed in the closing phases of the Okinawa campaign.

Also check out "Up Front" and "The Brass Ring" by Bill Mauldin. Mauldin was the cartoonist who drew Willie and Joe for Stars and Stripes, and who saw a bunch of the Italian campaign.

Tregaskis' "Guadalcanal Diary" as mentioned earlier is excellent. I was sad when I finished it because it was so good, and he left Guadalcanal before the campaign was over.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I second up front by Bill maudlin. The United States Navy in ww2 and also the United States marine corps in ww2 by S.E. Smith. How about a question of honor by Lynne Olson and Stanley cloud. A book about polish pilots in ww2

Posts: 5 | Registered: April 03, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
SPEARHEAD, by Adam Makos.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I really liked the “Liberation Trilogy” books by Rick Atkinson. The books aren’t exclusively from the perspective of individual soldiers like most of the other books mentioned thus far, but he weaves in first person accounts, usually a few specific ones that continue through the entire book. From a broader perspective he also discusses things that are seldom, if ever, mentioned in most overall histories, from VD and desertion rates to the effects of massive thefts and diversions of materiel at the ports where it was unloaded, often by local hires. He is also very blunt in discussing the incompetence and failures of the top leadership on both sides, something else that many historians have tended to gloss over.

I really like his approach.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Atkinson's trilogy is the best source for a complete overview of American involvement in the MTO/ETO currently available. As far as I'm concerned, it's required reading for any WW2 history buff, or American military history buff.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post