SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Let There Be Drums
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let There Be Drums Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
A really cool compilation of most of the well known drummers—at least from the U.S. and U.K., to the tune of Sandy Nelson’s “Let There Be Drums.” A glaring oversite (IMO) is Chad Smith, Chris Layton probably should be in there too. You’ll undoubtedly pick up on somebody you think should be in there.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Ron Bushy

Posts: 4403 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Cool.

Clyde Stubblefield, Danny Carey, Carter Beauford, and Stanton Moore are my faves.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Did I miss Jim Gordon? He was the drummer in the blues rock supergroup Derek and the Dominos, Little Richard and Delaney & Bonnie. Gordon played drums on George Harrison's 1970 triple album All Things Must Pass. And was the drummer on the Incredible Bongo Band's Bongo Rock album, released in 1972. His drum break in Apache is a classic! Bought that album when it was first released. Smile

As an aside King Errisson plays the bongos here.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/WY-Z6wm6TMQ

Nelson's Birth of the Beat was one along with Let Their Be Drums that I played over and over and over in my teens. Have a number of his LPs on vinyl which still see play too. Smile

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/2_FZtZ6C1Lo

Another favorite was teen Beat

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/1lbxeJRtfGw

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Bill Buford and Barrie Barlow

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38600 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I'm glad this is a list of "well known" drummers and not a purported "best" list. Smile

Ed Cassidy (Spirit) and Richie Hayward (Little Feat) are sadly no longer with us. I'd probably put them on a Best list, even though they weren't well known!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Did I miss Jim Gordon?

I guess you did, he’s in there.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
I'm glad this is a list of "well known" drummers and not a purported "best" list. Smile

Ed Cassidy (Spirit) and Richie Hayward (Little Feat) are sadly no longer with us. I'd probably put them on a Best list, even though they weren't well known!

Richie Hayward is one of my favorite drummers of all time. Never really gets mentioned.

No Bernard Purdie or Jeff Porcaro on there, either. Possibly THE two greatest session drummers of all time (Gadd and Steve Jordan are in the conversation, as well.) These guys are more "drummer's drummers" than rock gods.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YellowJacket,

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Bill Buford for sure deserves to be there, the best drummer Yes ever had.

One guy without a doubt is Simon Phillips, perhaps one of the best rock/jazz drummers ever. Every drummer I have known worshiped the guy, the best feet in the rock world, after John Bonham. He played on the legendary 801 Live album and for nearly everyone in the business, including The Who (IMO 2nd to Moon, the best drummer to play for the band). He has been Toto's drummer for awhile. Word was that Lukather only wanted Phillips to replace Jeff Porcaro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWj95ug8CqA

Another guy, perhaps my current favorite is Josh Freese, a founding member of The Vandals, but has played with Nine Inch Nails, Guns N Roses, Weezer, Springsteen, Sting, and is the go-to drummer for DEVO and Paul Westerberg/The Replacements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0Rdn1n8yW4

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
man, I love Simon Phillips drumming. Of course, mostly because I loved Jeff Porcaro's drumming. So many monster drummers out there that nobody has ever heard of.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the WHO video...I hadn’t seen that before. Quite an amazing ensemble of musicians in the clip.

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
a few drummers come to mind

Buddy Rich
Deen Castronovo
Nick Mason
Graham Broad
Scott Crago

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

Met Buddy Rich in 1973. He came to our school and did a workshop with our stage and orchestra band.

BR was "technically" correct and had speed.

But I think, Gene Krupa had "soul", and his music was great, but I like swing, so that may be part of my bias.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post

Wink

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Met Buddy Rich in 1973. He came to our school and did a workshop with our stage and orchestra band.

BR was "technically" correct and had speed.

But I think, Gene Krupa had "soul", and his music was great, but I like swing, so that may be part of my bias.

None of them would be there if it weren't for Chick Webb.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
one of my musician friends from school was in the Buddy Rich band for a few years

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Josh Freese is definitely super talented.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That Krupa, Rich, video is just nuts

Posts: 904 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post