SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What is the deal with Dune?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the deal with Dune? Login/Join 
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted
I have tried to start the book, but I dont make it far. Just today someone was trying to get me to read it. But when I hear "there is this spice and it is only found on one planet..." it just doesn't do anything for me.

Is it a good book? Is it worth giving it another go?

For a touch of perspective, I started hyperion and I hated it. Only made it about half way. I didn't care about any of the pilgrims.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I tried reading Hyperion and hated it, as well.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I tried reading Hyperion and hated it, as well.

I did read the never ending war, and I really really liked it. But Hyperion, man that was a beat down.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Yes Dune is worth it. It starts somewhat slowly but it will hook you. It is one of my all time favorite books and has been reread many times. I started Hyperion and bailed before I was even half way into it.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have tried twice with dune. My therory is that it sucks.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Don’t think spice. Think drug that allows the elites to do things others can’t do.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Or think oil. And yes, it is a great book and worth reading onwards. Two things that will help you is that only 3/4 - 2/3 of the book is actual story. The rest is a dictionary and other "non-fictional" references to place the universe that you don't need to read. The other is that the story picks up after the main royal dinner and when House Atredies is under full assault (thou I won't say by whom even though it's over 40 years old).

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Probably my favorite novel. I read it once a year or so. Its a coming of age hero story wrapped in messianic myth, corporate greed of resources, ecology, and touches on the dangers of faith leading to fanaticism and a man becoming a symbol and losing control of his own rebellion. It’s not for everybody. The pace is slow at first and Herbert creates a hugely detailed universe without spoon feeding it to the reader. You can read the dictionary and appendices to fill in the gaps, or you can just go with it and let your imagination do the work based on context. I really love this book.

Nothing I just said however applies to the rest of the series which range from “meh” (Children of Dune) to “bloody awful” (any of the books written after Frank Herbert died).

Brief spoiler free synopsis:
The Spice isn’t a seasoning. It’s a powerful concious altering drug. It greatly extends life, allows some people limited prescience, and is absolutely addictive and withdrawal is fatal. Humanity is ruled by an emperor who is kept somewhat in check by feudal houses and more so by the economic structure and the spacing guild. The sole source of the spice, which is vital for space travel, is passed from one mortal enemy to another by imperial decree for reasons that become clear later on. Chaos ensues.

Do not try to watch the movie to figure out the book. It’s beyond awful.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it, but I suspect it's best enjoyed under the influence of LSD :-) (or is that the movie version?). It's not an easy read.

COPAUP synopisis and analysis of it's themes is excellent.

IMHO Frank Herbert's writing style is very non-linear and sometimes hard to follow. He jumps between decades, characters locations, etc. At the drop of a hat. The Tolkein-esq glossary at the back of the book is helpful.

When his son took over the series, the books House Atriedes (SP) and House Harkonnnen (SP) were much easier to read and understand.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
Don’t think spice. Think drug that allows the elites to do things others can’t do.

Yep. Sort of like Limitless meets Flash Gordon without the music.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Dune is one of my all time enjoyable Sci-Fi reads. I've reread it at least 4 times over the years. Everything else in the series after the original Dune could not hold my interest. I could not get into Hyperion at all. I tried. Just couldn't do it.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed Dune quite a lot. It is better written than most sci-fi (a lot of which has interesting ideas but terrible writing). The characters seem like real people, which is something else a lot of sci-fi misses.

I think it has a good story, with universal themes that are not dependent on this being a space story.

But all writing is pretty personal. If you don't like it, you don't like it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
i've tried to read it at least a couple times. once i put a book down a second time it's usually for the count.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I did it with Audiobook...

It was an enjoyable experience.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3458 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I know I read Dune. I read all the scifi books then. But it was so long ago, I forget what it was about. Wasn't it part of a trilogy?

Don't answer, I'll go google it.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the books: Thought they were very imaginative and well written.

The 1984 movie however made no sense and sucked big time. My GF kept elbowing me in the ribs and giving me WTF looks. I kept shrugging my shoulders and returning I Dunno looks.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The characters in Dune are very memorable. One finds all the human sins and virtues, magnified due to the cosmic scale.
I should probably put in on the queue for re-reading.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
The Lynch movie did not do the book justice, IMHO. They did NOTHING (other than provide a handout with a word/definition list on it....at least at the theater I went to) to provide any sort of context to viewers who'd never read the book. And then they changed things from the book ("weirding modules" instead of the "weirding way" is one that still chafes me).

There is a more recent mini-series version of Dune that does a much better job of introducing the viewer to the "world" of Dune, and it follows the book more closely.

As for the book itself, I liked it. Herbert is the Tolkien of sci-fi. A very complete imagining of humanity's future.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
I have tried twice with dune. My therory is that it sucks.

I took me 3 tries to finish Dune. I felt that I had to, no regrets, but not for everyone (and barely for me)...

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Finishing Dune is a right of passage for anyone claiming to be a Sci-Fi buff of any kind. I can think of no other Sci-Fi series that has this particular flavor to it. Channel your inner Frank Herbert and read through it.

I've read all the books from Dune to Chapter House, and find they get more and more strange the farther you go.

The movie (Kyle MacLachlan, not William Hurt) does a mediocre job of telling the tale. I'd recommend reading the book before viewing the movie.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post