SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What is the deal with Dune?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the deal with Dune? Login/Join 
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Its a good book if you are into that type of writing. If you aren’t then it will be a brutal read.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3830 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
It's hard to get accurate numbers, but by some estimates, Dune has sold more copies than any other science fiction novel in history.

I think it's a great book. My aunt gave me a copy for Christmas one year when I was a kid, and I've been hooked on reading sci fi/fantasy ever since.

I'm with you on Hyperion, though. Couldn't stand it.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
I loved both Dune and Hyperion. It toke me a while to get into Hyperion though. I almost stopped it a couple of times.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
The underlying theme is to distrust anyone in positions of power. Any king, any government, any religious leader. That's the true salvation of mankind.

Posts: 45322 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
I have tried twice with dune. My therory is that it sucks.
Who was it that said they believe no one has ever finished Don Quixote? I can't recall.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107180 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The first book is great. I couldn't make it too far into the third. But the first book? A must read.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first book is a classic and worth reading.

Posts: 2356 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got through about 60+ pages in high school before I gave up. Tried it again recently (decades later) and really enjoyed it. Went on to read the other Dune books, too (at least some of them). It's worth the effort.

Posts: 697 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wasn't it part of a trilogy?

It's up to something like fifteen volumes now

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Dune is one of the ultimate classics in Sci/Fi. Some of the later novels are not as interesting but Dune is excellent. I’d place it alongside Asimov’s Foundation trilogy as must reads.

Posts: 12427 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Excellent series and I'm a fan (see signature). It starts to get a bit tough at God Emperor, but it needs to be read to get towards the end of the story.

The sequels/prequels done by his son and the other guy were amazing.

I also liked Hyperion and the Night's Dawn series.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17228 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
I was introduced to the Dune trilogy in college and have been a fan ever since...granted, I only have 5 of the books.

What sets Dune above most SciFi is the scope of development it encompasses...both characters and cultures. What sets it apart is that the Hero isn't there to "save" the Fremen

I would certainly put it up there with the Foundation trilogy and the Hobbit series...with the modern equivalent being the books that the Game of Thrones are based on

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14169 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
As above, Dune may be tough at the start but it is a classic. The first three are very good but I thought that the third had a tired feel to it.

There is also the obscure but excellent Dune game from the out of business Avalon Hill, buy it if you can.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
I enjoyed the books: Thought they were very imaginative and well written.

The 1984 movie however made no sense and sucked big time. My GF kept elbowing me in the ribs and giving me WTF looks. I kept shrugging my shoulders and returning I Dunno looks.

as a late teen, who had read the book at least 2x's by then, it was freaking awesome to see on the big screen, and to hear how some of the stuff is pronounced,

then again, the friend I was with was as big as fan as I was, and we were drinking wine,

maybe 2 bottles, as we watched the movie ,,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10403 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
I was introduced to the Dune trilogy in college and have been a fan ever since...granted, I only have 5 of the books.

What sets Dune above most SciFi is the scope of development it encompasses...both characters and cultures. What sets it apart is that the Hero isn't there to "save" the Fremen

I would certainly put it up there with the Foundation trilogy and the Hobbit series...with the modern equivalent being the books that the Game of Thrones are based on

all 3 trilogies are fantastic,

would love to see Foundation done as a movie,

Posts: 10403 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
my first reading of the book was when I was in high school,

In English class one day, we had a reading time for the required book of the semester/week, whatever,

the scarlet letter, which is a decent book, but not what interested me at the time,

So I had my copy of the Scarlet Letter open, and the copy of Dune inside that ,

my English teacher cleared her throat, looked directly at me, and said 'Richard, Dune IS NOT the Scarlet Letter',

I , being a smart ass teen, said, 'Yes Ma'am, but Dune is much better'

she actually agreed in class, but strongly suggested I put it down and read the required book,

(so I did, she was a good teacher)

Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
Dune, like GoT, also had many quotes that made it into popular lexicon...at least among SciFi fans

"Fear is the Mindkiller" is likely the most commonly recognized, but there is also:

"He who can destroy a thing, controls a thing"
"He who controls the Spice, controls the universe"
"The Spice must flow"
"The slow blade penetrates the shield"

My favorites are from the Bene Gesserit:
"We tend to become like the worst in those we oppose"
"What do you despise? By this are you truly known"
"When religion and politics ride in the same cart, the whirlwind follows"

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14169 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Wow. I will definitely persevere. I'll load it on the kindle. Maybe it was the paperback I have. I pretty much just read on my kindle paperwhite now days (which is on sale too I believe).

I read the foundation series 15 years ago, all of it and I even liked how he tried to connect the series together (which I understand is controversial amongst the true followers Smile

I have been reading more and more classic sci fi and dune is on every single list. But so is hyperion.
I also loved the hobbit and the rings. I was reading game of thrones until the red wedding. Then I was done.
So with great anticipation I will load up Dune and embark on a new to me adventure Smile

Thanks guys, I always value your advice and comradeship.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3562 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I like the David Lynch version of the film.

There. I said it.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17228 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Quick question on the film. My brother in law told me that the director released a new cut of the film with a lot of things he filmed but couldn't use in the theatrical version.
But I have never been able to find.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3562 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post