SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Expanse returns on SyFy April 11th !
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Expanse returns on SyFy April 11th ! Login/Join 
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
The authors have said they know where they want to go with the next books but they aren't finished yet so a season after next may depend on what they write this year.........

A show getting ahead of the books and the lure of the show money outpacing the passion for the book-writing. Great. Where have I heard that before?

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
quote:
The authors have said they know where they want to go with the next books but they aren't finished yet so a season after next may depend on what they write this year.........

A show getting ahead of the books and the lure of the show money outpacing the passion for the book-writing. Great. Where have I heard that before?

You shut your mouth! Don't wish that fate on this show. Big Grin

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
I had to rewatch Drummer's battle three times to figure out what was going on. LOL

it was very quick,,

I'm planning on rewatching the last episode shortly just for that reason

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Having read the books, and eager for the last one this year, if the show only gets one more season they have their work cut out for them.
I see a couple ways it could work. Either make every three or four episodes cover a book's worth of story, or make a lot of episodes.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The story hardly moved in The Expanse Season 5. Nothing really happened of significance outside the first and last episodes.

As soon as Naomi appeared on screen, the show turned to boredom.

Posts: 15 | Registered: January 10, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigJimSlade:
As soon as Naomi appeared on screen, the show turned to boredom.

She's not my favorite, that's for sure. I tend to dislike characters that do whatever is in their own best interest, as she demonstrated time and again in the first couple of seasons.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Is this season done now? No more episodes until next season? This season was largely boring for me. Nothing interesting. A few tricks (the mutants or enhanced people or whatever they're called). I'm assuming that's a pretext for future episodes? But the storyline was boring. Blah blah oppressed blah blah fight each other.

I thought they were going to explore the other side. And try to figure out who made the molecule and the huge machines. Not any mention of the new stuff - sci fi story line.

Just more of the same boring dog fights but in space.

I hate the Naomi character. I fast forwarded through all her scenes.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Is this season done now? No more episodes until next season? This season was largely boring for me. Nothing interesting. A few tricks (the mutants or enhanced people or whatever they're called). I'm assuming that's a pretext for future episodes? But the storyline was boring. Blah blah oppressed blah blah fight each other.

I thought they were going to explore the other side. And try to figure out who made the molecule and the huge machines. Not any mention of the new stuff - sci fi story line.

Yeah, Season 5 is over now, but not sure who you're referring to as “mutants or enhanced people”.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
quote:

Yeah, Season 5 is over now, but not sure who you're referring to as “mutants or enhanced people”.

Most likely he's referring to Clarissa Mao and her enhancements.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
quote:

Most likely he's referring to Clarissa Mao and her enhancements.

or the dude that thought he was the Hulk and got flipped down the shaft

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
Nine episodes makes a "season" these days.

Everyday the entertainment industry gets just a little more pathetic.

I miss actual seasons.

Posts: 1603 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Actually, there were ten episodes, but I am with you that shortened seasons aren't enjoyable. You can blame Star Trek: The Next Generation for it, as that was the show that started throwing in mid-season breaks.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
I found season 5 underwhelming to say the least. The story barely moved, it must have been torture for the writers to stretch all that across 10 episodes.

"Hey, instead of 20 minutes with Naomi alone in the junker frigate, why not do 25 minutes of Naomi alone in the junker frigate? Eh? Eh??"

They need to rally with season 6 or this is at risk of falling off my list, sad to say.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by asonie:
They need to rally with season 6 or this is at risk of falling off my list, sad to say.

This season was about the gang being separated and realizing that they need to get the band back together. I really didn't like it as a book (imagine 50 pages of Naomi alone on the transport instead of 25 minutes), but I loved it as show.

Season 6 is about taking the war to Marco, which is what I watch space opera for and should be good. It's the difference between Book 6 and Book 7 that might be jarring, but I'm wondering if how they ended season 5 that the show writers might smooth out that transition. We'll see but I'm along for the ride.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I'm in the middle of season 3. Warning spoilers ahead if you just started this show don't read any more. Quite the jump between episode 6 and 7. I was wondering if I missed a couple. So, let me get this straight. Mars found the molecule on Phoebe, and was researching on Ganymede. Mars destroyed Pheobe. Ganymede was hit so research was taken to Io. And once again the guy who knew the most was shot in the head. So, how did the proto pods on Io get launched from the UNN flagship? And, did the thing that lifted up from Venus become the ring near Neptune?

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Protogen found the molecule on Phoebe. However some Martian researchers were part of the guys checking it out, and used as guinea pigs by Protogen. Seeing what can be done with the protomolecule, Protogen, with help from some UNN conspirators, starts trying to develop 'super-soldier' hybrids. Most of this research is being done on a station on Io. That's where the hybrid dropped on Ganymede comes from, which leads to a shooting war between Mars and Earth.

The UNN Admiral, Nguyen, is one of these conspirators. He gets Jules-Pierre Mao (dad to Julie and Clarissa) to give him launch codes to pods containing protomolecule so he can infect Mars. He launches them (before some of his own fleet smokes him and his flagship for treason) but the pods are first made visible by the Roci crew, then destroyed by Fred Ward with his "borrowed" missiles.

And yes, Eros smashes into Venus, the protomolecule (and Joe Miller and Julie Mao) uses the resources there to construct the doohickey that will launch and eventually become the ring.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
I had to rewatch Drummer's battle three times to figure out what was going on. LOL

it was very quick,,

This should help out some.....

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^
Held together by sheer middle-finger energy Cool Big Grin

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:

it was very quick,,

This should help out some.....

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/h1AEHK8oQeA" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

thanks for posting!!

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by asonie:
I found season 5 underwhelming to say the least. The story barely moved, it must have been torture for the writers to stretch all that across 10 episodes.

"Hey, instead of 20 minutes with Naomi alone in the junker frigate, why not do 25 minutes of Naomi alone in the junker frigate? Eh? Eh??"

I watched that episode last night. Dear GAWD it sucked. Whiney boo-hoo piss-and-moan. Y'all are supposed to be badasses, not soyboys!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post