SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Expanse returns on SyFy April 11th !
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Expanse returns on SyFy April 11th ! Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Well, that was quick. Frown

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
The finale was a very exciting episode, to be sure. I definitely will rewatch it.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I had to rewatch Drummer's battle three times to figure out what was going on. LOL

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Agreed, it must be re-watched to glean everything that happened.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Actually, I do have a question regarding the battle. The torpedo Drummer fired at her girlfriend's ship never armed before hitting the engine? Seems that way, since it didn't destroy the ship.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I think their torpedoes have "Dial-a-yield". LOL

posted Hide Post
Alex, WTF?!! I know he wasn’t going to be on next season, but that was a cheap way to go out.

The Roci vs. Free Navy went pretty much as expected. Hopefully Drummer will get back to normal next season. In previous seasons, she was pretty much a badass. This season she was mostly all weepy about her girlfriend.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Alex, WTF?!! I know he wasn’t going to be on next season, but that was a cheap way to go out.

I think it was “Crap, story is already written, most of the filming is done, what now?”

I think Dominique Tipper showed some acting chops in all her solo scenes.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Eek
Fantastic finale.
Bummer of way to write off Alex, but I get it, I suppose.
Huge cliffhanger, now the long wait. May look into getting the books.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
One science question (Hound Dog, feel free to chime in).....

Shouldn't a rail gun have a much longer range than a torpedo???

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
One science question (Hound Dog, feel free to chime in).....

Shouldn't a rail gun have a much longer range than a torpedo???

I thought that was odd, too.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess it’s because unlike torpedos, the railgun projectiles course cannot be altered making a hit on moving targets difficult at long range

Posts: 739 | Location: Germany | Registered: August 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I thought about that, but a railgun projectile is supposedly moving at extremely high speed, governed by mass of the projectile and how much 'juice' you run down the rails. You'd think starships would have megajoules worth to run a projectile up to ridiculous speeds (I think current ones are around 7K fps?).

Which also makes me wonder.....don't all those PGM rounds that missed present a danger to other ships? I mean they just keep on going, right? LOL

posted Hide Post
quote:
Hopefully Drummer will get back to normal next season. In previous seasons, she was pretty much a badass. This season she was mostly all weepy about her girlfriend.

Drummer has actually turned into my favorite character, Amos I really like but, Drummer has really grown on me. As for her roll in s.5, they really peeled the onion back on the Belter polyamorous relationships; Holden is the product of multiple parents but, they never really delve into that. With Drummer and her crew, they showed more of their emotional connection (particularly with Oksana), trying to show the pangs and anxiety of loyalty and going light on the physical/carnal visual that other shows have blatantly done to show they're 'woke' to the alphabet-people

Dominque Tepper deserves an acting award for s.5; the second half of the season, all her scenes were alone and she had to dig into her acting talent to show the emotional and then the physical toll she was going through. The scene were the camera simply focused on her face, while Bobby rescued her was awesome, very good sound work as well.

The battle scenes were really well done, I was hoping for a bit more firepower but, I get it. Showing the MCRN fleet coming from the other side of the ring-gate definitely threw a wrench into the viewing process, 'Wait!....WTF?!?!'.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I finally watched the final episode last night. It was Excellent! Well done in several ways. Gave plenty of foreshadowing of what's getting ready to come up in future seasons etc.

I wonder if they will do an episode from the Novella "Strange Dogs" in the series?

Wish we didn't have to wait for the next season!

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
I finally watched the final episode last night. It was Excellent! Well done in several ways. Gave plenty of foreshadowing of what's getting ready to come up in the last season ...

Fixed it for you. Next season will be the last.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Next season will be the last.

Perhaps not. Lots of scuttlebutt that someone else might pick up the series just as Amazon picked it up from SyFy. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Next season will be the last.

Perhaps not. Lots of scuttlebutt that someone else might pick up the series just as Amazon picked it up from SyFy. Big Grin

I’ve heard one of the reasons the show is wrapping up with Season 6 is that in the books a thirty year time jump occurs after book six, and it’s not practical to age everyone by 30 years for seasons after 6. Apparently they can’t just ignore the time jump because it’s critical to the plot of the later books.

At least that’s what I’ve heard, since I haven’t read the books.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’ve heard one of the reasons the show is wrapping up with Season 6 is that in the books a thirty year time jump occurs after book six, and it’s not practical to age everyone by 30 years for seasons after 6. Apparently they can’t just ignore the time jump because it’s critical to the plot of the later books.

At least that’s what I’ve heard, since I haven’t read the books.

Not really. They forshadowed the next huge plot line. A 30yr jump isn't really totally necessary, they teased the new plot line.

I think they could wrap up whats been written so far in a well done next season.

The authors have said they know where they want to go with the next books but they aren't finished yet so a season after next may depend on what they write this year.........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is that big time gap in the books.... but no one says they couldn’t write for the show the things in that gap.

Or, get sideways, and make a new character story arc. The worldbuilding is to the point that many stories could be told.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post