SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Expanse returns on SyFy April 11th !
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Expanse returns on SyFy April 11th ! Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I'm half way through season 4. This show is interesting but doesn't move all that much. Perhaps the simplicity is what makes it interesting. Season 1 was about Eros. 2 was about Ganymede. 3 was about the ring. 4 seems to be about Ilus. What disappoints me the most is the writing for the character Avasarala. Before was a capable politician who took risks is now relegated to an impatient potty mouth.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
She returns to form in Season 5. Unfortunately, you're also stuck watching Naomi being emo for most of the season.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
In season 3 when the hybrid got on board the Rossi at the end of that episode a nice bit of protomolecule was left on board. Does that surface at some point or was that forgotten about?

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by asonie:
I found season 5 underwhelming to say the least. The story barely moved, it must have been torture for the writers to stretch all that across 10 episodes.

"Hey, instead of 20 minutes with Naomi alone in the junker frigate, why not do 25 minutes of Naomi alone in the junker frigate? Eh? Eh??"

They need to rally with season 6 or this is at risk of falling off my list, sad to say.

I watched that episode last night. Dear GAWD it sucked. Whiney boo-hoo piss-and-moan. Y'all are supposed to be badasses, not soyboys!

Divisive episodes, like divisive movies are wonderful. They show you who your tastes fall in line with. I liked that episode and personally find the boom=boom--flash-flash ooh something shiny space battle scenes uninteresting and unimportant, to the point that I don't really even pay attention to them when they're on. I go about my business on the other screen and then start watching again when they're over.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
In season 3 when the hybrid got on board the Rossi at the end of that episode a nice bit of protomolecule was left on board. Does that surface at some point or was that forgotten about?

Yes. It comes up in season 4

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I just finished the (available) books. Pretty good series. Looks like he’s writing one more to wrap everything up.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by asonie:
I found season 5 underwhelming to say the least. The story barely moved, it must have been torture for the writers to stretch all that across 10 episodes.

"Hey, instead of 20 minutes with Naomi alone in the junker frigate, why not do 25 minutes of Naomi alone in the junker frigate? Eh? Eh??"

They need to rally with season 6 or this is at risk of falling off my list, sad to say.

I watched that episode last night. Dear GAWD it sucked. Whiney boo-hoo piss-and-moan. Y'all are supposed to be badasses, not soyboys!

Divisive episodes, like divisive movies are wonderful. They show you who your tastes fall in line with. I liked that episode and personally find the boom=boom--flash-flash ooh something shiny space battle scenes uninteresting and unimportant, to the point that I don't really even pay attention to them when they're on. I go about my business on the other screen and then start watching again when they're over.

The books dragged it out even more. While I hit FF when she was on the ship, I thought the show condensed it well.

I watched season 1 before I read the book(s). Now that I know what's going to happen, I enjoy the show less, but I think they've done a really good job of keeping the story line, while changing the timing for the better. I thought the Ilus story line would be a full season & would suck.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I watched the final episode of Season 5 last night.

I was really looking forward to Season 5, and what I got was "Meh." If there's a Season 6, I hope they get back on track.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:

I was really looking forward to Season 5, and what I got was "Meh." If there's a Season 6, I hope they get back on track.

With how season 5 ended, they've got a whole new can case of worms to dig into.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pasound
posted Hide Post
I got the books on my Kindle to read the "real" story now that Season 5 is finished. I like that the show is very accurate to the story (some things have been simplified, others written to fill out detail the authors thought the reader would see, deep into the story). Avasarala is a bigger character in the show than the books, but I see why. She is pivotal, and character development on tv is needed to see why. In a book, she can be background, and figured out over time. I've been a scifi fan all my life, and both the show and the books are excellent.

Old, stubborn, heavily armed.

Posts: 27 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: January 30, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I'm done with season 5. In the version I watched at the very end Cas Anvar's character is killed off. Has a stroke because of to many high G burns. Was that a rewrite in light of his personal situation. Or did his alleged problems happen before shooting for season 5 came to a close. What happened to the MCRN ship going through the ring at the end?
Are all rings now shut down? It took a bit but I was hooked after season 1 concluded.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

We liked season 5 well enough. There will be a season 6. We won't see it, though. Our Prime subscription ends in May.

quote:
I'm done with season 5. In the version I watched at the very end Cas Anvar's character is killed off. Has a stroke because of to many high G burns. Was that a rewrite in light of his personal situation. Or did his alleged problems happen before shooting for season 5 came to a close.

For those who were wondering what goose5 is talking about: Why Alex Won't Be In Expanse Season 6: Cas Anvar Controversy Explained

TL;DR: Accusations, allegedly credible, of sexual misconduct, incl. assault.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm done with season 5. In the version I watched at the very end Cas Anvar's character is killed off. Has a stroke because of to many high G burns. Was that a rewrite in light of his personal situation. Or did his alleged problems happen before shooting for season 5 came to a close. What happened to the MCRN ship going through the ring at the end?
Are all rings now shut down? It took a bit but I was hooked after season 1 concluded.

It was a rewrite due to the aforementioned allegations. The pics shown at the very own were a large foreshadowing of things to come. There is a LOT more to get through if they decide to keep going.........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:

I was really looking forward to Season 5, and what I got was "Meh."

Say what?! Not one but TWO of the best (if not THE best), most realistic space combat scenes in the history of science fiction in any video format and "Meh" is your response?

I guess I'm just a Kool-aid drinking fanboy.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:What happened to the MCRN ship going through the ring at the end?
Are all rings now shut down?

That was the first TV implementation of an event that was occasionally alluded to in the books, and then finally experienced by the reader in the depiction of the scene in the show. So, in the show, it is a little jarring because there was no previous mention of ships vanishing in ring transit. But, no the rings are not shut down.

Beyond that, not gonna say. As River Song would so sweetly say... “Spoilers!”

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Late arrival here to what I think is, chronologically, the most recent of threads on “The Expanse” (at least with regard to replies, anyway). I’m the only one in my household who likes this series, so I’ve been watching here and there for a few weeks and am about halfway through Season 4.

I like it - so much so that I sprung for this automotive emblem as a bit of a low-key tribute to the show. Just waiting on a fellow fan to see it and holler, “Beltalowda” or something similar LOL...

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Razz
Saw this thread pop up & thought there was news for the new season.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Razz
Saw this thread pop up & thought there was news for the new season.

Same here. I'm in the middle of book 6, too.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post