SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    World of Warships
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

World of Warships Login/Join 
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
Is there anything my boys and I should do in order to progress "smartly"? I mean, other than paying attention to what the ships are designed to do, and getting good, so to speak.

There's a process. First thing is probably to get good at putting ordnance on target. If you're not hitting stuff with your shells/torps, the game is less enjoyable. There is a good training mode where you can set up bots (AI controlled opponents) to practice your gunnery on either stationary or moving ships.

A finer point is knowing where to aim at. That varies with your ship and what you're targeting and trying to do. If you have tiny guns and are targeting a big ship, you may not be able to get through the big ship's armor to get big damage but rather than do nothing against the tough bits target the top and try to either pen it or start fires on it.

It gets deeper and deeper. You'll find you can look at a map and a roster and make informed guesses as to where the enemy may head. And you may find your own team doing unusual (and iffy) dispersions and may find yourself needing to amend your plans accordingly. (i.e. even if you'd like to go to location XYZ, if none of your team is heading that direction, you really don't want to go there either and try to hold off half the red team on your lonesome. Wink )

There are a host of mods that make the UI easier to manage and more informative. I use Aslain WoWS modpack
as a source and use a dozen or so from there. (This is an ongoing item: each time the game issues a patch, mods will need to be updated, and Aslain issues updates from time to time.)

If you're looking for online guides, Little White Mouse's stuff is usually spot on.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Thanks! The mods sound a bit like Warcraft where you just have to keep them updated. (DBM anyone? Ha.)

Sounds like being patient and learning the ropes up the tech tree is the smart way to go. I spent a longer random match yesterday in a tier 2 or 3 cruiser switching between AP and HE depending on what I was shooting at. Anywho me and a destroyer had slipped around an island and were dodging in and out of cover while we capped the farthest cap zone and took out destroyers and cruisers trying to come back and take it.

It was pretty awesome.

I've been watching a ton of Jingles back catalogue so I've been learning how to not be a horrible player or a potato. That doesn't mean I haven't accidentally run into a teammate once in a while.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried mods at all. But then 90% of my ships are "historical".

For good teamplay, I reckon Discord or whatever is almost essential.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bonfire
posted Hide Post
I use this Aslain's WOWS mod. If are playing Co-Op get used to how the AI will dodge torpedoes like a champ. You have to learn how to adjust and not rely on the aiming recommendations. In Random the game is much more fun with friends. Random for me has been frustrating unless I am in a division.

I enjoy tier the Russian Tier 3 DD because you can poop out 11 torps in a short amount of time. I was in a division with three of friends all in the same ship and we could launch 33 torps in one volley and then under 20 seconds a another volley. Nothing like seeing 66 torps running towards the enemy and yes the AI will dodge almost all of them. In random this is fun but die quickly since the range of the torps is only 4km. We just jump in another ship and keep playing. I really enjoy the tier 8 groups. All ships are fun to play at this tier. I did spend money and the Pommern and Georgia and they are both fun ships. I also have a DD that can poop torps at 16km so I can get those pesky battleships who like to camp.

There is a reviewer called LittleWhiteMouse and she does a great job on reviewing the ships.

https://aslain.com/index.php?/...s-%E2%98%85-modpack/

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 464 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
So I bought a level 5 destroyer today with coal and a coupon. I still have no idea how all these resources work..

Anywho. My son hopped in a level 5 German battleship he had researched and we made a division and somehow roflstomped the computers after 75% of our team got blown up.

It was actually really fun!

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
If you look on the left side of your 'port' screen, you should see something like "Combat Missions". Open that, you'll see a variety of types of missions. Some are for special events (Like the Lunar New Year one running now) or just daily stuff. Completing those missions will reward you with stuff...signals, resources, etc.

Resources (coal, steel, etc.) can be used for various things. Purchasing some ships, as you noted.

I started that SIGFF clan and noticed now I earn oil(?) that can be used to expand facilities that gain clan members benefits like extra Commander XP, etc.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I can’t make sense of this Italian Battleships feature. Is it just a temp currency that you need to accrue? Weird.