SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    New Spenser Series
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Spenser Series Login/Join 
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
We're about to sit down and try it out. I will not be entering it thinking this will be a Spenser movie. Bob Urich is Spenser.

Marky Mark is okay, but he's not remotely capable of Spenser. Spenser is about the dichotomies of the man; e.g., between sophistication and red-blooded American meat eating. The character is renaissance man and Urich nailed it down in my mind.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I never watched the original SFH, or read the books. But I'm inclined to after watching the movie. I liked it.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I never saw the original series either, but based on some other posts in this thread I'm guessing that there's only a passing resemblance between it and this movie. That said, I watched it over the weekend and thought it was pretty decent on its own. I also had no idea that the original was written by the same guy who wrote Jesse Stone, which is one of my all time favorite series of movies.

Posts: 7266 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Watched it last night and enjoyed it. Nobody can whine and bitch like Alan Arkin.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:
Watched it last night and enjoyed it. Nobody can whine and bitch like Alan Arkin.

Amen. I can watch anything Arkin is in. Saw him with my Mom in "The Russians Are Coming, the Russians Are Coming" back in the 60s and have enjoyed his work ever since...

drendean

Posts: 48 | Location: Bagdad, KY | Registered: January 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I never watched Spenser For Hire, but have read all of Parker's books (and the Ace Atkins books that follow). If you watch the movie with the expectation it will be anything like Parker's Spenser, you will be sorely disappointed. Hawk is a pussy, and poor Pearl is just not Pearl. Thumbs down for it as a "Spenser" movie.

If you can watch it without any expectation of meeting Spenser, it is sort of a mediocre+ action movie.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Should have been titled, "Two ex cons clear an officers name and take down a bunch of dirty cops." Just something to watch while we ate dinner. That's all. To put Spenser & Hawks name to this was bullshit.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought it was great. You know what it didn't have? Any SJW bullshit. There were no race issues, gender issues, environmental issues, sexual orientation issues. None. Just a couple tough guys bombing around Boston fighting bad guys, banging chicks and being the good guys. Which makes, surprise, an entertaining movie! Hopefully they have started production on the next one.

Posts: 482 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Bob Parker is rolling in his grave. No where near the books!

His early stuff was his best Widening Gyre, Godwulf Manuscript, Ceremony and Looking for Rachel Wallace to name a few.

Posts: 2774 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was ok, but not Robert Parker.
Best line and minor spoiler:
"Hawk is the name of the guy with the shotgun. Spenser does your taxes".

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
With no expectations not having read any of the books or seeing the other Spenser with Urich, I enjoyed it. New to Netflix so I'm binging a lot of shows and clicked on this title.

It had a lot of action and some good humor without having too much garbage.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I found Iliza Shlesinger really attractive in the movie. I've known who she was but never saw her in that light.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
It was OK, something to watch at midnight while I cleaned my guns.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10728 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post