SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    New Spenser Series
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Spenser Series Login/Join 
posted
OK, Netflix is doing a Spenser series with Mark Warburg. Not a bad pick for Spenser. Of course they had to mess with the origin unable to leave well enough alone. It looks OK. The only issue I would have is that the original series had it so perfect in casting and writing that Spenser fans will be hard to please.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
Watched the trailer & read the YouTube blurb. So much wrong in this trailer from the books & TV series/movies the it's impossible to watch for this fan.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Is that like Spenser for Hire with Robert Urich?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was hoping for more Jesse Stone.... Frown

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16066 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
More Jesse Stone would be nice and I'm a big Spenser fan, but this new Spenser series ain't it.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2084 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Robert Parker is rolling in his grave.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Seems more like a bad boys continuum than a SFH series..

Posts: 13804 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
I'm a big Robert B. Parker fan. Read all his books, loved the Spenser for Hire Series - have it on DVD. Love the Jesse Stone movies - have all of them on DVD.

Watched the preview trailer, that ain't right! Just wrong, wrong, wrong.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1897 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think like the Magnum TV show you just have to try and forget the original and think of this as a new show. The biggest insult is that with all the Parker books they base this on one he did not write.

I'm sure the action will be good and like the first Reacher movie, if you never read the books Cruise did a good job. Just let parker and Ulrich rest in peace while I can now bitch about Spenser and Reacher.

Up next the female transgender James Bond.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I was a huge Spencer for Hire fan. I liked both Robert Urich and Avery Brooks. I also enjoyed the BMW L7 my man Hawk drove.

I will give it a chance.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I lived in Boston for the original Spenser for Hire series, and had been in a lot of the places that they shot scenes.

That was a really good TV show.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12766 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Ughh...

I like several Wahlberg movies so this is not aimed at him per se, but Jesus H. Couldn’t they just leave well enough alone!

Mad

Posts: 3142 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The tone is all wrong, I can’t really explain it better then that. If they hadn’t tried to link this show to SFH it probably would be worth watching. However, if they are going to try and use the nostalgia for the old series then they needed to better replicate the tone and feel of the old show.

Besides, no one will ever be Hawk except Avery Brooks.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
So I'm a fan of the books. The Spenser for hire series not so much. Marky Mark? Seriously?

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrewR:

Besides, no one will ever be Hawk except Avery Brooks.

1000%

Arguably the best, most accurate (book resemblance), believable casting choice of a TV series character that I can think of.

Posts: 3142 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just watched it today. Mildly entertaining. Lobstah! Big Grin

Posts: 1361 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I'll watch.
Even though I think Marky Mark is a shitty actor he does manage to make into some good roles.

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So far I have watched 3/4 of the movie and it enjoyed it before calling it a night.

Upon waking up and re-evaluating what I watched, I am not sure I enjoyed it because of the show itself or because I am visiting family here in Florida and was bored after everyone called it a night about 830pm.

I never really watched the Original and I never read the books so I have no preconceived notions.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I have no idea what the original story is - but this looks pretty fun.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
I sat through it today. Wish I had taken a nap instead.

Posts: 1809 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post