Notify
Tools

Ad Astra Movie Login/Join 
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
*** SPOILERS ***

I watched half of it on the plane today and had to turn it off. Too much ham-fistedness for me. Homeboy is the only guy that can base jump off of the space antenna? Space debris magically hits his chute, twice? Space piracy in the world they created? Their only rocket is through the "wild" area of the moon?

So much silliness that added NOTHING to the story. Peril was just conveniently added via dialogue and made no sense. Why would they drive what amounted to 1960s technology moon rover through a space battlefield? Oops I guess?

They tried to make it seem thoughtful by the slow pace, Terrance Malik inner-monologues, and close camera for the dialogue.

I love slow burn dramas. This movie is stupid.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Haven't seen it yet, but might soon since it's on Directv.
From the sound of the posts so far I think if it has any hope it will be as some sort of cult classic.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife and I sat through it. Literally the most boring movie I have seen in years. Please don’t confuse that with cerebral. It’s not. Unless you literally enjoy watching Brad a Pitt stare pensively into space for minutes at a time, don’t bother. The nuclear bomb at the end was about an hour and a half too late.

Donkey balls was an apt description.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I thought it was decent. Decent space film. I’ll take this over superho films any day of the week or anything Disney. Some really good space scenes, spacecrafts, and effects. Was not expecting the baboons. That was some cray cray. It was a decent watch at home in the theater. Definitely reminiscent of Gravity, with some 2001 and Event Horizon mixed in as the reviews said. I’d give it a B score. Could have been better but wasn’t a bad watch. It’s slower paced and more cerebral/internal so I get why some didn’t like it in the theater.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
It was almost as bad as that yellow piece of garbage Melancholia.

The ONLY redeeming aspect was exploding space monkeys.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34082 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Except the monkeys were completely idiotic that it was part of the movie. They literally were going to Neptune to stop an event that was literally killing millions. It was going to destroy all life on the planet. And they stop midway for a half assed rescue mission. What the fuck.

It was cool cinematography but completely retarded that it was in the movie. Advanced zero plot lines.

Literally.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Apocalypse now in space.

The science was shit, the acting was amateur at best. The pulses from the antimatter battery would have killed his father by proximity and the energy expelled would have easily launched the craft from orbit way out past the Heliosphere into interstellar space.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34082 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I streamed it for free and I still felt cheated. What a let down.

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I told my kids, I'm 48 years old, and this is easily in the top three terrible movies.

To which they asked how does that stack up against Aquaman?

I told them that Aquaman was the standard, by which all past and future terrible movies will be judged.

Posts: 11354 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post