SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    calling Maestro or Jim Shugart..., concert question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

calling Maestro or Jim Shugart..., concert question Login/Join 
california
tumbles into the sea
posted
I was watching this concert and noticed every now and then you see (who I think is) a musician just sitting there. I'm guessing that they don't have a part in this particular piece - sitting it out, so to speak. But they don't have an instrument, that I can see, and maybe it's on the floor in front of them. One girl you can see is sitting it out and has her instrument propped on her knee.

A couple examples.

You can see the first girl (with glasses) at :32, who seems to be just sitting there. Later, near the 2:00 mark, at the far top center right, I think I see maybe a flute on her lap - though I don't think she plays it.

At :46 the guy is between two trumpets and throughout this piece he just sits there. Ok, at 2:32 you can see his horn instrument on his lap.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Maestro is a better one to respond to this than I am.

The performers may have parts in other pieces in the concert. It's distracting for orchestra members to come and go between pieces. Their instruments may laying on the floor, etc.

(Since my answer kinda sucked, I offer you this quote from Sir Thomas Beecham to a female cellist: "Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands and all you can do is scratch it.")

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:

(Since my answer kinda sucked, I offer you this quote from Sir Thomas Beecham to a female cellist: "Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands and all you can do is scratch it.")

Or she could put a bow on it!

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Maestro is a better one to respond to this than I am.

The performers may have parts in other pieces in the concert. It's distracting for orchestra members to come and go between pieces. Their instruments may laying on the floor, etc.

Awesome - thanks.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
Orchestral wind players don't always play throughout every piece, so Jim is likely correct about this recording.

Unlike a band, none of the wind parts are doubled in an orchestra. Since this appears to be a youth orchestra, often they will use more players than they need to give more students an opportunity to play. The ones who are not playing might be playing in the next piece in the concert. In fact, different time periods called for different sized orchestras, so if another piece on the concert calls for a larger orchestra, they all might be playing later on in the program.

Posts: 3674 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maestro:
Orchestral wind players don't always play throughout every piece, so Jim is likely correct about this recording.

Unlike a band, none of the wind parts are doubled in an orchestra. Since this appears to be a youth orchestra, often they will use more players than they need to give more students an opportunity to play. The ones who are not playing might be playing in the next piece in the concert. In fact, different time periods called for different sized orchestras, so if another piece on the concert calls for a larger orchestra, they all might be playing later on in the program.
Thanks.