SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Lost In Space Reboot coming to Netflix
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lost In Space Reboot coming to Netflix Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I saw reruns of the original show. It just infuriated me how they kept the villain around instead of stranding him.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Capt Flint is now John Robinson Smile

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thats what the arts need, now more than ever total Androgyny

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
3 eps in. It’s BSG reboot meets Lost In Space.

It’s not horrible but it’s not great. I dig the robot, Judy is pretty awesome. Doctor Smith is cool all the rest pretty forgettable.

One thing that bugs me about modern TV/Film is the forced multi/sex/cultural take. I have NO problems with either when the story is written that way. I just have an issue when it comes across as this show does as .... check box 35a ... add heroic female lead. Check box 53c add multicultural lead. Etc. etc.

I honestly feel as though it takes away from a strong female lead or strong ethnic lead or strong non heterosexual lead etc. if it feels like they were forced into the story vs feeling like they simply belong there.

For example in Buffy The Vampire Slayer I loved Tara and what she eventually drove Willow to become. It felt real/honest. The last season however added a lesbian slayer that felt so shoehorned check Box 82a.

I guess I don’t care about the race, sex, orientation or religion of a character, I just want it to feel real/natural not some tacked in PC gotta have. I get the tacked in PC gotta have in this reboot.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched the first episode and had no desire to press on.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
I watched the whole season and liked it. Parker Posey did a good job playing Dr. Smith. I really hated her (character).

The no guns thing was annoying, and unrealistic PC crap. However, the show was good enough to overlook that. The robot was cool.

I hope they do a second season. I'll watch it.

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Wife and I are about half way through it, we are both liking it.

As noted, Parker Posey does a great job as Dr Smith and her ability to make the character so despicable..

Also, the Penny character probably has, on a whole, the best lines of all. (Those one liners)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of moose201
posted Hide Post
What, no lasers pistols or rifles?

quote:
Originally posted by Storm:
I watched the whole season and liked it. Parker Posey did a good job playing Dr. Smith. I really hated her (character).

The no guns thing was annoying, and unrealistic PC crap. However, the show was good enough to overlook that. The robot was cool.

I hope they do a second season. I'll watch it.

Posts: 264 | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Watched the first three episodes and so far I'm liking it well enough to watch some more. Not sure I like their take on the West character yet though and there are a couple other niggling character issues but going to give the season a chance. Robot is definitely cool and the visuals and landscape do look great in 4K Dolby Vision!

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched another three episodes and stand by my earlier thoughts, decent but although Parker Posey plays the part very well I HATE the character(we're supposed to) I now forward though those scenes. I really have issues with supposedly intelligent people being easily manipulated by someone saying a few words. I think Penny is my favorite character, a normal teenager.

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 884 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by moose201:
What, no lasers pistols or rifles?

!!! POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT !!!

Yea, so that's the stupid, irritating, illogical thing. They have a 3D printer that can print a gun, but mom doesn't like guns, so she won't let them make any. It's really left-wing PC BS.

There's some big ugly creatures on the planet, but instead of printing up some guns, they make spears and clubs. Perfectly logical. Roll Eyes

No, no laser guns.

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I've watched all 10 episodes, I can remember weapons on the original, apparently space is safer in the future! Wink

Yeah, no bias here at all. Roll Eyes
Still, overall, this show isn't bad, it just defies logic on this particular point...

Definite spoiler alert

http://thefederalist.com/2018/...ce-forced-ludicrous/

quote:
The Anti-Gun Plotline In ‘Lost In Space’ Is Forced And Ludicrous
The anti-gun message is an ill-fitting exception to what is otherwise an apolitical show, and is simply not believable as a plot point.

By Ellie Bufkin
April 17, 2018

The “Lost in Space” reboot just released on Netflix is actually very entertaining. There are some big changes from the original series, but the heart and intrigue of the stranded Robinson family is mostly intact — aside from Mom, Maureen Robinson (Molly Parker), consistently belittling her husband, John (Toby Stephens) for little apparent reason.

The rebooted Robinsons are a highly educated and trained family of five sent off to a space colony ahead of the impending destruction of Earth. Things go pear-shaped on the hull en route to colony planet, Alpha Centauri, and the family is forced to evacuate on their Jupiter 2 spacecraft. They crash land on an unknown but habitable planet, where they quickly realize they are not alone. Fellow survivors of the exploded hull, and other intelligent life are also on the planet.

Will Robinson, the youngest of the three children, encounters his buddy robot when he gets lost, and finds the wreckage of an alien space craft. The 2018 robot is from another planet, and although it initially appears hostile, takes a shine to young Will after the boy helps him out of a tree. The family takes in the robot as kin with little question, taking his good intentions as a totem of loyalty to Will, and therefore the rest of the family. Hey, blind trust of a giant robot alien with claws on a completely unknown planet seems logical, right?

In episode three, John (Dad) attempts to access the onboard 3D printer, an item I assume to be standard on all futuristic spacecraft, to print a gun for protection of his family. His print attempt is thwarted by a pop up message indicating the printing of firearms is prohibited because of some sanctions on Alpha Centauri. Well of course, why would you want to allow the future of humanity to become the massive bummer modern earth is because of the existence of guns? Let’s all naively blast off into the space frontier with no way to defend ourselves other than our college degrees and cunning instinct.

Undeterred from his printer rejection of his right to protect his loved ones, John moves on with his day, fixing things, and trying not to be eaten by space eels. Maureen (Mom) later uses the 3D printer to print up some space ship parts, as you do, and sees that the last use of the machine was outside of the legal parameters, and then notices that metal residue in the print tray, indicating that the illegal action had actually been completed.

She confronts John, assuming he is the culprit, immediately chiding him with, “You know how I feel about guns in the house!” Lady, your house is a wrecked space ship on a completely unexplored alien planet, and the man you are currently talking to like he is an unstable relative with a tendency toward “one too many beers” is actually a highly trained Marine. Not just a Marine, but a highly respected Marine who was carefully vetted and selected along with the rest of his family to colonize the new world in space. He is the most qualified person, maybe ever, to have ready access to a weapon. In fact, he should have a lot more than one.

John admits that he tried to print a gun, but was not successful. He weakly attempts to defend himself, saying he should be able to protect his family from whatever else they don’t even know about yet, citing that the alien robot, a giant weapon whose powers are vast and unknown, is basically sleeping in their son’s room at this point. Maureen is undeterred from her misguided convictions, and reaffirms the trust they have in their new robot friend. “It’s protecting Will!” she says. Probably. We think it is.

Throughout the season, and especially in the first few episodes, the Robinsons encounter a multitude of life-threatening situations, which they narrowly escape from. Maureen barely bats an eye of parental concern. Her family is tough, well-trained, brilliant, and quite capable of fending for themselves when necessary. They agreed to leave everything familiar behind and become one of the first space families. When it comes to guns however, there isn’t even a conversation. She dismisses the idea of having a single handgun for defense in a new world as swiftly and directly as I would decline a second helping of mutton.

It is a notable plot point, because the show is, for the most part, apolitical. This is a major exception, and such an eye-rolling, anti-gun message in a place where it absolutely doesn’t belong. No reasonable person would head into unchartered water without protection. It’s not violent, it’s just common sense — no one on the planet would load their three children into a fallible space ship, on a one way trip, without considering they might encounter hostility along the way. Even if they were absolutely certain they would make it to Alpha Centauri without crashing on a strange planet, wasn’t there even a little concern that they might encounter other humans who may want to do them harm? What kind of noble protector would blindly trust a completely unknown future in an unknown land? Even the 1960’s Robinsons had ray guns.

Overall, the series is quite good. I could live with a few less flashbacks, but the plot moves consciously and efficiently, and the cast is strong. The awkward and clunky dialogue damning gun ownership in the face of all logic only slightly detracts from the decent quality of the show.

C’mon, would you want to live on the frontier without a gun? Of course not.
Ellie resides in New York City, you can follow her on Instagram or Twitter.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
haven't got past episode 3,
however

+++++spoiler+++++++++++

the robot does print a firearm, and gives it to Will,,,

so there is at least one on board

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
It's a fun show.

1) If you viscerally objected to Starbuck being recast as a woman, just skip this show. It's not for you.

2) Penny has some of the best lines in the show. She's a great character!

3) They don't explicitly say Judy is Maureen's daughter from a previous relationship until episode 8 or 9, but it's inferred several times. It's not PC crap, it's life. Get over yourselves.

4) Parker Posey is perfect as Dr. Smith. There isn't a single scene with her, in which you won't wish for her untimely and gruesome demise.

I really enjoyed the unique Robot angle. I'm excited for the next season.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the truth will set you free
Picture of ilikefirearms
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g8rforester:
It's a fun show.

1) If you viscerally objected to Starbuck being recast as a woman, just skip this show. It's not for you.

3) They don't explicitly say Judy is Maureen's daughter from a previous relationship until episode 8 or 9, but it's inferred several times. It's not PC crap, it's life. Get over yourselves.

4) Parker Posey is perfect as Dr. Smith. There isn't a single scene with her, in which you won't wish for her untimely and gruesome demise.

Judy is Remmy’s daughter from when Mom was on House of Cards.

Conan! What is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.

Posts: 1508 | Registered: September 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ilikefirearms:
quote:
Originally posted by g8rforester:
It's a fun show.

Judy is Remmy’s daughter from when Mom was on House of Cards.

Cool Big Grin

I finished ep 5 last night, and #4 is spot on,

not sure what the makeup folks did, but she truly looks and acts like someone you would push out the airlock in space

and I chuckled a bit, not sure why , when West named the chicken Debbie

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by side_shot:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/G5uau5sNtDI

Wow, I had forgotten that June Lockhart (Timmie's mother in "Lassie") was in the original Lost In Space.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of moose201
posted Hide Post
Lots of laser goodness in this short reel:

Posts: 264 | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:...

and I chuckled a bit, not sure why , when West named the chicken Debbie

Debbie was the name of the space monkey in LIS TOS.

A lot of Easter Eggs.

I just binge watched the whole Netflix series thanks to Alberto raining me in.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by moose201:
Lots of laser goodness in this short reel:

Someone spent a lot of time making it worse. Frown

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post