SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Heads Up! The Longest Day
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heads Up! The Longest Day Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
Sorry I didn’t see this earlier. It is showing right now on Sundance Channel. It’s already been on about 45 minutes, but with commercials (I’m afraid Sundance has them. It will be on for another 3 hours, so you can see most of it).

“John has a long mustache.”

Posts: 13254 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Thanks, but I’ll wait for a non-commercial showing.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
Thanks, but I’ll wait for a non-commercial showing.

I’m recording. I’ll zip through them; it’s not so bad.

Posts: 13254 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:

I’m recording. I’ll zip through them; it’s not so bad.

I think I have it on DVD if you would like to borrow it on my next trip to your city.

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
That’s alright, Paul, but we should have some supper again.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Great show, especially considering how long ago it was made, and an incredible all star cast.

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's also on Netflix. No commercials.

Posts: 2484 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
the last scene in that movie with Robert Mitchum is one of the most moving in a war movie. I wish I could find a link to it so I could quote it exactly...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I am currently watching a DVD of that money an hour or so at a time.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
the last scene in that movie with Robert Mitchum is one of the most moving in a war movie. I wish I could find a link to it so I could quote it exactly...

Mitchum has two memorable scenes near the end of the movie. In the first, his character, Brig Gen, Norman Cota is talking with Col. Tom Thompson (Eddie Albert). Albert’s character thinks they’re hopelessly hung up on Omaha Beach and that he should “radio the ships” to begin taking soldiers off the beach.

Mitchum’s character says, “What?!? These are our men, Tom. You think we brought ‘em in here to let part of ‘em die and ask the rest of ‘em to turn tail? Hell no, we’re not leaving, we’re going to get up that hill!”

I think the scene you’re referring to though is a couple minutes later. Gen. Cota is moving toward the gully blocked by concertina wire and the massive concrete fortification wall. He comes up on a defeated-looking group of men hunkered down, just waiting. He says.

“Now listen to me. All of ya. You guys gotta *unintelligible. We’re gettin’ off of here and we’re going inland.”

A wounded lieutenant steps up to him carrying an M1 Carbine in his left hand. He asks.
“What about weapons, General?” Most of my men have lost everything they had. They’re not afraid to fight, but they gotta have something to fight with.”

Cota responds, “Strip the dead AND the wounded. Pick up anything that’ll shoot. I don’t have to tell you the story; you all know it. Only two kinds of people are going to stay on this beach, those that are already dead, and those that are gonna die. Now get off your butts! You guys are the Fightin’ 29th!”

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Mitchum did a great job in that movie but the scene I'm talking about I'm pretty sure is the last scene in the movie.... it is after they have made it up the hill.... I'm sure I can find it somewhere, if not I'll track it down and post it myself.

found it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbcMHBWIAcU

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post