SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Red Sea Diving Resort - Netflix
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red Sea Diving Resort - Netflix Login/Join 
posted
Good movie, but great story. If you watch it, make sure to watch it through the ending credits, they show actual photos of real operation.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80240537

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
I watched this last week and really enjoyed it.

It is fast enough to keep ones interest, but slow enough to let the content sink in.

The people that ran this operation had some nerves of steel.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I read that Haley Bennett's character, Yola Reitman, was the key player in that operation. Certainly moreso than Evans' character. A lot of the stuff depicted in the movie actually happened, to one degree or another. Apparently C-130 flights happened several times.

https://www.aish.com/jw/s/Oper...ration-in-Sudan.html

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great article! Thanks

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched it too and thought it was really great. Highly recommended.

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'll probably watch it this weekend.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Overall, not a horrible flick, real history, not sure how much was fictionalized.

- Had a hard time with Chris Evans as a ...Israeli operative
- The liberals undoubtably will pan this as a white savior movie that didn't need to be made Roll Eyes
- Haley Bennett flying into Sudan with a low-cut top, unaccompanied...highly unlikely
- Over-use of the term Navy SEALs....particularly over the radio net
- Good to see Greg Kinear
- Haley Bennett Big Grin

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I finally got a chance to watch this. Overall, pretty decent. Worth watching.

As the OP said, good movie, but great real-life story.

quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

To be fair, he points out when talking about his real mother vs. adopted mother that he was raised in America by a non-Jewish mother, after his European Jewish mother gave him up as baby, in order to ensure his safety when she was refused entry into British Palestine. So he's ethnically Jewish, and traveled to Israel to live once he turned 18, but he's American. (Something that actually came in handy as a Mossad operative, since he could convincingly use an American cover identity, like he does in the film.)

quote:
- Haley Bennett flying into Sudan with a low-cut top, unaccompanied...highly unlikely

The movie does try to show that Sudan at the time they arrived wasn't as strictly Islamic, with the ruling regime then gradually tightening down on Sharia restrictions over the years they were there.

There's a scene about 2/3rds of the way through the film with Greg Kinnear in his office at the embassy listening to the radio broadcast about the new Islamic restrictions that are being implemented, including that women must be accompanied in public and must wear hijab. (So this wasn't a requirement prior to that point.)

He then gets even more outraged when the announcer goes on to say that all alcohol sales would now be prohibited.

quote:
- Over-use of the term Navy SEALs....particularly over the radio net

OMG yes. This was awful. "Our Navy Seals will extract them." "The Navy Seals will infiltrate on an oil freighter." "Radio to base: A Navy Seal has been hit!"

I get that they couldn't use a relatively obscure IDF term like "Shayetet 13". But do people these days not know what "Commando" means? Could they not have just said something generic like "Naval Commandos"? Geez. Roll Eyes

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I finally got a chance to watch this. Overall, pretty decent. Worth watching.

As the OP said, good movie, but great real-life story.

quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

To be fair, he points out when talking about his real mother vs. adopted mother that he was raised in America by a non-Jewish mother, after his European Jewish mother gave him up as baby, in order to ensure his safety when she was refused entry into British Palestine. So he's ethnically Jewish, and traveled to Israel to live once he turned 18, but he's American. (Something that actually came in handy as a Mossad operative, since he could convincingly use an American cover identity, like he does in the film.)

I just thought Evans is too much of a pretty boy to be playing the roll. I'm sure there's some attractive Israeli agents just thought the plausibility of him as an actor with the all-American looks, was out of place.
quote:

quote:

The movie does try to show that Sudan at the time they arrived wasn't as strictly Islamic, with the ruling regime then gradually tightening down on Sharia restrictions over the years they were there.

There's a scene about 2/3rds of the way through the film with Greg Kinnear in his office at the embassy listening to the radio broadcast about the new Islamic restrictions that are being implemented, including that women must be accompanied in public and must wear hijab. (So this wasn't a requirement prior to that point.)

He then gets even more outraged when the announcer goes on to say that all alcohol sales would now be prohibited.

Nothing to do with Islamic/Sharia law and more about general culture. Africa in-general is a socially conservative place, Sudan in the mid-80's was no different. The urban areas, you could get away with more revealing or, flattering styles but, traveling outside of those areas, a women is going to go more modest or, more function over fashion & comfort. As for her traveling on her own, again, same thing, while mid-80's solo women traveling became more prevalent, it was unusual especially to rural, undeveloped areas where the inhabitants aren't familiar to such, independence. Nevertheless, its something to pick at...

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
This looks interesting! Thanks for the heads up I’m gonna watch it tonight. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post