SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    A Mike Tyson Compilation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Mike Tyson Compilation Login/Join 
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted
I forgot how ferocious he was in the 80's, amazing he didn't kill someone in the ring. It's 20 minutes, many of you have nothing better to do Smile

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I've seen this before on you tube. I will NEVER forget how ferocious he was. His opponents referred to his fists as bricks, as he hit that hard. Had he not had psychological issues or got help with them in his youth he would have easily been the GOAT.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
He was a monster for sure, but that narrator sucks.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I've seen this before on you tube. I will NEVER forget how ferocious he was. His opponents referred to his fists as bricks, as he hit that hard. Had he not had psychological issues or got help with them in his youth he would have easily been the GOAT.

agree although i pretty much put him up there as the GOAT

Tyson fought like he was trying to kill somebody

would love to have seen him fight Ali -- both in their prime -- (of course that's a fantasy fight...)

that would have been the ultimate -- power vs finesse

-------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Some people are just better than others at putting their entire body into a punch. I've been punched in the arm by some little skinny dudes that knocked me back a yard. It's a talent. Anyone can swing a punch, but skillfully timing it so all your strength and weight is behind that fist - devastating.

Appears as if Tyson could also take some punches, which is also critical.

He's a scary dude.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Heavyweight pros hit hard and most any can knock out someone with a few good hits. In the interviews by pros that fought Tyson, they said he wasn't the hardest puncher. Hard yes, like most heavyweight pros, but he won by being extremely fast, accurate and relentless delivering those punches.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing some of those fights back in the mid 80s, he was a bad mother fucker. In his prime I don't think anyone in history could have beat him.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I was really into boxing in the eighties.
Watched it a lot.
I saw him on his fourth fight and watched him climb.
He was a beast.
Maybe one of the most effective boxers ever.

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
...but that narrator sucks.

Was that a real person or computer generated?

Looking back, Tyson fought a couple of big slow turds in some of those. lol

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

Looking back, Tyson fought a couple of big slow turds in some of those. lol

that's always the case ... not every fight is vs a 'contender' ... they all get some meatballs thrown in there

the OP got me chasing down the boxing rabbit hole and Ali fought some chumps too

it's part of the 'process' (or racket...) I suppose

against Tyson those chumps only last 15 secs though Big Grin

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pause that video at the 17:14 mark and look at his eyes before he smashes Ribalta. Just wild!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Looking at the various opponents, it reminds me of the world of Golf and Tiger Woods. Tiger brought physical fitness and strength into professional golf. Ive never followed boxing, but looking at this video, it seems that Tyson did the same thing for boxing.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Too bad that thumbnail is just click-bait. I would have paid to see him fight Butterbean.

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
Looking at the various opponents, it reminds me of the world of Golf and Tiger Woods. Tiger brought physical fitness and strength into professional golf. Ive never followed boxing, but looking at this video, it seems that Tyson did the same thing for boxing.

You don't think boxers were strong and physically fit before Tyson?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:

You don't think boxers were strong and physically fit before Tyson?

I imagine many were, but looking at the video, the physiques of Tyson's opponents clearly improved over time. The first couple of guys look like they had regular dad bods while Tyson was ripped. Just reminded me of Tiger going up against guys like Craig Stadler.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think one of Tyson's best fights was with Razor Ruddock. Ruddock was no slouch and was hitting Tyson several times that would knock out many heavyweights out there; yet Tyson showed he also had a great jaw and stamina. Tyson also hit Ruddock so hard many times to the body I believe I remember that Ruddock had to be hospitalized after one of their fights for broken ribs, etc. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
His true talent, what really made him a champ, was that he always came at his opponent. He never let up. His inexorable and unceasing aggression.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Tyson at 53 can still move.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CSqUEGTvgA

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post