SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Article with lots of A-10C Warthog shots from Martin State Airport
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Article with lots of A-10C Warthog shots from Martin State Airport Login/Join 
posted
I think one of our members is in 175WG, though he may not be full time. I loaded munitions on these my first 6 years in the 174TFW, NY ANG.

The link has a 2:00 video and over 25 great still photos.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-...-look-at-the-warthog

BEHIND-THE-SCENES LOOK AT THE ‘WARTHOG’
JOIN US FOR CLOSEUPS OF THE FAIRCHILD REPUBLIC A–10C THUNDERBOLT II CLOSE AIR SUPPORT JET

May 20, 2020
By David Tulis

A ground-to-air encounter with Maryland Air National Guard crews flying the fabled and feared Fairchild Republic A–10C led to an up-close-and-personal look at the armament-carrying Thunderbolt II close air support and ground-attack jet affectionately known as the “Warthog” and a chance to fly one—in a simulator.

Lt. Col. Chris “Slug” Palmer, who participated in an A–10C formation flyover of Maryland to salute coronavirus frontline personnel on May 8, invited AOPA for a visit to Martin State Airport near Baltimore to get to know the flying cannon that the U.S. Air Force calls the “first aircraft specially designed for close air support of ground forces.”

Palmer and Capt. Nick “Rock” Sand are airline pilots and 175th Wing colleagues. They both complimented the twin-engine, twin-rudder jet for its excellent maneuverability at high and low speeds, its range, and its impressive weaponry.

A night vision system allows pilots to spot targets from afar under the cover of darkness, and a bubble canopy provides 360-degree views in the daylight. Titanium armor protects pilots and control systems from ground fire. Armament includes one 30mm GAU-8/A seven-barrel Gatling gun on the aircraft’s nose and up to 16,000 pounds of mixed ordnance. Weaponry is carried on eight under-wing and three under-fuselage pylons and includes AGM-65 Maverick missiles, AIM-9 Sidewinder missiles, laser-guided/electro-optically guided bombs, and numerous countermeasures.

The robust “Warthog” is nicknamed for its aggressive look, and examples of the jet often include a snarling set of teeth painted on its nose. The U.S. Air Force says it can “survive direct hits from armor-piercing and high explosive projectiles up to 23mm. [Its] self-sealing fuel cells are protected by internal and external foam. Manual systems back up [its] redundant hydraulic flight-control systems so pilots can still limp home to land if hydraulic power is lost. Many of the aircraft’s components are interchangeable from the left and right sides.

AOPA Manager of Aviation Events Erick Webb and I tried our hands at flying the “Warthog” in a simulator outfitted with a dizzying array of advanced weaponry and systems (sorry, no photos allowed). The high-energy, aerobatic experience far surpassed our sedate flights from Frederick in a couple of Cessnas.

Palmer and Sand promised the Thunderbolt II would be easy to fly, and they were right. We quickly grew accustomed to manipulating the dual thrust levers and a control stick that contained push-button weapon triggers in addition to familiar push-to-talk communication and trim buttons.

Yank, bank, and fire were the orders of the day as we encountered battleships mysteriously positioned just off the coast of Maryland and dodged other aircraft shooting at us. The Thunderbolt II responded quickly to stick inputs. Liberal use of the trim switch eased pitch forces, but my right arm was getting a good workout anyway. The jet was just as at home upside down and slamming into numerous high-G banks at 250 knots as it was on final to Runway 15 at a relatively sedate 150 kts. The sky around me lit up in red as I touched down close enough to the centerline to apply liberal braking without swerving while under attack by another Air National Guard pilot practicing his shooting skills. I eased myself out of the cockpit in a full sweat despite the air-conditioned flight simulator environment. Webb and I saluted the pilots who routinely practice to maintain our country’s defense and thanked them for the unique opportunity to fly the feared “Warthog.”

The first Thunderbolt II was delivered in 1975 and the upgraded A–10C version was made operational in 2007. The aircraft’s survivability has been proved in numerous enemy encounters, including during operations Desert Storm, Noble Anvil, and Enduring Freedom, among others. The Air Force describes the flying weapons as “simple, effective and survivable twin-engine jet aircraft that can be used against all ground targets, including tanks and other armored vehicles.”

Palmer said Maryland Air National Guard crews can train “down to 100 feet” during “surface attack sorties” that mimic the battlefield arena. However, for safety purposes the aircraft are outfitted with simulated munitions and “everything is done electronically” during training runs in military operating areas near the Chesapeake Bay and Patuxent River.

David Tulis Associate Editor Web/ePilot
David Tulis joined AOPA in 2015 and is a seaplane-rated private pilot who enjoys vintage aircraft, aerobatic flying, and photography.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigmund,

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I get to see them daily and still enjoy it. Probably my favorite military aircraft.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
I'm on the opposite side of Baltimore from Martin State Airport. Saw a formation of three flying over the house last week.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1727 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes I am a traditional guardsman in the 175th but I'm hoping to retire before the end of the year! Many years and many deployments - I'm ready. But the hog will remain for several more years.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. One of my two favorite aircraft Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
"... the A-10Z is the latest in a long line of 'hogs that has served America on the battlefields for over 172 years now. And to think, that the first iteration was almost sent to the smokehouse before ever chomping on its first enemy tank. Having served well in so many campaigns for nearly two centuries and now outfitted with split wings, and being transitioned to the US Space Force, the venerable Warthog, is having the last laugh."

When pigs fly, indeed...

May the 'hog, be with you, always...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Used to watch them fly low over Highway 17 Bypass and land at Myrtle Beach AFB in the 80's.
Looked like you could almost reach up and touch them!

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
One of the most prized gifts from one of my patrol officers deployed to Afghanistan in 2020 was the flag flown on a A10 mission in the region.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post