SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The West Wing - In Excelsis Deo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The West Wing - In Excelsis Deo Login/Join 
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted
Someone brought up the West Wing in another discussion and it got me thinking about my favorite scene from it:

Posts: 3925 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I recognized the scene from your title, one of the most powerful scenes from the entire series IMHO.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3847 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Aw dang, I had never seen that before. Now I want to watch the whole episode.
What a beautiful scene

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3587 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
That really choked me up.

Posts: 12178 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
That really choked me up.

Yea, no matter how many times i've seen it, it always hard for me to watch it.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3847 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
Aw dang, I had never seen that before. Now I want to watch the whole episode.
What a beautiful scene

Yes you do need to watch the whole episode. There is a scene earlier with Mrs. Langingham talks about her boys.....which kind of explains why she asks to go with Toby in the above scene.

I got this from a post to the episode:

After reading through the script, the Pentagon was very touched by the handling of the story line dealing with the death of a homeless veteran of the Korean conflict. In fact, they were so impressed that they gave the show access to film at Arlington National Cemetery, (ANC is administered by the U.S. Army Military District of Washington). The Department of Defense then supplied the Marine Honor Guard and chaplain, and set up the whole funeral. During the funeral scene, all persons in uniform are members of the U.S. Armed Forces, performing their actual roles in a military funeral. Richard Schiff has said that it was such a powerful and moving story, that after every take, he broke down and cried.

The fourth man in the funeral scene at Arlington Cemetery was John C. Metzler Jr., then-superintendant of Arlington National Cemetary, portraying himself.http://westwing.bewarne.com/queries/phonenumber.html#funeral

The tie in to the Little Drummer Boy is extremely powerful.

Posts: 3925 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
The first 4ish seasons of that show were so good....doesn’t matter your politics....yes, Sorkin is a liberal and it leaks through...but their treatment and respect for the military and the institutions they portrayed were excellent

Merry Christmas everyone

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post