SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Can you display an ipad on a smart tv???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you display an ipad on a smart tv??? Login/Join 
posted
Is there a cable or something to where you can display an IPOD MINI 2 on a smart tv?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Apple TV...

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
http://www.apple.com/shop/acce...er&fh=47a7+45d4+45c4

Apple makes adapters that allow you to plug into the HDMI, Or AV ports on Tv's. The easiest though is the aforementioned Chromecast, guys at work use it all the time with their iPhone, casting to the Samsung TV in our briefing room, should work with an Ipod too, provided it has wifi.

Posts: 2585 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's an IPAD actually. I have a Samsung 46" LED TV which doesn't have WIFI unless I buy the Samsung adapter. What I want to do is get a tv show via wifi on my IPAD mini2 and display it on my tv. So what cable do I need. Is a lightning cable with a USB plug going to work? Or, do I need a a/v ipad cable. I have a roku unfortunately, not an apple tv box.

posted Hide Post
http://a.co/dqONMcX

Little pricey but will get you what you want.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I vote Chromecast.
My BIL got me a couple of them for Chirstmas a couple years ago and we use them all the time on our TV's

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I have hooked up and mirrored iPads to projectors with an Apple lightning to VGA adapter. For a late model TV, a lightning to digital (HDMI) adapter will work. $49 from the Apple Store.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
You can do it wireless I believe.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the apple product JDP posted is the way I'm going to have to go. I get xfinity to go on my ipad. SO it would be nice to stream it while traveling and other places instead of watching shows on a 7" screen.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
I have hooked up and mirrored iPads to projectors with an Apple lightning to VGA adapter. For a late model TV, a lightning to digital (HDMI) adapter will work. $49 from the Apple Store

Yep, Apple HDMI connector for your gen Ipad. I prefer the $79 AppleTV instead though. Wireless. Extra $20 or so, just get the Apple TV instead. Can do so much more with it. You can mirror the pad, play youtube or videos in safari and send them to the tv. All while surfing Sig Forum like I'm doing now. Got MotoGP FP3 playing from the pad to the appletv, full hd, and I'm surfing....

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
I have hooked up and mirrored iPads to projectors with an Apple lightning to VGA adapter. For a late model TV, a lightning to digital (HDMI) adapter will work. $49 from the Apple Store

Yep, Apple HDMI connector for your gen Ipad. I prefer the $79 AppleTV instead though. Wireless. Extra $20 or so, just get the Apple TV instead. Can do so much more with it. You can mirror the pad, play youtube or videos in safari and send them to the tv. All while surfing Sig Forum like I'm doing now. Got MotoGP FP3 playing from the pad to the appletv, full hd, and I'm surfing....

Where can you get an Apple TV for $79? I see them selling for a lot more where I've looked.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Least expensive I see is $129 for a refurbished one on Apple.com.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I believe the Roku lets you do this.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
It's an IPAD actually. I have a Samsung 46" LED TV which doesn't have WIFI unless I buy the Samsung adapter. What I want to do is get a tv show via wifi on my IPAD mini2 and display it on my tv. So what cable do I need. Is a lightning cable with a USB plug going to work? Or, do I need a a/v ipad cable. I have a roku unfortunately, not an apple tv box.

Here is the link to the Apple HDMI to Lighting cable. I have one, and it's great. I keep it in my bag with me when I travel so I can stream to any TV.

http://www.apple.com/shop/prod...d--product-MD826AM/A

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a roku unfortunately.

What's the issue? You can mirror an iPad to a Roku:

How to Mirror iPhone/iPad to Roku

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:

Where can you get an Apple TV for $79? I see them selling for a lot more where I've looked.

They wee selling the previous 1080p gen for $79 for a while. I guess they finally cut it from production. I searched on ebay, and if you search for the third gen apple tv, yep $76-79

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, here is the issue. I bought the Apple lightning cable to HDMI. I get Comcast to Go (from another account I have) on my IPAD which includes starz, I pay for Sony TV at my house, showtime to go. None of these will play with the lightning link plugged in, they all say unplug lightning link to play. They will all play on my ipad anywhere. Is there anyway to get around this? I bought it so I could watch what I want when traveling on a tv and none of it will work because it detects the air play.