SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Night Stalker on Netflix
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Night Stalker on Netflix Login/Join 
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted
This is a documentary and not a drama series about a killer in the LA area in the mid eighties. I figured out who it was, but I didn't tell my wife because I'm not sure if it would spoil the experience. Watched the first one and it is well made and interesting. Looking forward to more.

I saw this appear on Netflix last week and immediately thought it likely a rehash of the old Darren McGavin Nightstalker series from the seventies, so I dismissed it.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
If you have seen Ramirez’s face, you have seen the devil.

I was in Orange Co during his reign of terror. Really wish he had been beaten to a greasy stain in the road when the good citizens of LA caught him.

Too bad cops had a pretty decent response time that day.

I hope he had an excruciating painful death.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10937 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He was one's worst nightmare. What he did to some of his victims was right out of a horror movie.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watched it earlier this evening. Excellent documentary.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
I have read most of the serial killer books out there and he was definitely one of the most evil ones. Downright evil and brutal.
On a side note, you gotta love the females who are attracted to someone like this.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1852 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
WTF with these women who married him in prison?

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I watched it on Wednesday (the day of release), not only because it's an interesting case, but because I'm fortunate enough to know the LASD Homicide investigators (now retired) Frank Salerno and Gil Carrillo. Yea, I'm biased, because both of these guys are great people as well as consummate professionals, but what really impressed me about the series is that they showed these men as they really are and provided that honest look at so much of the investigation's details, both highs and lows.

The inaction, stupid decisions, and outright interference with the investigation by some (especially by then San Francisco Mayor/now US Senator from California Diane Feinstein) were monumental risks to the integrity of the case. As a retired LEO myself, I've watched and have even been involved in the production of "true crime" documentaries for years. Some of these are okay, some are simply gratuitous trash that provide more entertainment than any kind of real educational benefits. This mini-series is probably the best I've seen. While extremely gripping as a story of human experience, it's also a clear eyed view of what exemplifies being a true law enforcement professional. Great documentary, absolutely a "must see"!!!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Interesting but they do move quickly over the detail of the violent acts.

Posts: 17885 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
...I'm fortunate enough to know the LASD Homicide investigators (now retired) Frank Salerno and Gil Carrillo. Yea, I'm biased, because both of these guys are great people as well as consummate professionals, but what really impressed me about the series is that they showed these men as they really are and provided that honest look at so much of the investigation's details, both highs and lows.
I got a definite sense of genuine truth in their portrayals especially with Carrillo. When Salerno talks about the child abductions you can tell he is really holding in a raging hatred of the perpetrator. It is palpable and rings very true to life. Impressive for a documentary.

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
LMAO, when I saw the title I thought Kolchak"

Posts: 2162 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
Just watched this over 2 days. Excellent series, very well done. I learned some things I didn’t know about Ramirez. I agree, his level of deprivation was a whole new level. I must say, I really liked that one SF Inspector and his recollection of how he got that guy to talk. Straight up old school.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in my hot-rodding days of my youth, one of the guys that hung-out with us got prison time for auto theft. While in jail, he worked in the kitchen and served the other inmates; Richard Ramirez was one of the inmates, he was in-between prisons and was being held at the SF jail. He related how other inmates gave him a a lot of space and was the scariest person in the joint...not the biggest or, unpredictable but, 'the guy had the devil on his shoulder' kind of vibe.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
We enjoyed this documentary as well. It was extremely well done, and didn't have all the PC/woke nonsense that is all too common these days. They even aired the Diane Feinstein press conference, and then threw her and other politicians under the bus for putting their egos ahead of catching the killer.

Posts: 479 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mutiny:
We enjoyed this documentary as well. It was extremely well done, and didn't have all the PC/woke nonsense that is all too common these days. They even aired the Diane Feinstein press conference, and then threw her and other politicians under the bus for putting their egos ahead of catching the killer.

The actions by Sheriff Sherman Block to recognize the harm done to the investigation by Feinstein (and others) and his efforts to support his detectives was exemplary. You just don't see that kind of thing these days and those who followed him (after his death) into office as Sheriff of Los Angeles County, couldn't hold a candle to the man.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One can only hope, that after watching this series, those people who've been gleeful and eager to see funding cut for police departments during 2020, do a 180 switch of such sentiments. A ton of work and resources was needed to build this case, and at various points, could've been un-done due to some stupidity and ego by others outside of the case. Guys like Carrillo and Salerno, odd school tough-guys like Insp.Frank Falzon, along with the regular beat cops who did their jobs, is whom police departments are made up of.

I remember the killings well as a youth growing up in San Francisco, the 70's were not kind to the city, as the Zodiac killings still lingered, David Carpenter the 'Trailside Killer' had been the biggest serial killer to date, into the 80's the Golden State killer was still out there, at the same time as Ramirez, Charles Ng and Leonard Lake were doing their murderous spree. Just a crazy time and place.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
I have read a little about the case, but after watching this, had no idea about how inhuman Ramirez was.

A very good documentary, but, holy shit. That guy was a monster.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I was in junior high at the time I remember hearing about it on the news. One of my friends in school claimed to be his cousin. Don't know if it was true or if he was just blowing smoke...

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post