New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Orville Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
What is this? Looks like a cross between Star Trek and GalaxyQuest trying to be funny & profit from the small screen absence of Star Trek.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SecurityGeek
posted Hide Post
It's Seth MacFarlane, so I'm willing to give it a shot for at least an episode or two. Hopefully the trailers don't contain all of the funny bits.

"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you was?"

- Satchel Paige

Posts: 194 | Location: Little Elm, Texas | Registered: April 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I'll be giving it a try.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
I'll be giving it a try. Looks better than the Star Trek show coming out at least.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
Looks like it has potential. I'll give it a whirl.

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Spoilers - with an eye towards criticism first. Believe in delivering the bad news first...

Starts off with a Star Trek like intro. Then shows the captain to be the anti-Kirk (women cheat on him, he's not the 1st choice of not the best ship in the fleet).

Holodeck, with live action World of Warcraft.

Irreverent humor, a step beyond Galaxy Quest, speaking of which the ship looks a bit like the Galaxy Quest one. Informality for humor's sake blows past believably of command structure and ship's operations.

Star Trek style ship reveal of the Orville...

Chief of security looks sort of like Bellana Torres.
Science officer looks/sounds like a mix between C3P0 & Marvin the Paranoid Android (though it looks like he's a dude in a spacesuit and not a robot).

How does a spiral staircase fit into a tactical spaceship?

Admiral Halsey??

Ex-wife as XO... never saw that coming Roll Eyes

And the Krill ship is Klingon green. Great... And they look substantially like the Jem'Hadar, minus the feeding tube.

General Motors seat belts on the shuttle craft Wink Oh, wait, the seat belts came in handy.

The good:
Beautiful cinematography & makeup. Very nice creativity. Some humor is smile causing. As with the above it is very difficult to enter this genre without appearing derivative, and none of it, while juvenile, seems outright disrespectful to prior shows. It's nice to have a show of this general sort on TV again with a refreshing sentiment.

EDIT: Longer, professional review

And another

Looks like the reviewers online all see it about the same way.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
Have to say I've actually started looking forward to the premiere of it tonight. Definitely more than the new ST show.

Also I believe one of the previews stated his 1st officer would be his ex-wife.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It actually looks to be fun and 1,000 times less preachy and full of self-importance that I detect in that new CBS Star Trek show that's coming.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
It actually looks to be fun and 1,000 times less preachy and full of self-importance that I detect in that new CBS Star Trek show that's coming.

Yeah, something tells me the producers behind The Orville don't care if Seth McFarlane says the words, God or Damn. Or even God damn for that matter.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Just watched it. A little slow and predictable. But worth viewing the next episode.

My only nit is that, for me, I couldn't get the female doctor's previous role on Castle to not distract me.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
It was very derivative and mostly blah, but with good visuals and a few bits of McFarlane humor. I really hoped for more originality, but it just wasn't there. I'll probably give it at least another shot or two, but if Fox pulls a typical Fox move and cancels it like Firefly, Space: Above and Beyond, or Brisco, I really don't think I'll be disappointed like I was with those shows.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2094 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Firefly was much better

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't watch it even if you held me at gunpoint. Not interested in anything Seth McFarlane has to say these days, and that's not going to change. NASA needs to launch his ass into space so that he can scout some locations for his hilarious new show. Roll Eyes

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It's pretty meh so far. Will check out a couple of more episodes to see where it goes. I'm not quite sure who the intended audience is. Not consistently funny enough to be a straight comedy, not real sci-fi enough to scratch that itch particularly well, either. Not Galaxy Quest enough to supplant or even equal that favorite. Not Trek enough to be compared. No idea how they'll make it several episodes or more, but, hey, there is even dumber shit on television, so, who knows, maybe it'll be wildly popular.

And I like his stuff and most sci-fi.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 46and2,

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
Firefly was much better

Firefly was much better than ANY OTHER SCI-FI SHOW EVER MADE OR EVER WILL BE.

That being said, I liked it. Naturally, there are comparisons between this show and Star Trek/Galaxy Quest. It's almost impossible to make a show of this sort without comparisons. Basically, it looked to me (from the trailers) that this would be a Galaxy Quest show that has been re-imagined with different actors. Watching the show, I validated this theory (especially since the ships look so similar in design philosophy).

In a modern sci-fi show, you can't have any bad guy race WITHOUT people comparing them to Klingons, or Romulans, or Jem Hadar, or Borg. . . Every ship will be compared to the Enterprise. Every captain will be compared to Kirk (if he's an action guy) or Picard (if he's more of a diplomat) or Sisko (if he's more of a 'loose cannon'). Every exceptionally smart and/or dispassionate crew member will be compared to Spock or Data. Every doctor will be compared to McCoy or Crusher. Any chief engineer will be compared to Scotty or LaForge. The helmsman will be compared to Sulu. The tough, strong, warrior-race chief of security will be compared to Worf (or Tasha Yar if you are a really hard-core TrekNerd). Hey, at least they don't have any bratty 12-yr olds running around (they REALLY don't need a Wesley Crusher in the cast).

I liked it. It was funny, and since Star Trek isn't serious about making a new, original show, I'm glad somebody else did (don't even get me started on frakking prequel shows like Star Trek: Enterprise or the new prequel series coming out that I have very little interest in).

It's only been one episode, so it's not really enough material to base an informed decision on the entire show (ST: Next Gen SUCKED for the entire first two seasons). But, I'm hopefully optimistic. The cast seems to have good chemistry (especially the XO Smile ). I'm going to watch and see how they progress with character development.

Oh, and I liked the model of the Wright Flyer on the captain's desk. Nice attention to detail.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StarTraveler:
It was very derivative and mostly blah, but with good visuals and a few bits of McFarlane humor. I really hoped for more originality, but it just wasn't there. I'll probably give it at least another shot or two, but if Fox pulls a typical Fox move and cancels it like Firefly, Space: Above and Beyond, or Brisco, I really don't think I'll be disappointed like I was with those shows.

Could not have said it better myself.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was very derivative

I think that was kinda the point, no?

It's supposed to be a Galaxy Quest/Star Trek mashup that doesn't take itself too seriously.

I honestly do think that new Star Trek: Discovery series on CBS is going to flop from what I see and read of it. People just don't want to be lectured and preached to like it seems to want to do.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
It was very derivative

I think that was kinda the point, no?

It's supposed to be a Galaxy Quest/Star Trek mashup that doesn't take itself too seriously.

I suppose. I stumbled upon the show without reading a review or otherwise knowing anything about it until searching for reviews after the show was over. This was during the "shaking my head, wondering what I'd just watched" phase. It seemed to be very Trek-like (or Trek-lite?) with only a bit of poorly done Galaxy Quest thrown in for good measure. Chris Cabin's review that I read at Collider.com may have said it best:

"At this year’s TCA, Seth MacFarlane had a problem. Following screenings of the first few episodes of The Orville, his new science-fiction comedy for Fox, it was clear that the show hadn’t exactly bowled the audience over. Even worse, it seemed that they had quickly hooked onto a problematic truth: that MacFarlane and Fox had made a Star Trek show in everything but name, and set it to debut only a few weeks before CBS’s Star Trek: Discovery. MacFarlane denied the similarities to the iconic series with gusto, but the cat was irrefutably out of the bag."

Another review claimed it was supposed to be a "dram-edy," but it seemed very much like the parody that, according to the cast, it isn't supposed to be.

http://www.buddytv.com/article...dont-call-65971.aspx

Personally, I thought it was okay, but was somewhat disappointed that they didn't try to be at least a little bit original and make it so much better.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2094 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
one giggle , 30 min. in is not going to cut it

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
From the short previews in I saw in between commercials this weekend, there is no way I'd waste my time to watch that show.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post