Notify
Tools

The Orville Login/Join 
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
Another good episode. It was sooo Star Trek, it was great.

T-Bag from Prison Break was a good bad guy of the week.

The only things holding the show back IMHO are the constant current pop culture references. It was always a little cringy on star trek but at least it was few and far between.

The other is I feel like they are using the divorce as a crutch. Anytime the characters don't have anything to talk about, that's what they fill the void with.

Yeah, if they got over the dumb genitalia jokes, it could actually be a decent 'real' sci-fi show. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Episode 4 was decent.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
Episode 4 was decent.

It gave me mood whiplash. One minute, they are making weiner jokes/references; the next, they are showing a woman being physically beaten and tortured. It's too serious for a comedy and too flippant for a drama.

JUST PICK ONE and run with it. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Mmmm... Charlize Theron... Smile

And the practical joke sub-plot. Somehow I had a feeling... Smile

My wife and I are liking this series more and more with each episode.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Mmmm... Charlize Theron... Smile

And the practical joke sub-plot. Somehow I had a feeling... Smile

My wife and I are liking this series more and more with each episode.

+1

Loved the episode and the sub plot was genuinely hilarious.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
The Orville is like a very well done fan-fic of ST-TNG, but by professional actors.

I like this better than STD by a long mile. Then again, nobody is supposed to like STD... Razz

Posts: 2640 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
I have to say I've really liked these past two episodes of The Orville, the giant colony ship & one with Charlize Theron. Both plots would have been right at home with the TNG crew manning things. It's turning out to be a pretty solid viewing, though I am getting sick of the "Alara, open this jar of pickles for me would ya?" line.

Dunno why but I really cracked up at the elevator scene, "Cool, cool coo coo coo cool." Probably because I'm just as awkward in them myself.

Im still waiting for a "There are FOUR lights" or "Darmok and Jalad" reference.

BTW - you can have Charlize, I'll take Adrianne Palicki (First Officer) or Halston Sage (Alara)any day of the week.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
That's a good description. ^ it is a lot like professionally done fan fic or a skit. It's funny enough, I guess, sometimes definitely so. Nothing just flat out sucks about it.

The sci-fi bits strike me as both surprisingly taken seriously (for a comedy) and equally fairly pointless, or maybe perfunctory is a better word. Basic tropes, sitcom quality vs hardcore/real sci-fi. The plots in general aren't vapid, yet they don't mean much either. I do think it ultimately comes off as sort of confused, in its straddling of both genres and doing neither in a stellar manner nor (yet) blending them in a truly winning recipe.

Firefly (unfair comparison) was chocked full of plenty of genuinely funny bits, yet was a far more serious show with much more sophistication, and very much real sci-fi meets a western in space. The Orville is like an elaborate SNL skit that's a bit less campy than normal and also more serious about the backstory than you'd expect, yet not enough of the sci-fi to mean much in a real sci-fi sense.

They're lucky the new Trek isn't going to be available for free. Smile

I hope it's around long enough to settle it's identity crisis and catche its stride better.

Ultimately, Seth is funny and talented but he's no Joss nor Card/Adams/Roddenberry/etc.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating, sleeping and boinking. Everything else is just Filler.
Picture of terma-nator
posted Hide Post
I noticed that Jonathan Frakes was director. He directed a bunch of STTNG episodes as well.

I think this show will get better as we all (including the actors) get used to it.

I love it here!

My Gun collection:
Too many to list. Lets just say that the zombies should look elsewhere.

Posts: 1671 | Location: Back in the good 'ol U.S.A. (South Fla) | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
They're lucky the new Trek isn't going to be available for free. Smile

In my wife's and my minds: That wouldn't have mattered. STD was "meh" for both of us. So "meh" that, when we found out it was going to pay streaming only, we just laughed it off.

Then came the BS with the Klingons being an allegory for "racist Trump supporters" and the taking the knee thing. After that we wouldn't watch it even if they did bring it back to broadcast TV.

We both agree that The Orville is much better than STD.

And, yeah: Firefly was much better in all respects.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
This show continues to entertain me. It is slowly getting better every episode IMO.

i agree with a previous poster about Charlize Theron, she's got nothing on Adrianne Palicki.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I like it.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DubiousDan
posted Hide Post
I like that Bortus sounds very much like Warf and Isaac like Data.

P220
P239 (.40)
SP2340 (.40)

Posts: 200 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I just glanced at the Cast profiles and realized that Bortus is portrayed by the no nonsense Cop dad from the later seasons of Shameless, and Bortus' partner is played by the boxer (Cutty) from The Wire.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Wonder when the U.S.S Redenbacher will show up...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Wonder when the U.S.S Redenbacher will show up...

The Wilbur would be more appropriate.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
So I am 4 episodes in and it seems to be moving more to the serious side and I like it. It really feels TNG/Voyager and that's a good thing. Most of the characters are likeable. Honestly if they took a more serious take ala Star Trek I think it would really scratch a lot of trekkies itches.

I dig it. I missed "Star Trek". Smile

Liam Neeson how the hell did they get him for this as well as Charleze Theron in the next.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
OK, maybe I will give Orville another chance.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
does it bug anyone else that when they show the entire ship changing course, it banks or rolls ,

like an aircraft would ?

why would it do that? there is no air or wind to deal with.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like this show. It's not a comedy, per se, but a lighthearted knock off of the original Star Trek. Fun for what it is, but hardly "must see" tv. If that really exists anymore....

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3477 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post