SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Animals - The House Of The Rising Sun
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Animals - The House Of The Rising Sun Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
My stepmothers huge family has always sung this at their annual family reunion and I never realized it was about whorehouses until I was in high school and started putting two and two together! Eek

Odd choice for a family singalong, don't you think?

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not odd at all. I live in WV.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thats my ringtone on my phone!!

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
Not odd at all. I live in WV.

Ha Ha Ha...I am from WV too and heard many sing it here.

Posts: 2162 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MG34_Dan:
When I was Young

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="408" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ur30bn_3G58" width="725"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

At first I thought the perspective of this song was from aging pilots in the footage of the fighter planes. I looked up Eric Burdon's bio and he was born in 1941 so might have some childhood memories of war fears.

Posts: 7452 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many years ago when “Sky Pilot” came out a WWII vet told me a Sky Pilot was military slang for a chaplain.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:
Many years ago when “Sky Pilot” came out a WWII vet told me a Sky Pilot was military slang for a chaplain.

Wow, seems so obvious listening to it now. "Sky Pilot" was on the radio at the height of Nam and I just passed it off as a rather ham-handed anti-war song when such songs were everywhere. Not to say it wasn't anti-war, it was, but something more than one-dimensional.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8330 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:

It is for the Brits

I’ve never heard a US chaplain referred by that term.

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post