SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Are there certain songs that immediately take you somewhere else?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are there certain songs that immediately take you somewhere else? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Bob Seger, Like a Rock. Reminds me of my summer of ‘76.

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I'm like sig operator: Some songs take me back to a "where and when" memory or memories. One such is Quicksilver Messenger Service's live 22 minute "Who Do You Love" suite, recorded on their Happy Trails album in 1969.

I had my first car in high school, a 1961 Mini Cooper, and I loved driving it on the twisty back roads of then-suburban Virginia while listening to it blast from my speakers.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
In a similar vein to the above, I remember driving from Maryland to Virginia one night while listening to one of the "underground" radio stations of the day when they aired this.

The singer (Bill Champlin) went on to become a vocalist for the supergroup, Chicago. Here, he sounds frighteningly like Lou Rawls.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are a few.

Coolio - Gangster's Paradise - I don't care for the song, but it immediately takes me back to a warm 1996 summer evening riding around in the back of my friend's Mom's mustang with the top down sitting next to the woman I'd eventually marry.

The Presidents of the United States - Stranger. I'm not sure why this stuck with me but, when I hear this song, I'm all of a sudden a kid in the back of a mini-van with my headphones on headed up I-71 to Perfect North for some skiing with my best friend's family.

Violent Femmes - American Music. - Spring 1997 cruising down an empty Watterson Expressway at 10:30 at night, windows down, not a care in the world...that is until the cop that was following me for a couple miles finally lit me up and gave me my first ticket ( i never noticed him). He also gave me some great advice: He said "I've been behind you for 5 minutes. Next time, pay more attention to your surroundings".

Posts: 728 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CCR- CCR album.

Ft. Lewis Washington. Went to base club and took out guitar amps and headphones. Met another guy who showed me how to play those songs and we jammed together playing the album. A great time.

Many others to many other times.
Slow dancing Johnny Rivers takes me back to early times with my wife(then girl friend).

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
Guns and Roses Sweet Child of Mine gets me back to basic training.

It's interesting how so many of our stories in this thread are military related. Very cool...

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Way too many to name; I have strong associations with countless songs going back to early childhood (and that's a long time).

Posts: 2690 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
As above, there are too many to name for me.

There is this one, stronger than all the others. I was eight at the time, and going regularly to a junior college indoor pool to take a Red Cross swimming course. It just kind of haunted me later with thoughts of a simpler time, makes me miss it terribly. Everything about that time, my parents, my brothers, right up to even the nature of life in the U.S. in those years.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/VkKxmnrRVHo

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7248 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post