SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Are there certain songs that immediately take you somewhere else?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are there certain songs that immediately take you somewhere else? Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
Sinéad O'Connor singing Nothing Compares 2 You immediately takes me to the beaches of Okinawa in the early 1990’s.

Van Halen Hot for Teacher immediately takes me to high school and playing dungeons and dragons in the library.

Stuck in the Middle takes me to watching Reservoir Dogs for the first time.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Iron Butterfly - Ina Gadda Da Vida takes me to late 1968 - 69 in my 1957 Chevy. Tenna 8-track tape player with 2 - 6 X 9 speakers in the rear package shelf. Sound level at blastin. Country road around Marietta Ga., windows down, long neck Bud in my hand.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.
Rockets me right back to my second year in the USAF at K.I. Sawyer.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig operator:
Iron Butterfly - Ina Gadda Da Vida takes me to late 1968 - 69 in my 1957 Chevy. Tenna 8-track tape player with 2 - 6 X 9 speakers in the rear package shelf. Sound level at blastin. Country road around Marietta Ga., windows down, long neck Bud in my hand.

I like that picture!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38674 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Not a song but a band. The band REO Speedwagon takes me back to let’s say, date night.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about a certain CD. DAD's "No Fuel Left For The Pilgrims", puts me hanging out in the local park, in the late 80's. Hanging out with my friends, my future wife, eating pizza and just doing stupid stuff that you did when you were in your early 20's. To this day if I'm ever in a bad mood I listen to that CD and it puts me right back there, and it just makes me feel better.

Posts: 1249 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: December 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
When I was in the USAF I was at Mc Guire AFB for a time. The C-141's would bring in the dead from VN occasionally. When they did , if You were nearby on the flight line and they went past we would all stand at attention.

We had a tape player wired in to one of our Munitions trucks. We played 8 tracks while we waited for the F-105's to come in for arm/rearm.

One day the Beatles are on, and one of the 141's is taxiing by and we see the Honor Guard out. That acft had dead on board, returning home.

As we stood outside at attention, "Let it Be" started to play. To this day, when I hear that song it takes me back to that day and exact moment.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Your Wildest Dreams" by The Moody Blues always makes me think of the girl I had a crush on in junior high.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This takes me to Savannah whenever I hear it.
[FLASH_VIDEO]

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/C9TdcuZyVI4 [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
I got a couple:

Bob Seger Night Moves: Went to his concert close to our High School Graduation and ended slow dancing with a cheerleader I had a crush on from the 9th grade on (she was a black haired beauty with.....) while he played that song. That summer lryics in that song occurred several times.........yeah, Night Moves.

Another one that sends me back is the first time I did a TDY to Clark AFB in the Philippines as a Town Patrol SP: Al Stewart's The Year Of the Cat: On a morning from a Bogart movie
In a country where they turn back time
You go strolling through the crowd like Peter Lorre contemplating a crime
......takes me right back there.

The last one one is Jimi Hendrix's Along The Watch Tower: we were doing air assault training and the helicopter pilot and crew chief were both big Hendrix fans. I vividly remember the first time repelling out of the helicopter while they jammed Along The Watch Tower.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
George Harrison's What Is Life takes me back to my yellow 1969 396/325 horse 4 speed bench seat Chevy Nova (drove like shit W/O power steering...but it beat the '67 Renault R8) and my dates to the Varsity Drive-in in Atlanta...I've left that place with tires smoking onto North Avenue Big Grin...

Ignore Kam Nelson's dancing if you can...(she is one of us Cool)...

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/h-DMM61ZAvk

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10586 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Too many to list, but anything Depeche Mode takes me back to 1986 sitting on the grass in the general admission section at Park West in Park City on a warm summer night with the prettiest girl in school.

Posts: 1812 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Madonna's Crazy for You takes me back to every high school dance.

Posts: 1812 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
High school

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPLWBhNW3FM

Better days

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni1iJExCWh8

Posts: 89 | Location: North Texas | Registered: August 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Cool change > Little River Band

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
Ignore Kam Nelson's dancing if you can...(she is one of us Cool)...

Yeah, like I could ignore that. Big Grin

While studying the video, I noticed the dance is a 10 second loop and The Dancing Troll uses the same loop on all his videos.

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
The first one to come to mind is "Happy Together" by the Turtles. In '67' while in AIT at Ft. Ord, 3 buddies and I would go to Stilwell Hall and drink copious amounts of beer and we'd sing Happy Together while walking back to the barracks. Good times during hard times.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
George Strait - The Man in Love with You

I'd elaborate, but it's too personal...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Pink Floyd - Animals.

Shortly after the album came out, I came down with chicken pox just after coming out of the 11th grade.

In the summer.

In a house without air conditioning.

Yes, I was miserable. That music took me away from said misery. With ever I listen to that album (still have that same piece of vinyl to accompany a CD version), I am taken back to that summer, the heat, the misery.

The reality of it for me is though, it was a great time in my life. I came closer to Christ and realized if I worked harder, there was a slight chance I could make the 1980 Olympic swim team. I remember the music as a defining moment in life.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Kenny Chesney's "Anything But Mine" brings back a lot of memories of the last woman I dated before I met my wife. The video to this song was shot at Myrtle Beach at the old Pavilion, which was a special spot for us. I'll never forget her, and I'll never hear this song without some really fond memories.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6c8a90PWIM

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post