SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Post your favorite Film Noir
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Post your favorite Film Noir Login/Join 
posted
I have been watching TCM films for some time and really enjoy Film Noir. I think Laura and Angel Face have been the most enjoyable for me. I am interested in seeing what other films forum members would suggest.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure if they actually qualify, but 'Chinatown' and 'Blade Runner' are mine

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Maltese Falcon" with Humphrey Bogart.

Pragmatism: the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.

Posts: 169 | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Taxi Driver. (not sure if it qualifies)

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Dark City

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Double Indemnity
2nd place: The Killers. With a smoking hot young Ava Gardner.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The Yakuza.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1st: Double Indemnity
2nd: Detour
3rd: The Blue Dahlia

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I love seeing films shot in the San Francisco Bay Area. As such, my favorite film noir is probably Dark Passage (1947), but The Sniper (1952) and The House on Telegraph Hill (1951) are right behind.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
"Brick". Just suspend all disbelief about transplanting classic hard-boiled characters and plot into a high school environment, and get in on the ride.

Posts: 2406 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
The Roaring Twenties (1939) - James Cagney, Humphrey Bogart.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CharlieSW:
"The Maltese Falcon" with Humphrey Bogart.
My pick also.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Out of the Past, Double Indemnity, The Big Sleep, and Chinatown. Probably in that order. Admittedly, I’m only a sophomore in para’s school of Film Noir.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
The Crooked Way with John Payne and Percy Helton is excellent. Of course Big Sleep, Double Indemnity, and Laura too are also very good.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sunset Boulevard. - Holden.

The Big Heat.- Ford.

In a Lonely Place.- Bogart

White Heat.- Cagney.

Odd Man Out. - Mason.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I faithfully record Noir Alley on TCM. The other thing I enjoy about these films is remembering how things looked when I was a kid. The cars, the slang expressions, the snappy dialogue. Basic human emotions and relationships have not changed.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Lady from Shanghai

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4784 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
Vertigo and The Big Sleep. For more recent examples I really like Memento with Guy Pearce, Seven & Fargo (not sure Fargo actually qualifies, but I think it does).

Kinda off-topic, but closely related.....if you like Noir style fiction, check out James Ellroy's stuff.

Posts: 1718 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm fond of the genre, and like quite a few, but would have to say I have special affection for The Maltese Falcon and The Big Sleep. Certainly I've seen them the most often.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post