SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Post your favorite Film Noir
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Post your favorite Film Noir Login/Join 
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
D.O.A. with Edmond O'Brien.

I enjoyed the premise, and thought it was unique.

Big Sleep is also on my list.

Also Orson Welles A touch of Evil.
Fritz Lang's Scarlett Street.

Would Strangers on a Train qualify?

Posts: 5018 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I'm wondering whether Paths of Glory could sneak into the genre, it has almost all the requirements except a femme fatale, but isn't strictly speaking, a 'whodunnit', but more of a 'whydunnit'.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
I'm wondering whether Paths of Glory could sneak into the genre, it has almost all the requirements except a femme fatale, but isn't strictly speaking, a 'whodunnit', but more of a 'whydunnit'.
Well, if you want film noir from Kubrick, you have to look at his early films- Killer's Kiss and epecially The Killing, but with Paths of Glory, Stanley Kubrick became Stanley Kubrick the auteur, and just as with Hitchcock's Strangers on a Train, the unique syle of these auteurs trumps all. Strangers on a Train would be film noir if made by any other director at that time, but Strangers on a Train is not film noir- it's Hitchcock. That's the style of the film, and film noir is not a genre, it is a style- an overlay, an atmosphere.

I think you would be hard-pressed to find many film buffs who consider Paths of Glory to be film noir, for two reasons- first, it's a Kubrick film, and the style of Kubrick films is Kubrick, just as the style of all Hitchcock films is Hitchcock. Again- auteurs
Secondly, while Paths of Glory does fall within the time frame of American film noir and while the film does possess Borde and Chaumeton's "unusual and cruel atmosphere", Paths of Glory is obviously a war film, but more to the point, it's an anti-war film. The atmosphere of the film is not an overlay as you would find in other films noir, which take place in night clubs and living rooms. The "unusual and cruel" atmosphere is an unavoidable product of the utter madness of trench warfare and antiquated battle strategies combined with advanced war technologies, which resulted in the complete slaughter of millions of men.

To me, though, there are only two film genres which cannot be done in the film noir style- musicals and comedies, so, all of the above is not to say there are not war films done in the film noir style, but they are uncommon in that genre.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
That's good reasoning indeed, but to me it's still 'noirish' in style even if not actual part of the genre, although I do take your point about it being actually 'Kubrickesque' rather than Noir.

The camera work and lighting is just so enthralling, much like that in some of Widmark's and Cagney's early films.

Good chat, thanks.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid

Damn, you beat me to it!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Last night I watched The Big Sleep once again; I think I’m beginning to follow the plot Wink. Shugart brought up Elisha Cook Jr. in this tread, I also admire his work (thinking especially of his important role in Shane). I still feel like a sophomore, another year later, in para’s school of Film Noir. I can see that this movie is probably not among the best in Film Noir, but for me, it’s one of the most enjoyable (easiest?) to watch. Perhaps it’s Bogart and Bacall, perhaps it’s the dialogue between B&B, the detective story clever lines...I don’t know, I just like it. Hey, maybe it’s the ‘38 Plymouth business coupe that Bogart drives.

ETA: This Saturday afternoon (Nov. 9), TCM is again showing The Big Sleep. Ironically, in light of my comment about Elisha Cook Jr., Shane immediately follows. Please excuse the short deviation from topic, but Shane remains my favorite Western, and among my favorite movies of any genre. So many reasons.

Sonia Darrin who played Agnes Lozelle,Arthur Geiger's secretary might be the only remaining cast member still alive. She's 94 or 95 now.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watched "Detective Story" (1951) last night.

Lee Grant as the shoplifter was brilliant. Of course, we all know what happened to her career in the early '50's.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post