SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Post your favorite Film Noir
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Post your favorite Film Noir Login/Join 
And this, too,
shall pass away
Picture of Drifting Fate
posted Hide Post
Can't believe no one (pardon the double-negative) has mentioned "Bosch" as great modern noir.

Posts: 3679 | Location: AZ | Registered: June 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Gaslight.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Mask of Dimitrious: Sidney Greenstreet, Peter Lorre, Zachary Scott

Murder My Sweet: William Powell

Saboture: Bob Cumings

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Fate:
Can't believe no one (pardon the double-negative) has mentioned "Bosch" as great modern noir.

Just getting into this....started episode 1 yesterday, but yeah, I can see it!

Posts: 1718 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In no particular order:

The Big Sleep
Devil In A Blue Dress
Maltese Falcon

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Not well versed in the classics but I absolutely love LA Confidential.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw this one a few nights ago...

"Nightmare Alley" - 1947. Tyrone Power, Joan Blondell.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw the Killing the other night. Highly reccomend viewing. Timothy Carey as the guy that shoots the horse is incredible. His looks and demeanor are eccentric, borderline psychotic and just creepy. TCM has a clip on their site.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107261 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Out of the Past is right up there.

Edited to add: That's a great frame. It sort of epitomizes the whole Film Noir style, IMHO.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jim Shugart,

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946 version)

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Robert Mitchum is one of my favorite actors and 'The Night of the Hunter' is one of my favorite noir films.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mitchum is at his best as a bad guy. Max Cady in the original Cape Fear.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mitchum is at his best as a bad guy. Max Cady in the original Cape Fear.

I concur. It is funny to see him in nonconventional roles as well. Enjoyed those roles such as Thunder Road and Angel Face.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
!. The Killing

2. The Asphalt Jungle

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7629 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Payback with Mel Gibson.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That's not film noir.

The term Film Noir refers to a stylistic movement in films made from 1940 to 1959- if a film does not fall within this time range, its not film noir, no matter the style or subject matter of the film. End of story.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107261 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
That's not film noir.

The term Film Noir refers to a stylistic movement in films made from 1940 to 1959- if a film does not fall within this time range, its not film noir, no matter the style or subject matter of the film. End of story.

I think a lot of people confuse the term with genre, which is what I did until I read your explanation. Thank you for that.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
That's not film noir.

I did not know that.

Wondering, would Casablanca qualify, or is it a different style we are looking for?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Wondering, would Casablanca qualify, or is it a different style we are looking for?

Some argue yes. I say no, though I'd like to hear what the Skipper has to say. BTW, even though it is difficult to follow (and far from the best), my favorite film noir is The Big Sleep.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post