SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Showtime documentary on the Go-Gos
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Showtime documentary on the Go-Gos Login/Join 
posted
My wife and I saw this last night. Very interesting and well-directed special on the early 80s all-girl band the Go-Go's. I was a semi fan having grown up in that era, as was my wife. We enjoyed it. As I stated, well-directed with some truly excellent inter-cutting of band member's takes on issues about the sudden rise and equally fast fall. Sex, drugs, rock and roll, and egos. Worth a look if you have an interest.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Batty67,

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
wife and I watched it a week or so ago,

well done, but did leave out some details on the English trip and The Specials,

I'm a YUGE fan of The Specials, and a Go Go's fan as well,

was fortunate enough to see some of the show they opened for the Police (weather related lateness on my part, it was snowing hard and a long drive)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I'm still in love with Belinda Carlisle...

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
I set it up to record tonight. By the way it is a Show Time documentary not HBO.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:

Preach it! Saw the Go-Gos on Solid Gold when I was a kid and fell in love on the spot.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
quote:

Preach it! Saw the Go-Gos on Solid Gold when I was a kid and fell in love on the spot.

Thanks, I corrected the topic title.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent. I'll seek it out this week.

There's a musical called Head Over Heels that uses the music of the group to tell the tale. Our season subscription to the theatre randomly included tix to the premiere and my wife got a couple minutes with Jane Wiedlin while at the bar and in line for the restroom at intermission. As a child of the 80s she was pretty stoked and I was pretty jealous.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Loved me some Go-Go's back in the day!!

Thanks for sharing.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
quote:

She has had enough plastic surgery to rival Bruce Jenner.

Doc was good. I liked the band and the music. Funny that narcissism and $ busted it all up.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember the Go-Gos but was never a huge fan. Here's a great cover of "vacation."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANvYzTH8KvU

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
For information about early LA punk scene, including the Go-Gos, read Under the Big Black Sun editted by John Doe and Tom DeSavia. There are a couple of chapters by Go-Gos band members.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The movie does mention the early punk rock club The Masque and how the Go-Gos got started there against all odds.

The story of The Masque itself is quite a trip, and it has been well documented too.

If you like the band or have nostalgia for the era (1977-1984), then the movie is worth your time and trouble.

Posts: 775 | Registered: June 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post