SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Smells Like Teen Spirit
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smells Like Teen Spirit Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
Not that you need yet another reminder of the passing of time; if you were born in the spring of the year Cobain killed himself, you’re 26 years old now. Does that make Grunge “classic rock?”

Thanks to Rick Beato who reminds us how revolutionary this song was, how great it remains.

BTW, Cobain was also 27 years old.

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
A great and predictive song, if not uplifting.
About the time I stopped paying attention to what passed for popular music.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8329 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
every time I see something posted about Nirvana and cobain, my first thought is PiL's Seattle,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
I was so happy when Nirvana and grunge came out. It was a refreshing change from all the bubblegum pop crap and rap that was polluting the radio at the time. Feels like music has almost come full circle with the crap on the radio today.

The music industry is ripe for another Nirvana/grunge type event....

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
I always think of Weird Al's version.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Throughout the 1980s, my music preference was college rock (REM, Husker Du, The Replacements, X, Young Fresh Fellows, XTC, etc) and when Bleach from Nirvana played on college radio, I was not interested. But when they started to play Nevermind early on, I paid attention, bought the album and played it for awhile. By the time Teen Spirit got on MTV, I was pleased college rock (now "alternative rock") became popular, knocking guys like Michael Jackson off the top of the mountain, but eventually I lost interest in the band. To this day, I always thought On A Plain and Breed were better songs than Teen Spirit. I haven't listened to the record in years, the band just didn't hold me over time. But I still occasionally listen to the other bands I have mentioned.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16677 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I sadly didn' get into Nirvana until Kurt's death and after... Grunge too.

But, it was pretty much the soundtrack to my highschool.

IMO, that isn't even close to their best song.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
When I think of that era. Soundgarden always pops in my mind. Chris Cornell had an amazing voice.

Dang youtube button won't let me share. So linky:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuUDRU9-HRk

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I understand the contribution to the music world, but it never did anything for me.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
When I think of that era. Soundgarden always pops in my mind. Chris Cornell had an amazing voice.

yes he did,

Richie Kotzen sounds a bit like him

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The 1992 cover by Tori Amos is a really good one too.

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
IMO, that isn't even close to their best song

Agreed. I also agree that Chris Cornell was one of the best...ever

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nirvana took the lead of the celebrity/main streaming of the garage band sound, Pearl Jam probably was the most accessible for media. I enjoyed Alice in Chains and Soundgarden more so but, all were good.

Posts: 14636 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks to Rick Beato who reminds us how revolutionary this song was, how great it remains.

Yes, he is a (not so?) hidden gem on youtube.

Here's the link to the What Makes This Sound Great episode of Smells like Teen Spirit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1ZnWc-sFd0

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
I understand the contribution to the music world, but it never did anything for me.

I guess I'm simply too old as the grunge stuff simply never resonated. That said I too understand a different generation embraced it. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
quote:

Yes, he is a (not so?) hidden gem on youtube.

Here's the link to the What Makes This Sound Great episode of Smells like Teen Spirit

Great idea to link Beato's VLOG, Zip; I should've done that.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:

I was never a Nirvana fan and honestly didn't appreciate Soundgarden and Alice in Chains as early on as I should.

for my money, in his prime(I think Temple of the Dog), Chris Cornell had my favorite metal voice ever...incredible.

Posts: 722 | Location: Maine | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:

I guess I'm simply too old as the grunge stuff simply never resonated. That said I too understand a different generation embraced it. Smile

I was exactly the right age when they were popular. Listened to a little Pearl Jam, but even that interest faded quickly. I liked older rock better (60's, 70's, some 80's).

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
Never cared for it myself. But to each his own I guess.

Posts: 2162 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
And the absolutely brilliant companion:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FklUAoZ6KxY

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post