SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Post your favorite version of our national anthem
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Post your favorite version of our national anthem Login/Join 
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted
Leading up to Independence Day, let's see some renditions of the national anthem.

I enjoyed this one:

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I don’t know if it’s the best I’ve ever heard, but it’s sure the first version that came to mind.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
My favorite version is Whitney Houston’s Super Bowl performance of the national anthem after we entered Operation Desert Storm. It was a very patriotic time in our country and an excellent performance with a little personal flair but one that stayed very true to the original. Definitely my favorite.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Although they are not in current favor today (and have, in fact, changed their name under pressure of the current climate), the Dixie Chicks nailed it in 2003 for the Super Bowl.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

With the correct tempo, and without vocal embellishments:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ETrr-XHBjE

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Jack Black singing before a WNBA game:
https://youtu.be/d9l4LMZeNm0

Madison Rising:
https://youtu.be/c8C7i9kdEf8

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMHO, the service choirs do the Anthem up right. They also do a kick ass Battle Hymn of the Republic.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
The aforementioned Whitney version. It's pretty much perfect. The orchestral arrangement is wonderful and her pitch is just amazing in that setting. Too bad the jets were a few seconds late.

Runner up for me would be Faith Hill for many of the same reasons.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?...QII&feature=youtu.be

Marlana VanHoose VanHoose was born on June 25, 1995, VanHoose was born with Cytomegalovirus (CMV) which hindered the development of her optic nerve, rendering her blind at birth and a diagnosis that she would not live past one year of age. After her first year her parents were told that the virus was in remission. At the age of two, VanHoose was diagnosed with a mild case of cerebral palsy.[1]

Posts: 23243 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I don't know who he was but the guy who sang it years ago before the Cub's game was about my favorite.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1856 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Rene Rancourt sang it for decades before Boston Bruins games. Loved it when they played a Canadian team so you got both anthems.

As for the best rendition, I was in the crowd at the old Boston Garden the night after we started the bombing in Gulf War I. Rene pulled out all the stops and the place went completely nuts

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for being
genuinely stupid
posted Hide Post
I can't post videos,but Marvin Gaye was the first to change the way it done at the NBA All Star Game.

Posts: 340 | Location: Derby City KY. | Registered: April 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Donna Summer

does a very good job

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
No Rap, No Hip Hop, no band, just The National Anthem by 4 guys that loved the country:

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
I don't know who he was but the guy who sang it years ago before the Cub's game was about my favorite.

You're referring to Wayne Messmer. Did the Anthem at Chicago Blackhawks games until he got crossways with then-owner Bill Wirtz in the mid-1990s.

When Wayne sang The Star-Spangled Banner at Chicago Stadium accompanied by the huge Barton organ, the building literally shook.

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post