SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Magnum P.I. REBOOT *airs tonight 9-24-18*
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magnum P.I. REBOOT *airs tonight 9-24-18* Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I get that while Hollywood involves the artistry and creativity in making movies it is also, above all else, a business. Fine, great..they realize that SOME of these old shows were iconic, brought in ratings and therefore revenue, and as they've run out of anything approaching a fresh idea it is simply faster, easier, and cheaper, to try and reboot some of the old shows to generate revenue and buzz, and hopefully a few bucks...

...but what Hollywood seems not to appreciate is that SOME of these shows meant something to those of us who grew up with them. In some cases these old shows really shaped some of us in our younger years and who we grew up to be.

I think what bothers me most about this Magnum P.I. reboot is that the original show, with the original actors and characters, and the original themes, had a true impact on me, and I believe others like me, but I don't think Hollywood understands the essence of what made shows like Magnum P.I. so relevant.

Yes...I realize that Magnum P.I. wasn't Oscar worthy acting or story telling...yes, by today's standards, you can see the "cheese" in some of the '80s themes and dress and music...but there was a lot of good in those old shows, a lot for a boy to role model himself after.

For the most part I don't think Hollywood reboots today capture the essence of what made those old shows such an iconic part of our youth.

My guess is that CBS will milk a couple seasons out of the Magnum P.I. reboot using CGI high tech gizmos (I'm still trying to get my head around the thought of Thomas Magnum actually using a Smart Phone), mega doses of over-the-top drama, and Magnum will use his military experience to combat right wing extremists funded by wealthy corporations promoting global warming and they will probably PC the show right into cancellation...but not before Magnum works a case with Gibbs and the NCIS crew...

...all while missing the mark on what made the original so powerful. I seriously doubt that a single boy from today's generation will find a role model, even a tiny fraction of virture, in the Magnum P.I. reboot...but I hope I'm wrong.

Fingers crossed that Hollywood treats this reboot with the respect it deserves.

When can we expect a reboot of All in the Family and Archie Bunker?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
Magnum P.U.

Already taken by Mad Magazine back in the eighties. Although I think theirs was titled 'Magnumb P.U.'

... I felt compelled; unlike hollyweird.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Just...No.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
no other cast announced,

wondering what other changes will be made?

Robin Masters
Higgins
TC
Rick,
etc etc

probably won't have hounds on the estate either,,, likely cats,,

...sigh...

Early reports say that the show will feature a "disavowed former MI6 agent named Juliet Higgins"

I'n not kidding.

kinda figured that,

maybe Jenny Agutter, she played a MI^ agent in MI 5 ,(and did a good job in the role,

meanwhile, wonder if TC and Rick will be a gay couple?

And a bi-racial one at that! LOL

well that would check 2 boxes off the PC list!!

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
Higgins will be a woman, I gaurentee it. That way they can play the sexual tension.

Drivel.....

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ragnar
posted Hide Post
Hollywood....Have you no shame?

Live every day as if it is your last, for one day you’re sure to be right

Posts: 752 | Location: Historic Southpark, Dayton Ohio | Registered: October 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
One of the things I liked about the original Magnum was that it was one of the first if not the first show to have returning Vietnam vets as the main characters. That was a war that many Americans did not want to think about

If this Magnum reboot is anything like the Hawaii 50 reboot, it won't be worth watching.

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Meet “Higgins”.

http://deadline.com/2018/03/ma...gins-1202308349/amp/

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades;
Master of None
Picture of Tomkat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
I get that while Hollywood involves the artistry and creativity in making movies it is also, above all else, a business. Fine, great..they realize that SOME of these old shows were iconic, brought in ratings and therefore revenue, and as they've run out of anything approaching a fresh idea it is simply faster, easier, and cheaper, to try and reboot some of the old shows to generate revenue and buzz, and hopefully a few bucks...

...but what Hollywood seems not to appreciate is that SOME of these shows meant something to those of us who grew up with them. In some cases these old shows really shaped some of us in our younger years and who we grew up to be.

I think what bothers me most about this Magnum P.I. reboot is that the original show, with the original actors and characters, and the original themes, had a true impact on me, and I believe others like me, but I don't think Hollywood understands the essence of what made shows like Magnum P.I. so relevant.

Yes...I realize that Magnum P.I. wasn't Oscar worthy acting or story telling...yes, by today's standards, you can see the "cheese" in some of the '80s themes and dress and music...but there was a lot of good in those old shows, a lot for a boy to role model himself after.

For the most part I don't think Hollywood reboots today capture the essence of what made those old shows such an iconic part of our youth.

My guess is that CBS will milk a couple seasons out of the Magnum P.I. reboot using CGI high tech gizmos (I'm still trying to get my head around the thought of Thomas Magnum actually using a Smart Phone), mega doses of over-the-top drama, and Magnum will use his military experience to combat right wing extremists funded by wealthy corporations promoting global warming and they will probably PC the show right into cancellation...but not before Magnum works a case with Gibbs and the NCIS crew...

...all while missing the mark on what made the original so powerful. I seriously doubt that a single boy from today's generation will find a role model, even a tiny fraction of virture, in the Magnum P.I. reboot...but I hope I'm wrong.

Fingers crossed that Hollywood treats this reboot with the respect it deserves.

When can we expect a reboot of All in the Family and Archie Bunker?

I don't normally quote entire lengthy posts; but, I figured I needed to in order to post: Do you think in the new version they would ever let Magnum kill Ivan?

Posts: 3518 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tomkat:
I don't normally quote entire lengthy posts; but, I figured I needed to in order to post: Do you think in the new version they would ever let Magnum kill Ivan?

That very episode was one of several that came to my mind when I started thinking about what this reboot might look like...NO, not for a moment do I think an episode like the one in which Magnum took out Ivan would ever air in the reboot...and if it did I don't think the writers/directors could capture the powerful theme behind that act.

In all fairness though, the original Magnum episodes dealt with several powerful themes that I don't think will resonate in a PC reboot.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drew3630:
One of the things I liked about the original Magnum was that it was one of the first if not the first show to have returning Vietnam vets as the main characters. That was a war that many Americans did not want to think about

...and they were fairly normal. Sure they had their flashbacks and were troubled by their memories, but they were not the unbalanced and PTSD stricken vets portrayed in say, The Deer Hunter

quote:
Meet “Higgins”.

http://deadline.com/2018/03/ma...gins-1202308349/amp/

Sister of Honeysuckle Weeks from Foyle's war

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
Well I can pretty much guarantee that TC won't be calling Higgins Higgy Baby

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why does this reboot have to be a Navy SEAL ? Why can't he just be a regular Naval officer like the original Magnum ? Ohhh yeah that's right having a title of Navy SEAL sells........stupid Hollywood can't think of anything original anymore. That is why I do not have a TV nor watch it. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3053 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The original Thomas Magnum actually was a former Navy SEAL, they just didn't emphasize it (it was a little before it was really uber-cool to be a SEAL). It is confusing as he sort of had a double-life in the Navy, one as an officer and the other as an operator.

"Magnum was a Vietnam War veteran and a former POW who believed his wife Michelle died in bombing during the final pull-out from Saigon. He served in both the SEALs and Naval Intelligence during his Navy years, and as such maintained many contacts in both "communities."

Thomas Magnum

(It's a little off-history as to date no SEAL has ever been taken prisoner.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I’ve held off commenting in this thread, but modern day savage compels mg response because I am another middle aged man upon which Magnum had a tremendous impact.

I grew up in Hawaii during the Magnum years.

I am in a few episodes as an extra because if they put a casting call for extras for a crowd, my mom would take my sister and I down...I’m apparently a spectator to a car accident....and I am in “little saigon” when Magnum gets shot at the end of Memories are Forver....I’ve never seen myself. I do distinctly remember Tom Selleck running past me

I also met the crew because they were very active in the island, particularly charities and little league. I was a good baseball player, and Selleck and Moseley were particularly active. Great guys.

I share all of this because what modern day savage said is absolutely true....this show had an enormous impact on me. In later seasons my father was dying from brain cancer, and Magnum was something that a young kid like me could still share with my dad

I have zero confidence that this remake will have remotely the gravitas that Magnum had. It had an enormous impact on the post Vietnam generation, particularly vets like my Dad

I’ll probably watch for the same reason I watched Hawaii 5.0 remake when it came out..l.its neat to see places where I grew up and how much has changed and how much has stayed the same. It’s not like I can drop in on Oahu from Virginia regularly, so it’s a good way to see what was home for so many years

But I have little faith this show will be good

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonEuc
posted Hide Post
Instead of a Ferrari, I bet he either drives a Prius or perhaps just an iPhone and calls an Uber...

Posts: 1305 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
I just threw up in my mouth...

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Holy fucking shit is this going to SUCK. They did not even bother to try...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Nothing is sacred

Why is nothing sacred?

I, admittedly, was young when I met Jonathan Hillerman, but I have to say he is MUCH hotter than I remember

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post