SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Has there been a Red Dead Redemption 2 thread? It is a masterpiece.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has there been a Red Dead Redemption 2 thread? It is a masterpiece. Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
So I have been working my way slowly through RDR2 and it is nothing short of a masterpiece. The immersiveness is breathtaking. You really don’t feel like the center of the world just part of it and that is radically different then any other game I have played.

The detail reaches obsessive compulsive levels. The scenery is amazing. The music the art styles everything is epic.

Having to cock a single action or work a lever or a bolt for each shot is kinda awesome. Making the horses characters in their own rights is awesome. My steed is just some run of the mill horse I bonded with early on but dammit Ruger is MY horse.

Jesus just spending the time to grow the most incredible mutton chops was amazing and makes Arthur my own character. I don’t mean clicking on the mutton chop option, I mean growing those glorious sonsabitches.

It’s got a little Clint Eastwood, a little Wild Bunch, a little Butch and Sundance and a ton of heart. I give a damn about NPCs.

The controls can be a bit of a learning chore, and it’s not perfect but it’s damn near the best game I have ever played and certainly better than a great majority of movies.

It’s worth a try if you played RDR or like westerns in general. Don’t let the Rockstar pedigree make you think this is GTA on horseback, it is not. It is a worthy successor to RDR and one hell of an experience.

My two cents.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7674 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
there was a brief thread, but it didn't get much traffic.

i love the game. absolutely loved it. i'm in about 130 hours now, through the main quest. 84% on the whole game. I saw tonight that the online launched their BETA, so I'm in the online now.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I am only at chapter 5 so no spoilers.

The side quest with finding the Circus animals was AWESOME. When I came across the Zebra it was a gray big storm and even at a distance I was like.....”That doesn’t look like a Zebra...”. Wink.

Posts: 7674 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I’m the type that can’t play two games at once, so I’m working my way through fallout 76....the benefit will be I might get red dead for a reduced price when I’m done with 76...

I loved the original. Can’t wait to play this...hearing these reviews has me even more excited

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Brilliant game. Easily the best of the year and maybe this console generation.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking this will be the game that forces me to upgrade to a xbox one. The original is why I bought a 360.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2734 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It's not my style of game, though I played v1 a bunch, but a close friend is way into it and I've checked it out. It's definitely impressive in a bunch of ways.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s straight up the best game this year, almost makes up for black ops 4 and fallout 76 disappointments. This was one game that is well worth the 60 bucks

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s straight up the best game this year, almost makes up for black ops 4 and fallout 76 disappointments. This was one game that is well worth the 60 bucks. Oh I also found a way to murder somebody and only getting a bounty for assault. I was on a side quest to help a couple escaped prisoners by collecting all of the wanted posters in town and a bounty hunter snatched one up from me and wouldn’t give it up, so I got on my horse and grabbed him with my lasso and dragged him to death. All I got was a $5 bounty for assault

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have been playing as white hat as possible. Just a fantastic experience.

I have however saved a game and done some assholeary. Smile
Fed a dude to a gator
Hung a guy off bridge
Tied a guy to train tracks

Just the basics Smile

posted Hide Post
I tried putting a lady that I rescued from the paddy wagon on the train tracks but the train never came. I need to try it again. Being a dick in this game makes it much more fun

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Yeah I started one a few weeks ago https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/7070085944

It is an amazing game. I love the story mode and even though I’ve played everyday I’m still only in chapter 4 and I just got there Thursday night. I played the online beta last night and it’s definitely beta but seems like it’s going To be equally as great as the story.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I know what I like
I like what I know
Picture of Mark in Michigan
posted Hide Post
This thread is very interesting to me, thank you for your insights. We gave our girls an Xbox One X as an early Christmas present and I was seeing the write-ups on RDR2 on the Gamestop website.

Keep em coming

Best regards,
Mark in Michigan

Posts: 501 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: December 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gonna Try it soon and probably will be asking some questions.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gonna Try it soon and probably will be asking some questions.

For anybody looking to play this game here are a couple of tips/observations/cautions etc. before you shell out $60 bucks, which to me this game is well worth.

I am on Chapter 6 so what I believe is the last chapter of the main game. I believe there are a couple of epilogues similar to Read Dead Redemption 1 as well but I am not sure. Suffice to say I am far enough in the game and have done a ton of side missions etc. to give some insight.

-You do not NEED to have played RDR1 to enjoy this game. It does however help greatly to at least know the story as many characters and story elements from the first game get their start in this game and it adds to this one to understand and pick up on these. It gives a sense of history and realism IMO.

-This is NOT Grand Theft Auto on horseback. Yes you can play as mean of an outlaw as you want, steal horses, jump to wagons, kidnap and maim as you want but the reality is none of those things feel like GTA. They feel more deliberate, less cartoon like and much more weighty with real consequences.

-Movement in the game is also very deliberate and slow. This takes some getting used to and might annoy the hell out of some players. It takes some time to get use to all the slow animations, deliberate use of weapons, looting, skinning etc.

-The game is really a sweeping Cowboy epic story and should be played/viewed that way. Some of the story missions are fairly forgiving and easy but that is part of letting you experience the story how it needs to be told while letting you play your part in it. Drink in the dialog, the voice acting, the music and art design etc. This really is more then just a game or bullet fest.

-Your honor absolutely has pretty marked effects on your game. People will remember your deeds, prices at shops will be higher or lower, what you loot will be different based on your play style etc. I started off going the bad ass outlaw route but that's not really me so for most of the game I have played as white hat of an "Outlaw" as possible and I feel it has been a rewarding experience.

-Take the time to do the stupid shit. Cook food, grow your hair/facial hair, pet a dog, clean your guns, buy and craft different outfits, change outfits etc. etc. etc. Yes these things really slow the game down and yes to many folks it may be tedium but if you are the kind of person who likes the role playing element all this adds so much to the game. Hell I got a hotel room and a bath and a shave just because my Authur just got stuck in a wicked storm after a crappy mission and I just figured he needed it. My Authur looks NOTHING like any of the youtube videos or other pictures I have seen, mostly because I grew out the most magnificent mutton chops this side of wolverine and that is cool. All I am saying is if you are looking for pure run and gun this not your game. If you are looking to LIVE in a different place for a time, this is the game.

-Buy and use different types of ammo. Slug vs. Buck makes a difference. Express vs. high velocity makes a difference etc.

-Use cinematic mode when traveling long distances on your horse. This lets you put the controller down and drink in the scenery.

-Explore the world there is a lot of stuff in it.

-If you do happen to bumble your controls and accidentally push somebody in town or whatever, just wait for the cop to show up(assuming you don't want to shoot it out and get a bounty) and chances are it will just be a move along kind of thing. Early on the controls were a bitch and I kept running into somebody, starting an incident and not realizing I could talk my way out it would quickly be full blown Wild Bunch.

-NOTE the greet button is the same as the murder button....confusion and hilarity will ensue.

-Much like real life, within the effective range 12 gauge is KING!!. Yeah, yeah you are mister gunslinger and pulling two pistols out and going all dead eye is fun but nothing beats a 12 gauge.

-When brushing your horse do it a few times. I didn't realize one brush didn't completely clean your horse early on.

At any rate the game is truly a masterpiece but you have to be the kind of person who enjoys this type of game and you have to realize that everything in the game makes for a slower pace and strives to make you lose yourself in the world and make you feel as if your character is simply part of and not the center of it. Some folks will HATE this game for these reasons, others like myself will see it as one of the most unique entertainment experiences I have had possibly ever.

Ultimately the game to me is about the end of era's and the folks who get left behind and frankly I think we are all on the cusp of very thing happening today so there are notes in the game that play personally to me and might to you as well.

So I guess I will end with a hearty "HEY PARTNER!" Big Grin

P.S. TOTALLY KIDNAP SOME POOR BASTARD AND FEED HIM TO AN ALLIGATOR. IT JUST HAS TO BE DONE. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
If you are going to totally white hat it there is a story mission where someone ends up in a gator. Ive been a pretty good guy past what it forces you into and yes I have gone to greet someone and fed them a shotgun accidentally.

I do like how the weapons are pretty realistic, you actually have to pause to work a bolt though I do wish it was automatic after a shot. No silencers or oooh checkout this developmental auto rifle that everyone has. Just, for the most part, straight up gunplay. I went back to a town where I shot a bunch of people and they actually chased me down instead of the game just ignoring my obvious return to a place.

I'm curious to see how their online portion will work.

Posts: 3043 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The "Deluxe Bath" sounds nice.

Posts: 4657 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Hell I got a hotel room and a bath and a shave just because my Authur just got stuck in a wicked storm after a crappy mission and I just figured he needed it.

I spent a whole weekend in the big city. Got myself some dandy looking clothes and a shae and a haircut and a bath and a room. I ate some prime rib and played poker for a while then I caught a couple shows at the theaters. Had my picture taken walked the city then in the morning I hit the stores and stocked up on supplies, robbed a backroom business and rode off on a hunting trip.

The game is truly amazing.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I spent Friday night and last night in the online mode and so far it reminds me a lot of GTA 5. There are still plenty of griefers out there and with the limited stuff to do they seem to be camping the area where you respawn after the missions. Last night we ran into a posse of about 10 guys, all way higher level and with better guns who immediately started killing us before as soon as we respawned after one of the missions.

One thing I don't like about that, and I hated in GTA 5 too, was that when killed by another player it respawns you pretty close to where you died. So in the case we had yesterday we could not get away. And since it still randomizes the spawn point a little you get separated from your team and can no longer fight back as a group.

Basically for a couple minutes we just kept getting spawn killed until we could finally get our horses and get out of there. Then after the next mission we ran into a few guys who stole our horses. Apparently the horses spawn into the world before the players do because as soon as I was able to see a guy rode by with my horse. They took the horses don the road a bit then shot them. I fixed that problem by changing my horse access settings so not only friends can get on my horse. But again it was a dick move and the mechanics of the game provide don't allow us to do anything about it.

I know they have a parlay system in and I used it the first night but the problem is that in a large enough group it does not matter and the guy you parlayed with can still make contact with you and while not causing any damage it is kind of hard to shoot his buddy if he is riding you down with his horse over and over.

Still though I like it and the gunplay is fun. I only have a cattleman and the repeater still but I won enough straight-up fights to know it is pretty decently balanced. Guns matter of course so you'll want to get working on getting better guns ASAP. Though the economy is so screwed up ASAP actually means probably 20 hours or more of gameplay. I am getting no more than 7 or 8 bucks for a mission and looting a body gets me 10 cents or so while the pump shotgun in the game costs more than I can buy a real one for now in real life. The prices are insane, especially for what money we are getting for activities. The economy is probably the biggest complaint I have read about online and for damn good reason. It is ridiculous. Even adding rifling to your revolver is 60 bucks. Clearly the gold bars are going to be something you can buy with real money so they probably priced stuff so high to make people spend real money but I think they went way overboard with it. Especially seeing as there is no real way to make money now.

If you do play make sure to go pick up the free items at the shops. There is a free horse and saddle at the stables, a free double action revolver at the gunsmith and a free outfit at the general store. Some of those might be tied to activities in GTA 5 but I don't know.

ETA: One thing that is way better than GTA is moving around with your posse. In GTA you all jumped in cars or helicopters or planes and drove to the destination as fast as you could and usually split up. RDR2 you ride along with your posse and it is simply bad ass.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pale Horse,

Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
I did not enjoy the game. Way too slow for my taste. I bought it based off reviews and regret the purchase, especially since i went the digital route and now cant trade It. I respect that its a well built game, just not my speed.

*Handguns are fine, Shotguns are final

Posts: 1236 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post