SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Help Me Choose My Next (WWII History) Book
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help Me Choose My Next (WWII History) Book Login/Join 
Eschew Obfuscation
posted
OK guys, I'm looking for your input on my next book because I'm having trouble making up my mind.

I had thought I'd decided on James Hornfischer's "Neptune's Inferno", but then I was looking at one of his other books "The Fleet at Flood Tide" and it looks pretty good too.

Then, I made the mistake of starting to browse. Last year I read Antony Beevor's "Stalingrad" and it was excellent. So, I was browsing his other books and saw "The Fall of Berlin". That looks good, as well as ...

Now, I completely undecided. Confused Any thoughts on those mentioned above? Or, something else?

Happy New Year. Smile

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
Target Switzerland, by Stephen Halbrook.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1975 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Neptune's Inferno is exceptional and arguably Hornfincher's best work.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Deadly Crossroads by Danny Parker.

“I'm fat because everytime I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

Posts: 545 | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
Shattered Sword by Parshall and Tully. About Midway from the Japanese view.

The First Team, US Naval aviation from Pearl Harbor to Midway by John Lundstrom

Incredible Victory by John Lord. About the Battle of Midway but very story like. Not as well researched as first two but has a lot of first person perspectives some of which has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Posts: 816 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
A Man Called Intrepid by William Stevenson.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
John Toland's "The Decline and Fall of the Japanese Empire" 1936-1945 is an excellent read.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Two stand out to me.

Growing up, we lived near the author, William Shirer. My parents had a copy of this rather large book with a big swastika on book shelf that he gave them. I didn't read it until a few decades later when I bought my own copy.
It's long, but doesn't seem long when you read it, as it covers a lot of ground. He was a reporter for CBS News (radio back then) in Europe as Hitler came to power and covered developments in real time. He traveled relatively freely and met and spoke to many at the time. He was actually outside the railroad car that Hitler made the French bring out to surrender to him and describes the events.
Those Germans were into keeping records so he also had access to all sorts of notes and documents after the war. He fled just before they would have arrested him and the war was getting started.
You feel like you are in the room listening to the conversations and decisions being made, as the Nazis came to power and started overpowering and double crossing their neighbors.
To us that didn't live then the question is, how could this happen? This explains how like you were there. Look at the Amazon page below and scroll down to the reviews from people that have read this and you'll get a better idea of what others think of this book.

https://www.amazon.com/Rise-Fa...istory/dp/1451651686

Another stand out is With The Old Breed by Eugene Sledge. This book's story and character is part of The Pacific mini-series. Rated by many as the best ever personal account of what real combat was like (brutal and horrifying) in the Pacific.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000...encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
"Crusades In Europe" by Dwight D. Eisenhower.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Shirer’s The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I second A Man Called Intrepid. One of my favorite WWII books. Also Thunder Below by Admiral Eugene B. Fluckey.

Posts: 1215 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2538 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
A Glorious Way to Die!

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Herman Wouk's "Cain Mutiny", "Winds of War" and "War and Remembrance" are very good novels based on WWII. A lot of research went into them for accuracy. Well worth the time to read.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me too please. Anthony Beevor's Fall of Berlin is excellent. I'm fascinated by the maelstrom of chaos and tragedy of the collapse of Berlin.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
The Last Hero: William B. Donovan by Anthony Cave Brown author of Bodyguard of Lies

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
The Last Hero: William B. Donovan by Anthony Cave Brown author of Bodyguard of Lies

I know the author of the other major biography of "Wild Bill" Donovan.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Fleet at Flood Tide is excellent, as is Tregaskis' Guadalcanal Diary. Toland's Rising Sun is very good.

The best I have read recently is Shattered Sword by Parschall and Tully about Midway. I learned so much...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Since you have already read some Hornfischer, you may want to give The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors a whirl.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
Since you have already read some Hornfischer, you may want to give The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors a whirl.

As an old sailer, I really enjoyed reading of the courage of these Navy brothers.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post