SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Papillon - They're Remaking It (2017)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Papillon - They're Remaking It (2017) Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted
Wow. I thought the original was interesting (albeit depressing) curious how this goes. Seems to have some good actors in it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5093026/

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
wasn't the original good enough?

Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman...they were pretty good as I recall...

who they gonna get - Ben Stiller and Steve Carrel?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Blasphemy

Tommy Flanagan? He's married to Morgan Fairchild, isn't he?

Posts: 107256 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
Sad. I recognize one actor. Hollywierd just cant be.original.
There are a lot of movies that should be remade and this isn't one of them.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3858 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
wasn't the original good enough?

Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman...they were pretty good as I recall...

who they gonna get - Ben Stiller and Steve Carrel?

It was much more than good enough. It was a very good movie. And Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman were superb. What a joke. Or, as Para said, blasphemy.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
The book is worth reading.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Blasphemy

^^^^This!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
THIS Tommy Flanagan?!

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
I guess it all depends on how its done. I remember when the True Grit remake came out I about lost it. Turns out is was very well done, and a pleasure to watch. Didnt diminish the first one at all for me. Ill keep an open mind about it, but yes Hollyweird has nothing original left to offer.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3440 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
The studio's "plan" emanates from the same place as the prisoners in the story.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
The movie was good, the book was better.

Posts: 1779 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
great car crashes and laser , just what that movie needs

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Morgan:
Sad. I recognize one actor.

I instantly recognize some of 'em, and I don't watch a ton of TV & movies. That doesn't mean it will be any good, of course, but they're not a bunch of no-names.

Tommy Flanagan was in Gladiator, Braveheart, Sons of Anarchy.

Charlie Hunnam was the star of SoA and has a few movies to his credit, including two in the last year, I think. Hopefully he'll be good in this role. I think he's got a lot of potential.

Rami Malek has a lot of credits to his name. Many here will recall his memorable role in The Pacific as PFC Merriell 'Snafu' Shelton.

Ian Beattie was Meryn Trant in Game of Thrones...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rusbro,

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With all of the good books and stories out there that would make a great movie why spend money on a remake of a classic that can only fall far short of the original?

On top of that who are they going to find as an equal to McQueen and Hoffman?

Oh, wait, this is the same Hollywood that thinks making a cartoons into a movie is the definition of originality.

Posts: 659 | Registered: June 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
KaKa Just plain KaKa. A waste of celluloid.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
"I really can't remember; why their making a remake of this? I had-it, but lost it!"

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 758 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
THIS Tommy Flanagan?!

YEA.. that's the ticket

SIGmond the Sea Monster
(apologies to Sid and Marty Krofft)

Posts: 2300 | Location: Washington (The state, not D.C.) | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I re-watched the original McQueen/Hoffman "Papillon" on Friday night, then tried to watch the remake on Saturday. Made it 20 minutes before quitting.

None of the actors in the remake had anything approaching the presence or ability of any of the main or secondary actors in the original. Watching McQueen and Hoffman I didn't feel as if I was watching actors playing a role. Same with Zerbe and other supporting cast members. In the remake it felt as if there was too much acting by everyone involved, but especially the two mains. It was as if the director and producer felt that subtlety was something to be avoided at all costs.

The filming in the remake is typical of today's movies - quick shots when longer would have made more of the story and some shaky cam. Maybe it got better later but, for me, the movie had already lost too much ground against the original in that short span to be able to make it up in the remaining time.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
How can one "remake" a great movie? No, i'll pass. I just don't care for the 'remake's'

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1369 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Blasphemy

Tommy Flanagan? He's married to Morgan Fairchild, isn't he?

Whom he's seen naked!!

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post