SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Shetland, a BBC Scotland cop drama
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shetland, a BBC Scotland cop drama Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
If you have Netflix and enjoy really good British cop dramas, check out Shetland by BBC Scotland.

It stars Douglas Henshall. Henshall won the British Academy of Film and Television Arts best television actor award in 2016 for his work in the series and the show won the best television drama.

Basic story is he's from Fair Isle, the most remote island in the UK. Population, about 70 people, 22,929,234 sheep.

After the death of his wife he takes a posting in the Shetlands with the Scottish National Police.

In the course of the series so far, they've about depopulated several smaller islands in the Shetlands. Its all murder and mayhem.

There is one jarring thing about the series, and Game of Thrones. The Scottish actor James Cosmo is my father's identical twin. Not that they are related as far as I know, but my patronymic was MacLaurin before King George II tried my ancestor for treason for fighting on the side of the Jacobites at Culloden. He was transported to America and started over.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31427 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I just wrapped up watching it this evening. Now I'm on to Hinterlands. If nothing else, the scenery is awesome.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Preferred Shetland but Hinterland is good, too.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Geez.....Hinterlands is pretty grim. LOL

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
North Wales lovely but bleak.It's where the SAS and your Special Forces go to train.

Also Series 1 of Shetland they talk about 'The Shetland Bus'...David Howarth wrote a book about his time on 'The Shetland Bus'. Those sailors were brave Bar Stewards.

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Posts: 2257 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Well, I was referring to the mood of the show. Everyone (except maybe that bespectacled detective) seems to be one bad day from opening their wrists. LOL

Amongst my many retirement ideas, one is to simply wander. Shetland and Hinterlands have added some places to the list. As much as I abhor cold, I can certainly deal with it long enough to visit. LOL

is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I'll watch everything I can find in this vein. I enjoyed Hinterland (yes, it's bleak) & have watched the first two episodes of Shetland, thanks to the thread here.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started hinterland but didn't continue. I am on "the tunnel" now and really enjoying it.

Other good ones I think discussed here are "river", "Marcella", and "paranoid". Also enjoyed "spotless" and "the Kettering Incident". Slow but it's Tasmania all right for the people and isolation. Spent a month in Tas in 2004.

Posts: 1752 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out "Happy Valley" - it does take a while to understand, but I found it interesting.

Once you hear the "man down" beep on their radios, you'll never forget it.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Augen:
I am on "the tunnel" now and really enjoying it.

The conclusion is a wild ride. Clémence Poésy is hot in a quirky kind of way. Cool

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:

I'll try Shetland next. I also tried Hinterlands but only the first episode - it really is dark. I really liked the Jack Taylor series and the BBC version of Wallander. I thought they were all well done.

I may look into getting rid of cable tv. There's very little I watch on "regular" tv.

Posts: 1442 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scot818:
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:

I'll try Shetland next. I also tried Hinterlands but only the first episode - it really is dark. I really liked the Jack Taylor series and the BBC version of Wallander. I thought they were all well done.

I may look into getting rid of cable tv. There's very little I watch on "regular" tv.

wallander was very well done, I missed most of the last season (all of maybe 3 episodes, but long episodes by UK standards)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I both love Shetland and watched on PBS and now Netflix. I enjoyed the Tunnel my wife not so much.

Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies.

Gene Hill

Posts: 626 | Registered: July 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished watching season 4 of Shetland on Amazon Prime. My wife and I really enjoyed the series.

Posts: 99 | Location: Bremerton, WA | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
SEASON 5 is out!!!

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Posts: 2257 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Day_late:
Just finished watching season 4 of Shetland on Amazon Prime. My wife and I really enjoyed the series.

How did you watch S4 without adding Britbox to your Prime membership? The previous 3 seasons were included with Prime but that's changed.

Just curious.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
quote:
Originally posted by Day_late:

How did you watch S4 without adding Britbox to your Prime membership? The previous 3 seasons were included with Prime but that's changed.

Just curious.

Never saw the first three seasons on Prime - we watched them on Netflix. I think we added Britbox just to see season 4, but we're getting our money's worth with other Brit mystery series.

Posts: 99 | Location: Bremerton, WA | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Adding Britbox was a great deal. Agree about the quality of shows. Broadchurch was also good but I don't think it's being renewed.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
We enjoyed Shetland.

Check out Retribution as well. Shares some of the actors.

What is this Britbox you speak of?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
We enjoyed Shetland.

Check out Retribution as well. Shares some of the actors.

What is this Britbox you speak of?

Britbox is a pay channel on Amazon Prime. It offers a lot of British tv shows, costs $7/month. I think I stumbled on it while searching for Shetland after reading this thread.