SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Current photos of WWI battlefields
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Current photos of WWI battlefields Login/Join 
posted

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very interesting. I watched an old movie recently about the WWII German rocket base at Peenemunde. I looked at the site on Google Earth and the base is easily seen and so are many bomb craters.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
cool

currently reading Rommel's WW1 book 'Infantry Attacks'

--------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of callibird
posted Hide Post
Very nice, thank you for sharing.

And is it just me, or did that first photo look like and old style Scottish links golf course?

But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Posts: 935 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: August 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
cool

currently reading Rommel's WW1 book 'Infantry Attacks'

--------------------------------------

So did Patton....

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Good photos.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of prepsheriff
posted Hide Post
Sobering...

Airborne ! All the Way!!

Posts: 904 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: January 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prepsheriff:
Sobering...

It's impossible to imagine the carnage on these battlefields. On one of my trips to Europe I spent a couple days in Ypres and saw the usual sights. I remember visiting the Tyne Cot Cemetery and another with something like 50,000 unknowns.

In the city, I watched the ceremony where the buglers play "Last Post" every night.

Very sad.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very sobering

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
It's been a hundred years. I didn't realize there were so many battlefields remaining. I thought they would have been built over.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
My grandfather was with the 89th Division in WWI. One of my biggest regrets is not having an opportunity to talk to him about it. He was killed in a car wreck while on a fishing trip when I was just 3.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
The Great War channel on youtube is an excellent 4 year study of this week-by-week history of WWI recounting the actions of 100 years ago.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I first studied WWI seriously as a grad student taking 20th century US military history. I will never get over reading the stats and realizing that I had already lived longer than these millions I was reading about. The scale of the suffering is mind boggling.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post