SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Damnation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Damnation Login/Join 
posted
I thought it might be good I only saw a picture ad on some website I was browsing. I got twenty minutes in and decided it is not for me, I can put up with bad acting and script but when weapons in a period piece are so obviously wrong I'm out. I'm just going to say it's set in 1931 and watch when the guy pulls out a 1911 with Novak style sights, the prop master messed up bad.

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 884 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I noticed that, too, but tried not to let it bug me - mostly without success. I was also surprised to find out that it was supposedly set in Kentucky coal country, since so much of it looks like the Dust Bowl. Apparently, fictional "Holden County" (if I understood the name correctly) contains a wide diversity of climates.
Nonetheless, it caught my interest and I'm going to continue watching for awhile.

Posts: 630 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cazio:
I got twenty minutes in and decided it is not for me, I can put up with bad acting and script but when weapons in a period piece are so obviously wrong I'm out.
I'm just going to say it's set in 1931 and watch when the guy pulls out a 1911 with Novak style sights, the prop master messed up bad.

So some incorrect pistol sights is enough to send you packin'?
Well whatta know? Eek

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dialog about "ripping off" the common man in that time period is pretty sad, too. The setting is only about thirty years before that term was invented.
It's really a pretty entertaining show, though.
Chris Heyerdahl is becoming ubiquitous. He's becoming one of those actors with a role in every series.

Posts: 630 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Yes, some of the gun stuff is questionable at best, but I like the show overall.

Saying the first episode was gritty would be an understatement of British proportions.

Will be interested in hearing from the forum membership regarding the historical accuracy of the subject matter.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of radinski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by murphman:
I noticed that, too, but tried not to let it bug me - mostly without success. I was also surprised to find out that it was supposedly set in Kentucky coal country, since so much of it looks like the Dust Bowl. Apparently, fictional "Holden County" (if I understood the name correctly) contains a wide diversity of climates.
Nonetheless, it caught my interest and I'm going to continue watching for awhile.

I believe the majority of the story is happening in Iowa. There seems to be some linkage to coal mine strikes in Holden County Kentucky but I think that is to flesh out the story line of the birth of unionism and the terrible working conditions, and class struggle happening during this period.

Posts: 272 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: January 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post