SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster Login/Join 
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted
I am reading The Phantom Tollbooth to my youngest son who is nine, and am loving his reactions. I have read this a few times and really enjoy the metaphor, simile, and word play used by the author. The Phantom Tollbooth was made into a feature length movie in the late 1960s or early 1970s.

Norton Juster has also written "The Dot and the Line: a romance in mathematics" which also was turned into a cartoon.

If you want a good light hearted read this is a book you will enjoy, and if you have kids share it with them as they will get some of the humor.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quiet observer
posted Hide Post
I bought the movie and my boys love it.

Semper Fidelis

Posts: 985 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: March 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I received my first copy when I was 10 from my aunt, who was an English teacher. My kids got their copies when they were 10. If grandkids are in the future, they will get theirs.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Not familiar with it but good on you for reading to your son. There is no greater gift you can give a child then instilling a love of reading in them and it starts with reading them stories that captivate their imagination.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
Not familiar with it but good on you for reading to your son. There is no greater gift you can give a child then instilling a love of reading in them and it starts with reading them stories that captivate their imagination.

Oh you have to read it. It is a fantastically grand book, and as an adult you will be more appreciative of the word play.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post