SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Good shootouts.....in books
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good shootouts.....in books Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
We know all the good movie shootouts, but what about the literary side of the house? What are some good shootout “scenes” that you’ve read?

I nominate the daycare shootout from Tom Clancy’s “Executive Orders”

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
I nominate the daycare shootout from Tom Clancy’s “Executive Orders”

This same scene popped into my head before I even clicked on the link.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

American Gunfight, by Stephen Hunter, details an assassination attempt on Harry Truman by two Puerto Rican nationalists, in 1950. Interwoven with the plot lines is a second-by-second account of the 38 second gunfight between the BG's and the Secret Service.

Also, Tom Clancy's Patriot Games had a pretty good gunfight at Jack Ryan's house on the Chesapeake Bay.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haven't read it in a while, but I seem to remember that there was a good one in "Gorky Park."

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
"Dead Man's Walk" (one of the prequels to "Lonesome Dove") had a good one between Call (and Gus) and Buffalo Hump. It was the reason the Comanche called Call Gun-in-the-Water.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The "Prey" series by John Sanford has good gun stuff. And his books about that fuckin Flowers.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
The "Prey" series by John Sanford has good gun stuff. And his books about that fuckin Flowers.

The shootout with the DEA and the meth producers in Dark of the Moon was good.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's been too long since I read them to recall specific scenes, but early Stephen Hunter had some good ones. In particular, "Hot Springs" comes to mind.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichN:
It's been too long since I read them to recall specific scenes, but early Stephen Hunter had some good ones. In particular, "Hot Springs"....

IIRC, there are good gunfights in just about everything Hunter has written. This includes books featuring Bob Lee Swagger or his father Earl.
Plus a few with neither character; "The Day Before Midnight" and "Dirty White Boys" are two that come to mind.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
IIRC, there are good gunfights in just about everything Hunter has written. This includes books featuring Bob Lee Swagger or his father Earl.
Plus a few with neither character; "The Day Before Midnight" and "Dirty White Boys" are two that come to mind.

In one of the later books he gave into some sensationalism when Ray Cruz gets shot with a .50 BMG and it throws his body something like 30 feet.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a good one in the beginning of "Hannibal".

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Guns, Bullets, and Gunfights
Jim Cirillo's Tales of the Stakeout Squad

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichN:

In one of the later books he gave into some sensationalism when Ray Cruz gets shot with a .50 BMG and it throws his body something like 30 feet.

Ray Cruz, a blast from the past. He was the lead in the very short book where bad guys attack Mall of America. I thought he would replace Bob Lee, but that now appears unlikely even though Bob will soon be using a walker.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
No love for Mack Bolan?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rainbow six and Without Remorse from Clancy are good but its been a minute since I've read them. I've been doing alot of non ficton lately so its hard to come up with too much.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
No love for Mack Bolan?

Mack was the original Punisher....

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
The shootout on the Taliblue Trail in the Stephen Hunter novel Black Light.

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
then there's the prevention of shootouts...

The 15:17 to Paris: The True Story of a Terrorist, a Train, and Three American Heroes

fast, good read. i'm ready for Clint's film now.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
In Stephen Hunter's Time to Hunt, the chase/shootout between snipers Bob Lee Swagger and Solaratov.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
"Dead Man's Walk" (one of the prequels to "Lonesome Dove") had a good one between Call (and Gus) and Buffalo Hump. It was the reason the Comanche called Call Gun-in-the-Water.

^^^^^^^

Best reading I've had , from many years ago.

Many a night sitting up reading all those Westerns, when I should have gone to bed, getting up at 5 am wasn't easy.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post