SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Just started watching Edge of Tomorrow
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just started watching Edge of Tomorrow Login/Join 
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted
I forgot that Bill Paxton was in it. Makes me sad now. He was/is one of my favorite actors. Frown

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Just re-watched a bit of this one last night and I'd forgotten about him being in it, too. Another role he played very well.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
You mean the gritty reboot of Groundhog Day?

I had to go look him up because I don't remember him in it. It was a rather minor role, but he slipped into it well enough to make you forget it was him.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
How could you forget Bill's role in this? He had a good part and some good lines.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I did not know Bill Paxton had passed.

Prayers for him and his family.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hberttmank:
How could you forget Bill's role in this? He had a good part and some good lines.

Because in the movie he was not playing Bill Paxton, he was Master Sergeant Farell. Smile

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
quote:
Originally posted by hberttmank:

Because in the movie he was not playing Bill Paxton, he was Master Sergeant Farell. Smile

In Edge, he reminded me of an older, military version of the character he plays in Weird Science.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I just recently saw that he has a new movie coming out called Mean Dreams. Looks to have potential to be a good movie.

Director of Bill Paxton's Final Film Gives Touching Tribute: 'I Lost a Big Brother'
BY MIKE MILLER

POSTED ON MARCH 17, 2017 AT 5:36PM EDT

In a year filled with shocking and untimely celebrity deaths, Bill Paxton’s passing has been especially devastating for the Hollywood community. His spirit and vitality on and off set has left even those who never knew him feeling as if they’d lost an old friend.

For his real friends — those who saw his energy and love for life everyday — his death last month at the age of 61 still feels like an impossible mistake. Nathan Morlando, who directed Paxton on his final film shoot for the indie-thriller Mean Dreams, opens up to PEOPLE about losing a friend and a unique talent.

“It was brutal,” says the director, who woke up to a text explaining the news. “I was filled with disbelief. Bill had just taken me out for a beautiful lunch so our wives could meet, and we were becoming really close. Bill was becoming like a big brother to me and I was very grateful for that. I was really looking forward to our future together as friends and collaborators. So it was a lot of crying. We spent days crying actually, reflecting on him and his greatness and generosity.”

Paxton’s role in Mean Dreams, as a dirty cop and abusive dad, was a departure from his normal repertoire, which was part of what drew Morlando to him in the first place. “We wanted someone fresh for the role,” he explains. “I think when we normally think of Bill, we think of him in very vibrant, positive and often light roles. For us, it was a very fresh perspective.”

For Paxton, the role of Wayne Caraway offered more than just a chance to delve into a complicated villain — it was a chance to relive an episode from his own life with a new perspective. In the film, a teenage neighborhood farm hand rescues Wayne’s daughter after he witnesses Wayne beating her. The teenagers then go on the run with a bag of cash stolen from Wayne’s dealings as a dirty cop.

While there might not have been a duffel bag full of money in the mix when Paxton lived it, the film’s plot has some eerie similarities to an episode from his youth. “The character of Wayne was someone he knew from his past life, back when he was a teenager,” Morlando explains.

“He was compelled to rescue a girl from a very similar situation, so it struck a very deep chord in him — it was like confronting a ghost from his past. It gives me chills just thinking about it,” he adds. “It was a way of really confronting this time in his life, and this person in his life. It felt like something he needed to do and wanted to do. It was amazing.”

So, after wrapping up production on a Tom Hanks film in Los Angeles, Paxton flew to Northern Ontario to join the low-budget project, starring two unknown (for now) teenage actors: Josh Wiggins and Sophie Nélisse. As the biggest star on the film, Paxton’s commitment and enthusiasm was infectious for the rest of the cast and crew.

“When he came up to Northern Ontario, he had left beautiful, warm L.A. weather, where he was shooting a movie with Tom Hanks,” Morlando says with a laugh. “Then he lands in Canada, where it was freezing cold, he was making no money, and the whole production was a physical challenge. And he was just incredible, he did it for the role and it was just inspiring to all of us.”

Morlando remembers fondly the day Paxton first arrived in the small town of Sault Ste. Marie. Unbeknownst to the actor, it was Canadian Thanksgiving, and all the stores and restaurants were closed. In Paxton’s eyes, his new home for the month seemed like a veritable ghost town. “He was probably walking around like, ‘Oh my god, what I have gotten myself into,’ ” Morlando says with a laugh. When he finally met Paxton later in the day, he explained the situation.

“It was beautifully resolved when we hosted a Canadian Thanksgiving in a laundromat, because that was the only big space we could get,” says the director. “And he loved it. He really felt like he had found his artist’s truth, because there was a wildness to Bill. He really, really loved that and talked about it often.”

When he finally arrived on set, Paxton refused to be treated differently from the rest of the cast. “The moment you meet Bill, especially if he notices that you’re seeing him in a certain way, he breaks that down immediately,” Morlando says. “He is just a lovely, generous human being and he treats everybody with the same respect and regard. He’s just filled with such respect for people, and he instantly wasn’t the star, he was the artist.”

Paxton delivers a chilling performance in the film, seamlessly alternating between the paternal warmth of his Big Love character Bill Hendrickson, and the abusive, unhinged aggression of his Training Day character Det. Rourke. “We wanted to confront Wayne’s addiction in all its brutality and delusional nature and not shy away from it,” says Morlando, who wanted to capture “the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde nature of addiction.” He adds, “When Paxton was in character you would feel Wayne’s energy. When he’d walk passed you it would give you the creeps, and just a moment before he was Bill Paxton, the lovely guy you want to hang out with.”

See Where 6 Stars Were Before They Were Famous
Many of your favorite stars were not always as fortunate as they are now. See which celebrities roughed it out before making it big.
Paxton was fully committed to the part, which was as physically challenging as it was emotionally. “It was freezing outside for the shoot, much colder than it looks onscreen. The crew behind the camera was wearing literal arctic gear; we were filming outside for upwards of 15 hours a day,” says Morlando. “Bill’s in a thin leather jacket and a thin shirt and he’s toughing it out. His attitude on set was incredible. Even if he was not on camera, he was always an inspiring presence on set for others and he become everybody’s friend. It was so genuine.”

The director remembers on the last day of shooting, which required Paxton to lie in the mud and freezing rain, he took the time to thank the crew before getting warm. “Now here’s a guy who’s a movie star, lying in the mud, not getting paid for it, and then thanks this crew who worked so hard,” Morlando says. “This wasn’t a famous crew either, they were mostly young Northern filmmakers who were committed and inspired by him and he delivered a beautiful tribute while he was still wet with mud. He was just a wonderful human being and artist.”

Mean Dreams hits theaters on Friday, and Paxton’s memorial service will be held the following Monday. “This was a guy who was going to keep going. He was always in a new stage of creativity, and he was really excited about what was coming,” says the director. “It’s so hard to comprehend that he’s gone, he’s one of those forces that you believe will always exist.”

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
It's already out, at least in my neck of the woods.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
^^^ Big Grin LOL Big Grin

posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I am actually a HUGE fan of this movie.

As much as Tom Cruise is a friggin weirdo, i have to admit he is a very good actor, at least in the sense that I enjoy so many of his movies.

Maybe it is that as a "A" list actor he gets the best scripts, maybe it is that he makes decent scripts good...

Either way, I love this one, and it further solidifies him as one of my most enjoyed (not most talented, but more ENJOYED) modern actors.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:

As much as Tom Cruise is a friggin weirdo, i have to admit he is a very good actor, at least in the sense that I enjoy so many of his movies.

Maybe it is that as a "A" list actor he gets the best scripts, maybe it is that he makes decent scripts good...

Either way, I love this one, and it further solidifies him as one of my most enjoyed (not most talented, but more ENJOYED) modern actors.

My theory is him being a freaking wack job is what makes him a good actor.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I agree, Kevin.

And yeah, Paxton was good in this one, too. It's a shame he died.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is one movie I can watch over and over again and usually watch it when it comes on. I am not a big Tom fan but the chemistry with all of the actors was good and made fro a great viewing experience. They story line was good. Besides, Emily Blunt being easy on the eyes doesn't hurt either.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I favorite of mine as well. Incredible in 3D on a 9'+ screen.

I like Cruise in Knight and Day -- adds a dash of comedy to his typical role. Good interplay with Cameron Diaz.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:

I think it's a combination of things. Being Tom Cruise, he doesn't audition for parts, he produces all his own movies so he doesn't make anything unless he wants to make it. That gives him a power not many in Hollywood have.

I think he's also been in the game long enough to know what people like and he truly enjoys entertaining people.

The Rock is in a very similar position.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
The only thing about Cruise is that when his career started, he specifically went out of his way to do a variety of genres in order to avoid being typecast, yet all he's done for the past fifteen years or so have been action films. Other than Lions for Lambs all he's done is action since doing Vanilla Sky in 2001. He's still a good dramatic actor and I wish he'd do something other than action.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I like the movie. It's a good treatment of the time loop sci fi concept.

Didn't know it was Bill Paxton playing the MSgt. I'm now even more impressed with him. I think that's the mark of a good actor when you can't recognize him in different roles.

Regarding Cruise, I've always said that if you've seen a movie where Cruise gets mad and goes on a rant, then you've seen all his movies.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
The only thing about Cruise is that when his career started, he specifically went out of his way to do a variety of genres in order to avoid being typecast, yet all he's done for the past fifteen years or so have been action films. Other than Lions for Lambs all he's done is action since doing Vanilla Sky in 2001. He's still a good dramatic actor and I wish he'd do something other than action.

Cruise is a huge star overseas, in India, China, etc. I suspect he is tailoring his choices with that in consideration. Also the guy is over 50 yo and I'm sure his days of being a physical action star are numbered, thus the rush to do them now. The guy has put out a lot of movies in the last 10 years.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post