SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Greatest Showman
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Greatest Showman Login/Join 
Picture of dlc444
posted
For those who like musicals, you should enjoy this. Extremely well produced and casted. At a couple of points I felt like I was at a Broadway theater rather than a movie theater. Almost started clapping.

The snooty critics didn't like it too much since it glossed over much of Barnum's dark side of life, but screw them - this wasn't a biography, it was a musical.

The choreography was excellent, the costumes were great and the music, although sometimes a little "popish" went along very well.

I would recommend at the theater, as big a screen as you can find.

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had never heard of this movie until my daughter asked me to take her on opening night. I wasn’t expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised. We really enjoyed it.

Posts: 103 | Registered: June 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I watched this with my 10 year old tonight.

Suspending any historical angles...watching it solely for entertainment, I walked out giving it a 10/10. I'll give it a few days to simmer, and we may take the wife to see it over the weekend...but the things they did right, they did perfect.

It is certainly the most enjoyable movie I remember watching in a long time.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Somehow the bride and I missed the memo that this was a musical haha - nonetheless, we thoroughly enjoyed it. Hugh Jackman and the rest of the cast are a mighty talented bunch!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Obvious
posted Hide Post
I have heard from multiple people that this movie was excellent. Unfortunately with a 3yr old, we don't get to a theater as often as we'd like so we will be waiting till its for rental on the streaming boxes.

Posts: 3364 | Registered: July 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This one has my attention. I'd like to go see it.

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3477 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
My wife and daughter are at the movie right now. I didn't want to go, to much to do right now. Sounds like I missed a good opportunity.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sphill:
I have heard from multiple people that this movie was excellent. Unfortunately with a 3yr old, we don't get to a theater as often as we'd like so we will be waiting till its for rental on the streaming boxes.

This really is one that is probably best on the Big Screen.

As said above, it really feels like a broadway show.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dlc444:
The snooty critics didn't like it too much since it glossed over much of Barnum's dark side of life ...

And yet most critics really approved of Straight Outta Compton.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
We liked it quite a bit. Definitely one to see in a theater and when released on video, with a great sound system.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was the feel good movie of the year

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
My wife, two daughters, and I went to it last night, and all four of really liked it. It was cheese, but earnest cheese and wonderfully done in every aspect. As others have mentioned, it often felt more like Broadway than Hollywood.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I saw this last night and really enjoyed it. If you're looking for a generally light-hearted musical with the feel of "live", this is it.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38642 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
My wife is in love with this movie and insisted I watch it with her as I had made her watch Last Jedi as our last choice.

It was interesting, period piece with modern music and dancing, kind of strange to me but entertaining.

Happy wife, happy life. Right?

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I really like the music in it.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
It was interesting, period piece with modern music and dancing, kind of strange to me but entertaining.

Sorta like Moulin Rouge?

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I passed on it last week while flying out west.... but may give it a try on the way back....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Family (women) took me.

I felt like the dad in the monty python skit from Holy Grail when his son kept trying to start a song. No more songs ! Stop the music !

Each time I thought they were about to have a conversation - NOPE - break into another song...

I Know - It's a musical. But still...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
Family (women) took me.

I felt like the dad in the monty python skit from Holy Grail when his son kept trying to start a song. No more songs ! Stop the music !

Each time I thought they were about to have a conversation - NOPE - break into another song...

I Know - It's a musical. But still...

That's funny. I've had a similar but opposite experience. We have a small community theater that often has musical performances like Mary Poppins. We've gone to a few shows thinking they were musicals, getting about halfway through them just to realize they weren't going to sing.

posted Hide Post
Watched it on an airline flight the other day. A little too touchy feely/feel good for me. Maybe at 29 I’m becoming a jaded old man. Music is memorable and I’m glad Hugh isn’t stuck as only Wolverine. Not many actors can escape being associated with specific roles. There were a few times that I checked out during the movie and was wondering where we were going with the quick points they’d make. It’s like they compressed the wrong parts and drug out others?

Anywho, check it out and let me know what you think!

Posts: 105 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post