SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The golden age of rail travel. Great photos.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The golden age of rail travel. Great photos. Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
The golden age of rail travel. I would’ve loved to be on that train.

“Recently unearthed vintage photographs from more than 50 years ago reveal how the night train from London to Paris operated in order to move across the Channel.

The black and white images show a passenger hanging his coat up in a compartment on the train, another settling down in her bed for the night and passengers waiting at Dover before taking the night train back to London Victoria.

Also among the collection are images showing the ferry boat from Dover to Dunkirk being loaded with passengers from the night train carriages, chefs in the kitchen serving a dining car on the London-Paris night train and passengers disembarking at the Gare du Nord in Paris.

The remarkable photographs that have now been brought back to life were taken aboard the London-Paris train service in 1952…”

https://mol.im/a/6794513

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting. Had never heard of such a train. I see that smoking in bed was OK in the early 50s.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Holy cow, they would load the train onto a ferry? I have never heard of that before. Very cool - thanks for sharing.

Love that locomotive, what a great picture.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3590 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Pretty good photography as well.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post