SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    New Chappelle on Netflix
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Chappelle on Netflix Login/Join 
Picture of ravens1775
posted
Anyone catch the 2 new stand-up specials on Netflix? I liked them. I was worried he'd be rusty. Same Chappelle humor, just from a guy who has experienced a bit more of life. Good mix of call backs to his time in the spotlight and what has happened in the last 10+ years since walking away. He got a little preachy in one of the specials, but, between the 2, actually laughed out loud maybe 5 or 6 times. That's pretty good for watching it by myself.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched them last night. Not bad. I liked the one in Texas a little better. Though I don't think I had any moments where I had to pause/re-wind because of a laughing fit or anything.

If this had been 10 years ago, I probably would have laughed a bit more than I did. Not that I was offended or anything like a lot of people seemed to be. I just don't find the profanity/crude humor as funny as I used to. But I knew exactly what to expect going in. I mainly wanted to see them because it was Dave Chappelle and to see if he would talk about his absence some.

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
I just watched the first one and had many laugh out loud moments. Though there was some profanity and crudeness, I didn't think it was over the top like many do.

I've missed Dave s great deal. He's always been one of my favorites, seems to reach across to all types of people. Just when you think he might start getting to preachy about one thing, he'll switch over to a polar opposite view. He's an equal opportunity offender and reminds us, relax folks, it's a comedy bit.

I thought the bit about Bill Cosby was great.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
I just watched the first one and had many laugh out loud moments. Though there was some profanity and crudeness, I didn't think it was over the top like many do.

I've missed Dave s great deal. He's always been one of my favorites, seems to reach across to all types of people. Just when you think he might start getting to preachy about one thing, he'll switch over to a polar opposite view. He's an equal opportunity offender and reminds us, relax folks, it's a comedy bit.

I thought the bit about Bill Cosby was great.

We just watched them both, pretty good. Be warned....the Austin one is a lot cruder-more sexually oriented.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to see these....

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rusty? He never stopped doing standup. He would just do small sets announced day of or he would just go up unannounced at a comedy club somewhere. No one is not going to tell Chappelle he can't go up.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Watched the first one (not Austin) the other night. Pretty good. Not as good as Killing them Softly, but still good. I get a little tired of everything centering on his "blackness" but I know that's central to a lot of his comedy. Still one of the great comedy minds of the last 20 years.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
watched the LA one with the wife tonight and we both laughed our asses off.

Felt good to watch 'real' comedy again and not this watered down, political, uber PC bullshit that people try to pander as comedy these days.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have not seen the new stuff,but his old stuff is funny as hell.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
Rusty? He never stopped doing standup. He would just do small sets announced day of or he would just go up unannounced at a comedy club somewhere. No one is not going to tell Chappelle he can't go up.

That's kinda neat. Didn't know that. Yeah, I guess he did talked a little about that in one of the sets. I read yesterday that he did a lot of small, local gigs in his Ohio town.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Watched back to back. I chuckled a few times.

Breitbart: Chapelle/Rock
http://trib.al/vKYx9DJ

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
The wife and I are currently catching up on all 5 seasons of Person of Interest on Netflix. Chapelle is next after that.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post