SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Insurance rates in the Old West
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Insurance rates in the Old West Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
I’ve been staying with my Mom on weekends.
Luckily she is almost as big fan of the Old Westerns as I am.Big Grin

So, watching all these 100% historically accurate westerns from the 1950’s and 60’s made me realize something.
I bet you couldn’t hardly get insurance on a saloon in the Old West. It seems that is the first place to get shot up, trashed out and just in general wrecked when trouble starts.
Busted furniture, shattered plate glass windows (and bar mirrors), etc.
I’m sure the “Ladies” upstairs qualified for hazard pay from all the 45 slugs passing through their floorboards.

It’s no wonder they couldn’t afford to properly attach the stairway bannisters that led upstairs.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Razz Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've thought the same thing. A fight or shootout over every insult and accusation of card cheating, who could afford the cost of all that damage? Every saloon owner should have invested in metal chairs, plastic cups, plastic whiskey bottles and lots of chewing gum to plug all those bullet holes in the walls.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And it must be tough to keep rain out after everyone has fired shots into the ceiling!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
And there are guns lying around everywhere that no one ever picks up. Every time someone gets told 'toss it on the ground' everyone just walks away and leaves it after the scene is done.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
The rates were probably sky high, because in the old TV westerns, the writers never seemed to adjust the prices down accordingly for the time period. Big Grin

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And the water trough out front....was that the saloon owner’s responsibility? Or a municipal service?
Those got lots of holes also.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Glass coverage must've been insane too. Somebody was ALWAYS getting tossed out a window big enough to drive a stagecoach through.

Thick skins too, nobody ever seemed to bleed much from the experience.

Ammo sales would've been the business to be in.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Y'all recognized the fact there was a VERY ample supply of replacement stock, right?

Broken stuff was replaced within a day or two according to some of the storylines. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
They ran out of money paying for the stagecoach insurance.

That and buying trains that only go slower than horses... Confused

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking of how slow travel was....what if your insurance adjuster was from out of town?
In the fort night it took him get on-site, your saloon (or mercantile, those were hot spots for trouble too, apparently) could be trashed three, four, maybe 1/2 dozen times. How do you start the paperwork for multiple claims?
Or do you just get the last one?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
And the water trough out front....was that the saloon owner’s responsibility? Or a municipal service?
Those got lots of holes also.

How come the same cowboy, who the day before was shooting silver dollars out of the air, now can't hit a bad guy, whose head is a foot over the water trough?

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine had a Colt SAA that was a family heirloom. Made 1888. Seemed to be tight and operating properly. We loaded some .45 Colt black powder rounds to see how it shot.
At 15 yards, you were lucky if you could put all 6 into about a 6 inch circle. Not a tack driver. Huge fun, though. And it was cool to shoot a true piece of history.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

Broken stuff was replaced within a day or two according to some of the storylines. Wink

Well they saved a lot of money wearing the same clothes all the time, day after day, year after year.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
A friend of mine had a Colt SAA that was a family heirloom. Made 1888. Seemed to be tight and operating properly. We loaded some .45 Colt black powder rounds to see how it shot.
At 15 yards, you were lucky if you could put all 6 into about a 6 inch circle. Not a tack driver. Huge fun, though. And it was cool to shoot a true piece of history.

You just needed more practice. Those Colts are capable of 100 yard hip shots from the draw, kicking the glasses out of people's hands, shooting guns out of hands, etc.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I agree.

A bit of practice and you'll be able to shoot as good as the Waco Kid.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I can't help wonder about the quality of medical care. Actually I don't wonder, I just think about it and am appalled.
Any wound in COM -> dead within days if not sooner
Any wound in an extremity -> amputation if you're lucky

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I can't help wonder about the quality of medical care. Actually I don't wonder, I just think about it and am appalled.
Any wound in COM -> dead within days if not sooner
Any wound in an extremity -> amputation if you're lucky

You obviously haven’t been watching the same “Historical Documents” that we have.
“Gut shot” was your biggest worry. And usually only if you wore a black hat. A shot to an extremity was only worth a few days with an arm sling or a crutch for a leg shot.
Femoral arteries didn’t exist, apparently. Or were too small to hit.
Broken bones mend in just a few days.

Geez. Do some research. Big Grin

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
"We gotta get the bullet out!" Funny that screen writers are still working that into story lines to this day. Apparently the reason to get the bullet out has been lost on them.

posted Hide Post
Don't know about insurance rates,but if we could still get our hands on those 100 round revolvers and winchesters or gatltin guns that you could crank all day. Obviously before the high capacity mag ban!!

Posts: 141 | Location: Ma. | Registered: November 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post